Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Demolition cost estimates

Registered
    Oct 2007

Demolition cost estimates

I am a planning/law student working on a real estate development project. Can anyone point me to estimates for demolition costs? If not, does anyone have a "rule of thumb" estimate that I can plug into my spreadsheet. I don't need incredible precision here; any good estimate will do.

If it helps, my site is a 3-storey vocational school, built in the late 60's and early 70's in an urban neighborhood in Cleveland. The materials are brick and metal. The total floor space is about 200,000 sq. ft. (including all 3 storeys).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There are too may variables to give you a good answer. Are there environmental issues? Asbestos? What are you intending to do with the debris? Can any portion of the foundations remain or will you require everything to be removed? Is there anything salvagable that might have value and offset the costs? What is the construction method? Does demolition include removal of asphalt or just the building? Is site restoration part of the project?

I have bid similarly-sized buildings and found a range from $50,000 (unqualified) to over $300,000.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I agree with Cardinal, to many variables. Around here, free standing, 2-story buildings are being demolished for about $10/square foot (footprint area, not floor area) plus asbestos abatement.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Cost Estimate

Try getting your hands on a copy of the latest edition of RSMeans Site Work and Landscape Cost Data
    At times like this, you have to ask yourself, "WWJDD?"
    (What Would Jimmy Durante Do?)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Dec 2011, 2:33 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 07 Nov 2008, 1:46 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Jun 2006, 1:04 PM
  4. Trip Generation Models or Estimates
    Transportation Planning