Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: San Francisco - stuff to see

San Francisco - stuff to see

I have five days in San Francisco planned in mid-November for the wife and I for her surpise milestone birthday.

Any sage advice on what to see and what not to see (both planning and non-planning) or other general useful tidbits of information?

Thanks.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    After my trip in the spring my must see for anyone is Muirwoods. I'd also rent a car and go to Napa. riding my bike over the bridge and taking the ferry back was also enjoyable.

here are pics from my trip

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show...y.php?cat=6443
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2007
    One place you probably won't see mentioned by many people - the new Federal Building:

http://www.aia.org/SiteObjects/files/morphosis.pdf

Strange architecture, especially in probably the most architecturally conservative American city - and the best new viewing deck in the City. The public is welcome on the viewing deck and you get an outstanding view of City Hall.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Take the BART ferry to Sausalito and spend the day or part of it walking to art galleries & restaurants. The ferry runs on a regular schedule and is less expensive than the tour boats. You'll get a great view of SF, pass by Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. If you decide that you just have to go to Alcatraz, book your tour well in advance or be prepared to be disappointed.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Plan Man,
    Want to do some shopping? Try Union Square. Mrs CPSU loves to shop there every now and again. Make sure to pick up some gellato in North Beach, and have a slice of pizza at Blondie's just north of the Market Street Cable Car station. Take in some art at SF MoMA and the DeYoung Museum (easily accessible through Muni). Nov. starts to get a little cold, so make sure you go to golden gate park in the afternoon, not the morning and visit the Japanese Tea Gardens. Want something non-toursity and cheap latin food? Go down to the Mission District (PM for some quality restaurants). Got sometime to see some sites in the East Bay? I recommend going to Downtown Walnut Creek (fellow bay area residents snicker now, but hey, i think it is a great downtown). Have fun!
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I knew I posted a similar question

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ight=francisco

I also had a good time in the mission district, you could always be a pal and get me a pair of jeans from selfedge. Definitely try a burrito in the Mission (just not one filled with brains or eyes)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Thanks all - great list of selections.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Whiskey Petes

Sweet ass bar in the Tenderloin District!!

Go eat at Blue.

My wif eand I tried a place we saw on Food Network called Blue. It's a tiny little place that serves amazing food. Pretty much all comfort style food. The Mac & Cheese will change your life. Anwyay it's a good stop because A) good food, and B) it's right in the middle of the Castro District. If you're going all the way to SF, you might as well jump in with both feet and experience the Castro. For those who don't know, that's the most predominantly gay section of town. Eating at Blue will give you a true, positive SF experience.

Oh and do yourself a favor and go drive through Golden Gate Park. It really is a massive and beautiful place. Excellent respite from the hectic urban pace of the City.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I agree with rift about Golden Gate Park. An old housemate took me to the tea house in the park after we walked across the bridge and back one fine spring day. It was very peaceful and quiet after being so near all that traffic for so long.

Its a traditional touristy thing but there are also some great views and murals at Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill.

Okay - now the local stuff

Crab Cakes at Palamino (absolutely required, you can park at Hill Bros. garage for free for 6 hrs.); Dinner at Boulevard - it's difificult to get reservations, but show up before 8 PM and eat in the bar tables, they will throw on white tablecloth and treat you just the same; Dinner at Absinthe (Hayes Street) and Opera or Symphony ( Davies or War Memorial); ANY art opening at either Yerba Buena (there is one every weeknight on Friday) or SF Art Institute (ditto for Sat); If you rent a car (pain in the ass, but head north on 101, Stop at GG Bridge and take photos of North Point) divert to 121 and then 12 - go to Sonoma and visit Vella Cheese for picnic items, then head north to Kunde Cellars and BR Cohn, either place for picnic. Another City diversion is First Crush for dinner (Cyril Magnin) and then Biscuits and Blues for entertainment. Lastly you can check this all out in the Sunday Pink Section of the Chron www.sfgate.com.

Enjoy Yourselves!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Stuff
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 10:38 AM
  2. Hello from San Francisco
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 1:49 PM
  3. Hi from San Francisco