Urban planning community

Poll results: What type of laefest are you looking forward to?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • $$ Alcohol only - regular happy hour time

1 33.33%
  • $$ Dinner and alcohol - could run late

0 0%
  • $$ Alcohol and other entertainment - will run late

0 0%
  • $$ Don't care, just provide something to drink!!

1 33.33%
  • $$$$ Alcohol only - regular happy hour time

0 0%
  • $$$$ Dinner and alcohol - could run late

1 33.33%
  • $$$$ Alcohol and other entertainment - will run late

0 0%
  • $$$$ Don't care, just provide something to drink!!

0 0%
  • Other - please provide more info below

0 0%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: TxAPA Laefest

Registered
    Aug 2004

TxAPA Laefest

Based on the three (3) votes received, the TxAPA Laefest will be Wednesday, Oct. 17th in the evening.

Based on the responses to this poll, I will pick a venue that is appropriate. Don't worry - I don't expect our small group will have trouble on a week-night getting a table!

Lurkers welcome - please vote in the poll if you want to join us!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2004
    OK, with another three (3) votes, we will go somewhere with lots of alcohol, that doesn't cost too much, and if someone wants to grab a bite afterwards, in an effort to sop up the suds before driving, they can.
    Whew, that's a long sentence.
    Anyway, I've been a little busy interviewing for a new job, so I haven't nailed down a place yet. I'll get on it over the weekend.

IF YOU'RE COMING TO THE LAEFEST, PLEASE PM ME WITH YOUR CONTACT NUMBER. That way, in case you get lost, there's a helpful Cyburbian not far away. I will reply with mine.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2004
    The mini Laefest will be TONIGHT at

BJ's Restaurant and Brewery
    4901 Belt Line Rd, Dallas, TX 75254

We are meeting at 6ish. I'm coming from work, so depending on traffic I might be a little late.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    The mini Laefest will be TONIGHT at

BJ's Restaurant and Brewery
    4901 Belt Line Rd, Dallas, TX 75254

We are meeting at 6ish. I'm coming from work, so depending on traffic I might be a little late.
    I should be there early, as my office is right around the corner. How many are we expecting?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I should be there early, as my office is right around the corner. How many are we expecting?
    Right now, we are confirmed for 3 people:

Joe Iliff
    Salmissra
    Suburban Repairman

I've seen 'burb fixer's picture in the Post Pictures thread, and I already know you. Lurkers are welcome to attend!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It was great meeting Joe & Salmissra. The young lady with me was an intern from last year that left us for another job, but she still uses me as a mentor. Also, I was messing with her boss trying to get him worried that we were stealing her back.

Other notables from the conference:
    ran into Habanero at a hospitality suite
    ran into Poncho in a couple of sessions

hung out with bobcatplanner, TexanOkie, IPlanit (that username doesn't sound right though), and another member of their staff a lot at the conference. Beware--TexanOkie is a hell of a dancer! First time I've seen someone clear a dance floor in a hospitality suite--the guy has serious skills!
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 22 Oct 2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: to add another username to the list of people present

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I didn't make it for Wednesday, but fun times on Thursday! Met SuburbRepairman, IPlanit, and TexanOkie got a lot of us on the floor. Quite fun to see planners dance! I do not recommend 4 hours of sleep before a fun drive on I35.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero View post
    I didn't make it for Wednesday, but fun times on Thursday! Met SuburbRepairman, IPlanit, and TexanOkie got a lot of us on the floor. Quite fun to see planners dance! I do not recommend 4 hours of sleep before a fun drive on I35.
    Nor do I. I was fortunate enough to have my Town Next Door staff riding along with me to help keep me awake. Otherwise, you probably would have found me crossbred to a concrete median barrier somewhere around Waxhachie.

IPlanit & I had certainly consumed more than our fair share, but we helped contribute to the fun! Asking around, it sounds like our little group was pretty much the life of the party, but without making asses of ourselves (not everyone in that room could say that). Of course, there was my unfortunate attempt at two-stepping-while-intoxicated and attempting a breakdancing backspin after prodding from IPlanit, who also made his own attempt. Fortunately, there is no photographic evidence of this event!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the compliments?
    I'm pretty sure I embarrassed myself, but I did get you all to dance, so...

TxAPA was a blast. It was good to meet so many people. I was a little disappointed with the sessions I went to. My boss even expressed similar sentiment this morning.

Also, the other planner on our staff is bobcatplanner on this forum. It seems like everyone's TSU alumni.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Thanks for the compliments?
    I'm pretty sure I embarrassed myself, but I did get you all to dance, so...

TxAPA was a blast. It was good to meet so many people. I was a little disappointed with the sessions I went to. My boss even expressed similar sentiment this morning.

Also, the other planner on our staff is bobcatplanner on this forum. It seems like everyone's TSU alumni.
    Nothing to be embarrassed about--you were a serious hit!

My batting average wasn't too good on sessions this year. They looked like good topics on paper, but several of the presenters missed the mark on content & presentation. The food and hotel/conference facility also left a fair amount to be desired. I was a little surprised because I am familiar with the Intercontinental Hotel affiliation and they are usually much nicer.

As far as the fun factor though, this conference easily trumped all of the previous ones I've been to, including San Antonio national.

and yes, you can't throw a rock in a Texas planning department without hitting Texas State graduates. The new president of TxAPA is also an alumnus.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I was left baffled by having a NASA person giving a speech. My table wouldn't let me ask if a side affect of space travel for women was psychosis or if that was unrelated. I was just bitter about not getting any cheesecake.

Fortunately, there is no photographic evidence of this event!
    Heh, that's what you think.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Aug 2012, 6:47 PM
  2. OKI Laefest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Oct 2010, 11:06 AM
  3. NC APA Laefest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Aug 2010, 11:00 AM