Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Submitting a resume to a job mart/job board

Registered
    Aug 2004

Submitting a resume to a job mart/job board

I'm actively searching for new employment. Coincidentally, my state chapter APA conference is coming up in a couple of weeks. I will be the only person from my office (and my company) attending. The plan is to submit my resume to the job mart/booth/board first thing, so I can hopefully get some face time in with potential employers.

My question is simply this: do I need a cover page attached to my resume?

I ask because I have no idea who will be looking at my resume, and right now I don't know if I'll be staying in the private sector, or returning to the public. If the general consensus is to attach a cover page, then I'm going to have to get to work - I don't have one handy!

Thanks for the help.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2007

Cover Page

Yes. Attach a neutral cover page

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I'm actively searching for new employment. Coincidentally, my state chapter APA conference is coming up in a couple of weeks. I will be the only person from my office (and my company) attending. The plan is to submit my resume to the job mart/booth/board first thing, so I can hopefully get some face time in with potential employers.

My question is simply this: do I need a cover page attached to my resume?

I ask because I have no idea who will be looking at my resume, and right now I don't know if I'll be staying in the private sector, or returning to the public. If the general consensus is to attach a cover page, then I'm going to have to get to work - I don't have one handy!

Thanks for the help.
    I think it's a big mistake, especially if your boss knows alot of people there or there and/or there are a lot of your companie's clients. Yes, you will be the only person there (I often attend conferences as the sole representative for my firm) but walls have ears, and you don't want to just dish out your resume and coverletter to the first person at the job booth. If you absolutely have to give to post your jresume, please indicate that you would like this kept confidential.

If you have more time consider this option...try to snag a copy of the registered conference attendees. My state APA chapter posts this spreadsheet on their website usually on the day or the day before the state and regional conferences, or they are available with the program at the conference itself. Check their websites beforehand, find out who and who isn't hiring, and do your job research homework (yes, this might require a lot of time). At the conference, casually approach the people at the conference and strike up a conversation, and try to discreetly bring up the job issue. Keep a tailored resume onhand, but don't shove it in their face. Only give it to them if they ask for it. This has also worked for me with RFP's (chumming with public sector planners) and teaming up with other firms on a proposal (anytime I go to a conference, I have a lot of job cut sheets, and quals in my padfolio to hand out when needed).

Hope this helps-

I,too, attend a ton of conferences as the sole planner from my firm (and sometimes have to man our booth, attend workshops, and network). I think it's a big mistake, especially if your boss knows alot of people there and/or there are a lot of your companie's clients. Yes, you will be the only person there but walls have ears, and you don't want to just dish out your resume and coverletter to the first person at the job booth. If you absolutely have to give to post your jresume, please indicate that you would like this kept confidential.

If you have more time consider this option...try to snag a copy of the registered conference attendees. My state APA chapter posts this spreadsheet on their website usually on the day or the day before the state and regional conferences, or they are available with the program at the conference itself. Check their websites beforehand, find out who and who isn't hiring, and do your job research homework (yes, this might require a lot of time). At the conference, casually approach the people at the conference and strike up a conversation, and try to discreetly bring up the job issue. Keep a tailored resume onhand, but don't shove it in their face. Only give it to them if they ask for it. This has also worked for me with RFP's (chumming with public sector planners) and teaming up with other firms on a proposal (anytime I go to a conference, I have a bunch of different job cut sheets and quals in my padfolio to hand out when needed).

Hope this helps-
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 21 Oct 2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I havent used a cover page since college.

At these mass recruitement things, just cut to the chase. This is what I'm bringing to the table.

Also, it doesnt always hurt to have your bosses hear through the grapevine that your resume is out there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

networking/career events vs online board submission methods

For what it's worth, I've had no luck whatsoever with online mass submission things. The only interviews I've gotten (with urban design/planning consulting firms) were ones obtained through networking or where I had met the recruiter in person before at a school or career event. I know it's a cliche, but networking works, and (for me at least) Internet submission doesn't.

In general, I've found that the cover letter gets detached from the resume after the first person who handles it, so that subsequent readers only see the resume. Also, stapling them together isn't advisable, since the large firms will scan-in whatever resumes they get at job fairs and events like that as a matter of course.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Feb 2013, 12:10 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Mar 2010, 12:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Feb 2009, 7:05 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 9:01 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 9:20 AM