Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Creating green buffers between neighborhoods and oil refineries

Registered
    Oct 2007

Creating green buffers between neighborhoods and oil refineries

I'm looking for information related to creating a green buffer between a neighborhood and several oil refineries. The problem I'm having is that the majority of the articles I'm finding are either strongly biased toward environmental groups, most of whom are opposed to oil refineries entirely, or biased toward the oil refineries with very little to say on the impact on the community.

My question is, do you know of any resources offhand that deal with passive use land zoning or ways that land can be utilized in a way that benefits the community but still leaves space between the refineries and the neighborhood?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Is this an undeveloped area? In one of my projects with chemical processing facilities we have advised a county, which is updating its land use plan, to show a 1/4 to 1/2 mile agricultural zone around the facility, and to discourage new residential development in that area. We based this recommendation on the evacuation zone in the event of an "incident" at the facility.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2007
    What kind of "odours" are produced from the refinery? Are you talking agricultural or wilderness zones to buffer?
    Try looking under chemical factories or coal power plants. Necessary evils for everyday life.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Todd, you should check out Strathcona County website. This municipality, which is located within the Edmonton metropolitan region, has adopted a Heavy Industrial Transition Overlay through its Land Use Bylaw.

http://webpub2.strathcona.ab.ca/NR/r...ss+94.0+KB.pdf
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Technology Creating a typocartographic map
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 8:44 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 12:10 PM
  3. Creating realistic buffers in GIS
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Mar 2007, 9:19 AM