Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do employers value most from out of towners?

Registered
    May 2007

What do employers value most from out of towners?

Have a question..
    When it comes to interviewing & hiring what do you think employers (public & private) tend to look at most
    from out-of- town applicants ?
    school?
    region?
    experience?
    willingness to move?
    Desire?

Somebody throw me a bone
    :)

The present is a gift

Registered
    Aug 2006
    A dog-like obedience to authority?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Employers value experience, desire and motivation. Experience can trump education any day, and you show a willingness to move when you apply to jobs far from your physical address. If you want to job working with K-Shape, i do suggest obedience to authority.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Employers value experience, desire and motivation. Experience can trump education any day, and you show a willingness to move when you apply to jobs far from your physical address. If you want to job working with K-Shape, i do suggest obedience to authority.
    I'll add chemistry-the ability to work with the people who are already there-and a reason why you want to move there. It has to be more than just the job.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by MDGARD01 View post
    Have a question..
    When it comes to interviewing & hiring what do you think employers (public & private) tend to look at most
    from out-of- town applicants ?
    school?
    region?
    experience?
    willingness to move?
    Desire?

Somebody throw me a bone
    Can you put this into context?
    IME school/alma mater is w-a-a-y down on the list. (Bo Schembechler doesn't work there.)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Personality and the ability to fit in well with the existing staff. There are countless stories where the most qualified person did not get the job because their personality was not what they were looking for. Instead someone who came into the interview and was able to connect with their potential employers gets the job. Problem with this is it is not something that you can rehearse unless you know first hand what that particular work environment will be like.

Go in well prepared and know the stuff on your resume well but be your self and have fun. Trying to be someone who your not can work against you because they will find out your true side after only a few weeks on the job and you will be in an environment that you may not like.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2002
    Passion and personality and intelligence. A number of managers that I've talked to have said this. Knowledge isn't as important, as it's assumed that if you have the first three, you can be taught any necessary skill.
    The cookies are worth the drive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Calling potential employers (Directors)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Jun 2012, 11:07 AM
  2. Canadian employers: do they shun Americans?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Sep 2011, 10:54 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 1:59 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Sep 2007, 10:56 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last post: 06 May 2006, 11:54 AM