Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Floor plans- do you review them?

Registered
    Jan 2005

Floor plans- do you review them?

Do you review floor plans with site plan submittals? My feeling is that it is not neccessary for planners to review them, although it is important for the Fire Department to see them. And they should be provided with the permitting submittal. Any thoughts?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Generally, yes, but at a more schematic/architectural level. We need them to assist in determining parking requirements, most often, especially is multi-tenant/use developments.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The only time I request them, as a planner, is if the site (usually infill/redevelopment) is tight regarding parking. Our parking standards are based off of GFA and sometimes, like in the conversion of a house to an office, we need to see floorplans in order to subtract non-usable space in the structure to allow for our parking standards. I have subtracted the squarefootage of closets, hallways, and atruims in order to shave 1-2 spaces off of the standard.

When our parking standards get revised, we will need to see the floorplans of multi-family dwellings in order to check parking. Parking will be per-unit type if things get passed.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yes, but they are not emphasized. The floor plan will usually give us an indication of potential problems. Where is the kitchen versus loading or trash areas. How does outdoor seating relate to the internal layout. How large is the bar area and does that seem to correspond to what the applicant is telling us about the ratio of alchohol to food sales. How does parking relate to the lobby entrance. Pretty basic stuff.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    The only time I request them, as a planner, is if the site (usually infill/redevelopment) is tight regarding parking. Our parking standards are based off of GFA and sometimes, like in the conversion of a house to an office, we need to see floorplans in order to subtract non-usable space in the structure to allow for our parking standards. I have subtracted the squarefootage of closets, hallways, and atruims in order to shave 1-2 spaces off of the standard.

When our parking standards get revised, we will need to see the floorplans of multi-family dwellings in order to check parking. Parking will be per-unit type if things get passed.
    That's about like us. We don't care about single-family attached/detached house plans (standard parking based on the use), but require them for all other uses so we can check parking and anything that might trigger a conditional use permit--like when we spot a live music stage and they've conveniently forgot to apply for their CUP. It doesn't add to the review time though because of our consolidated permit review system we have going now.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 3:04 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Sep 2008, 1:13 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 11:52 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Jul 2005, 3:19 PM