Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Changing gears from engineering to planning

Registered
    Sep 2007

Changing gears from engineering to planning

I have been for years frustrated with the degree of detail, lack of career advancement and over all boredom of my civil engineering career. I have worked in highway and most recently transit for most of my career but until recently I had no idea where I was headed. I have for the past 2 years been working more directly with planners and hace decided that it was my true design to be a planner myself. I am going to apply for two grad programs here in the Bay area but was wondering what else I can do to find out more, learn more about and try my hand at planning. It was best put to me that, "engineers are a mile deep and an inch wide, planners are an inch deep and a mile wide." Im looking forward to a wider spectrum of challenges and understandings.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Sign up to attend the Cal State APA conference in San Jose starting this sun in downtown. If you can't afford the whole conference, try just going one day, probably by either monday or tuesday and call in sick at your other job. This maybe the local opportunity your looking for, and there should be a ton of private firms (including mine) there pitching for jobs, what they do, etc. there.

http://www.calapa.org/en/cms/?1352
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Sep 2007

Word, thank you

Im going to try and be a part of that conference, checking into it now. I do need this kind of opportunity. Thank you again.

Registered
    Sep 2007

any other ideas

I wish I could make it to that conference but spending $300 bucks just inst in the budget. too bad for me, I wish I had known about it before.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Do you have good people skills or can you develop them? One of the best transportation engineers I ever met gave a great talk at a neighborhood meeting I ran one time. He was the best I ever saw at communicating a traffic impact study to a group of lay people. Most engineers can not do this. They can talk to each other but not to non-professionals.

You don't have to go to grad. school to learn this. There are public speaking classes and workshops on public involvement and public processes that are much cheaper than a whole degree and there are on-line classes to learn about planning if you can't afford to take 2 years away from work. Best of Luck.

Registered
    Sep 2007

Questions to ask

Thanks for all the support on this forum,
    I snuck into the APA conference in San Jose, listen to one presentation and toured the expo. It was amazing, I loved it, talking with all the professionals got me very excited. I am the rare engineer who has no problem articulating my thoughts. And this was a great stage for it. In all theses discussions I was given the opportunity to ask many questions, but I was wondering what you guys thought would be good questions to ask a professional.
    I asked about best/worst aspects, what the hours are like, what the duties include from entry level to senior, how upward advancement was awarded? I basically thought of all the awfull aspects about engineering and asked what made planning different. I pose these questions to you and ask for some new ones.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 31 Oct 2013, 3:22 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jul 2012, 11:21 PM
  3. Civil engineering and planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 11:06 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Jan 2010, 3:35 PM
  5. Transportation planning or engineering?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 May 2008, 8:40 PM