Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban hotel drop off areas

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Urban hotel drop off areas

I have a question or request for examples. I am working on a hotel project where they have proposed using the public right of way for their passenger drop off and valet area. This City is opposed to this as we would lose potential public beach parking (site is near the beach). From my understanding, hotels that have nearly 100% building coverage use the underground parking garage as their drop off area and valet parking area. Is this not the case or do you know of any other types of examples in this particular situation.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AugieDog View post
    I have a question or request for examples. I am working on a hotel project where they have proposed using the public right of way for their passenger drop off and valet area. This City is opposed to this as we would lose potential public beach parking (site is near the beach). From my understanding, hotels that have nearly 100% building coverage use the underground parking garage as their drop off area and valet parking area. Is this not the case or do you know of any other types of examples in this particular situation.
    There are several hotels in San Francisco that either use the underground parking area for dropoff, or have a cutaway from the bottom floor or drive through for drop off.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    In Boston hotels are not permitted to have their drop-off area in the ROW. Several large properties have used the ground floor level for this purpose and then built over it.

Several hospitals here do the same thing. I had a hospital project recently that will use the entire first floor of their sub-grade parking garage as a valet/drop-off area.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Many of the hotels here in DC are 100% coverage and they use the ROW as drop off, what a mess it causes esp with the larger limo/Hummer etc.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Not completely on topic, but a planned hotel drop-off in Boston ended up at the Massachusetts Executive Office of Environmental Affairs. The pedestrian advocacy group WalkBoston successfully challenged the hotel's planned use of the public sidewalk for loading and unloading.

Go to this page and check out the 500 Atlantic Avenue heading:

http://www.walkboston.org/projects/current_efforts.htm

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban hotel pictures
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Oct 2007, 5:36 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 29 Dec 2004, 1:03 PM
  3. Hotel vs. Condo vs. Resort Hotel
    Land Use and Zoning