Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Gore wins Noble Peace Prize for his work with Global Warming

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Gore wins Noble Peace Prize for his work with Global Warming

It was announced this morning that Al Gore (and the UN Global Warming Council) won the Noble Peace Prize for their work in educating the public about the human impact on the environment and how it is causing global warming.

What are your thoughts on Gore and the UN GWC winning the Prize? Do you think that the prize has the same significance that it once had? What other people have won this honor?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Do you think that the prize has the same significance that it once had? What other people have won this honor?
    Put it this way, infamous warmonger Teddy Roosevelt got the Nobel Peace prize for brokering the end of the Russo-Japanese war in 1906. Does anyone think TR did that out of altruistic motives?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't know how I feel about this one. I am definitely a Gore supporter, but I've preferred how the Nobel organization historically has selected a lesser known recipient. Gore already has strong visibility and legitimacy, so I don't really see how a Nobel Prize would recognize his work beyond what he has already accomplished. Although, the prize is for achievement technically, so even though he is already known, he has made more progress to bring climate change to the masses than anyone else.

I'm not so concerned with a recipient's motives. I'm fairly confident the Nobel Prize is more concerned with the achievement than why the recipient decided to do something in the first place.

Regardless of what you might believe the cause is, there is no doubting the importance of how we address/adapt to climate change. I think recognition of Gore's work was probably appropriate, though I would like to know who else was considered for the award.

Some interesting past winners:
    Yasser Arafat & Yitzhak Rabin
    Jimmy Carter
    Gorbachev
    Henry Kissinger
    Mother Theresa
    Desmond Tutu
    Martin Luther King
    Nelson Mandela

In several years (during major wars) the Peace Prize money was reallocated and no prize was awarded.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Wow... I just learned that Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini all were nominated!

Link

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just in case somebody is too lazy to click the link and starts using this to bash the Nobel Organization:

In some years as many as 199 nominations have been received. The Committee keeps the nominations secret and asks that nominators do the same. Over time many individuals have become known as "Nobel Peace Prize Nominees", but this designation has no official standing[3]. Nominations from 1901 to 1955, however, have been released in a database.[4] When the past nominations were released it was discovered that Adolf Hitler was nominated in 1939 by Erik Brandt, a member of the Swedish Parliament. Brandt's intention was primarily to protest against the nomination of Neville Chamberlain by twelve of his colleagues. The tone of the nomination letter was ironic, even sarcastic. Its publication caused an uproar in the Swedish press as some newspapers initially failed to recognize the irony, while others thought it highly inappropriate to mock Hitler and make fun of the Nobel Peace Prize. Brandt retracted the nomination after a few days.[5] Other infamous nominees included Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini. However, since nomination requires only support from one qualified person (eg. a history professor), these unusual nominations do not represent the opinions of the Nobel committee itself.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    My only question is: How did Gore's work on global warming contribute to world peace? There are a number of Nobel prize categories and I just don't see how this achievement fits the category.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My only question is: How did Gore's work on global warming contribute to world peace? There are a number of Nobel prize categories and I just don't see how this achievement fits the category.
    That was my first question as well. I guess we'd need to see the Nobel committee's qualifying criteria for the category to have a better idea.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Meh....

I'm sure there are alot of others even more passionate about the topic (this is all about the topic, and not the man, IMO), but they just dont have the budget to get their message out.

NOTE: I think global warming is a fraud.

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Put it this way, infamous warmonger Teddy Roosevelt got the Nobel Peace prize for brokering the end of the Russo-Japanese war in 1906. Does anyone think TR did that out of altruistic motives?
    "Infamous warmonger"? What war did the US start while TR was president? I'll save you time: none. Indeed, he used considerable diplomatic skills to head off war between France and Germany in 1906, certainly not something a warmonger would do, now is it?

You want to call TR an Imperialist, I'm all with you. Jingo?, absolutely! But "Warmonger"? -- wait, "Infamous Warmonger"? Positively not.

I'm disappointed that former Senator Nunn and current Senator Lugar have again been by-passed for their work to destroy chemical and nuclear weapons in the former soviet states and thus keep it out of the hands of those that would do no good with it.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    What are your thoughts on Gore and the UN GWC winning the Prize?
    I think there should be a recount.
    And then we should re-elect him president.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    While I was listening to talk radio on the way to work this morning someone referred to Al Gore as "The Goreacle". I had to snicker.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm disappointed that former Senator Nunn and current Senator Lugar have again been by-passed for their work to destroy chemical and nuclear weapons in the former soviet states and thus keep it out of the hands of those that would do no good with it.
    Good Call.

Over the past several years, I think that the award looses its importance. There are some people who absolutely deserve winning it, but they could care less about the prize, they are more interested in succeeding at their goal.

Al Gore on the other hand, went to Switzerland and campaigned to each of the voting members on why he should win. He could have been pushing the idea of clean nuclear energy, reducing dependency on automobiles and air planes, and working to reduce the cost of energy saving devices such as solar panels.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Stolen from another forum:

I can't wait for the Drudge headline "Gore takes private jet to Nobel Prize ceremony..."
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Stolen from another forum:
    Yeah....but he will retort with "well I mitigated my greenhouse gas emissions by planting trees or a windmill or...."
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Yeah....but he will retort with "well I mitigated my greenhouse gas emissions by planting trees or a windmill or...."
    True, and all will be right with the world, for He is The Holy Prophet of the Religion of Global Warming.

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    True, and all will be right with the world, for He is The Holy Prophet of the Religion of Global Warming.

"The Goreacle"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I can't believe that this whole global warming religion has been so blown out of proportion. I think the Nobel peace prize is...not something I would be proud of.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    NOTE: I think global warming is a fraud.
    Off-topic:
    Just for clarity, are you contending that global warming doesn't occur, or simply that mankind is not affecting the change? It's pretty clear through ice core data that cyclical warming and cooling of the planet has occurred and will continue. The argument is more about the cause of the current trend...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I found out that he is donating the money to an Environmental Preservation Group. While I don’t have an opinion if he should or should not have won the award (although I am leaning to yes, he should), I applaud the man for donating the money.

Now if he can only take public transportation to deliver the check!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I found out that he is donating the money to an Environmental Preservation Group. While I don’t have an opinion if he should or should not have won the award (although I am leaning to yes, he should), I applaud the man for donating the money.

Now if he can only take public transportation to deliver the check!
    He is donating it to the Alliance for Climate Protection... an organization of which he is the Chairman of the Board (http://www.climateprotect.org/board)

Regardless of his intentions of flying to Switzerland to plead his case or of donating the money to an organization who's board he chairs and regardless of whether or not the science used in his book or PowerPoint presentation is sound, I think that he has probably done more to bring attention to this topic than anybody else out there and just getting more people talking about it is a very important step.

Besides, even if we are not causing the atmosphere to warm, is there anybody who really feels that conserving natural resources or producing less waste is a bad thing?

As for how dealing with environmental concerns is worthy of a Nobel Prize in Peace, I look at it this way: We humans are all dealing with how to allocate the scarce natural resources we have been given. Anything that provides the possibility of easing tension and reducing conflicts about these resources is working towards more peaceful resolution of related problems.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Surely someone or something else has contributed more to world peace?

If anything, the issue of global warming has further divided people. If people would understand that man has little or no affect on the climate, then maybe the world could come together on how to plan and prepare for regular, cyclic climate changes.

But this has not occurred because of Al Gore and others perpetuating the false belief that humans are responsible for causing global climate changes.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Surely someone or something else has contributed more to world peace?

If anything, the issue of global warming has further divided people. If people would understand that man has little or no affect on the climate, then maybe the world could come together on how to plan and prepare for regular, cyclic climate changes.

But this has not occurred because of Al Gore and others perpetuating the false belief that humans are responsible for causing global climate changes.
    You are absolutely right, it is a false belief that humans are responsible for causing global climate changes. You are right because those occur naturally. However, to state that man has little or no effect on recent changes is, at best, a statement that has little or no scientific basis. Not being a scientist, I look to them for answers:

Human activity has been increasing the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere (mostly carbon dioxide from combustion of coal, oil, and gas; plus a few other trace gases). There is no scientific debate on this point. Pre-industrial levels of carbon dioxide (prior to the start of the Industrial Revolution) were about 280 parts per million by volume (ppmv), and current levels are about 370 ppmv. The concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere today, has not been exceeded in the last 420,000 years, and likely not in the last 20 million years.
    The italics are mine, the rest can be found here:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

It's a very interesting FAQ created by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and more specifically, the National Climatic Data Center. Those are our scientists working for our government.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change stated:

"An increasing body of observations gives a collective picture of a warming world and other changes in the climate system... There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities".

And if you go to this page, you can see all the groups who concurred with their opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti..._note-IPCC_WG1

I think Al Gore lays it on a little thick, and may even has misinterpreted or misused some of the data. However, to dismiss the entire science community (Aside from the American Association of Petroleum Geologists... go figure ) is irresponsible.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    You are absolutely right, it is a false belief that humans are responsible for causing global climate changes. You are right because those occur naturally. However, to state that man has little or no effect on recent changes is, at best, a statement that has little or no scientific basis. Not being a scientist, I look to them for answers:

The italics are mine, the rest can be found here:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

It's a very interesting FAQ created by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and more specifically, the National Climatic Data Center. Those are our scientists working for our government.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change stated:

"An increasing body of observations gives a collective picture of a warming world and other changes in the climate system... There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities".

And if you go to this page, you can see all the groups who concurred with their opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti..._note-IPCC_WG1

I think Al Gore lays it on a little thick, and may even has misinterpreted or misused some of the data. However, to dismiss the entire science community (Aside from the American Association of Petroleum Geologists... go figure ) is irresponsible.
    I'm not dismissing the scientific community. Even if humans do contribute to global warming, Al Gore doesn't deserve the award. He's just the propagandist, not the scientist.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    How did Gore's work on global warming contribute to world peace?
    So you don't imagine resource wars will be fought as all the people displaced by rising ocean levels will be needing new places to settle? I don't think all those millions will be welcomed with open arms as they move inland. And all the farmland that could be lost...will that raise food prices? Will arable farmland become a cause worth going to war over? How about fisheries? There are predictions of fisheries being depleted as well.
    OK, so the contribution to world peace is in a conditional future sense. Its not like he brokered a peace accord. But my immediate reaction is that is what the Nobel committee was thinking.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I'm not dismissing the scientific community. Even if humans do contribute to global warming, Al Gore doesn't deserve the award. He's just the propagandist, not the scientist.
    Propagandist? Perhaps... He does seem to try and elicit emotion, even if what he presents is fact. But, if this problem is serious, maybe we all need to get a little more worked up. My opinion, of course, but Gore was selected because he was the guy out there delivering a very important message.

And it wasn't just Gore, it was presented to Gore and the UN IPCC. This is an interesting take on it, especially regarding climate change and war:

http://www.bellona.org/articles/frederic_nobel

Also, you have to remember that this was the Nobel Peace Prize, and it wasn't for "science" per se, it was "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change." Other prizes are given for medicine, physics, chemistry, literature, and economics...

I suppose time will tell, just ask the family of Egas Moniz.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 12 Oct 2009, 3:54 PM