Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Going Green

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have an officially rated Energy Star from a local builder who subscribes to the practices and ideals of Built-Green Colorado.

Our utility bills are substantially lower that those of our neighbors and we are proud of the the house and its "green-ness".

The tankless water heater is great!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    The tankless water heater is great!
    Gas or electric? Did you retrofit? Any issues? I'm planning to do that with my house.

Has anyone done anything with rain gardens to capture run-off?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Gas or electric? Did you retrofit? Any issues? I'm planning to do that with my house.

Brand new, came with house when built. It is gas fed with an electric starter. (The pilot is only lit when needed/used.

The only issue I have is that the kitchen sink is the farthest faucet from the heater. Sometimes I have to run the hot water for a mighty long time in order to get the hot water through the system and out. But other than that, it works well.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post

I personally haven't (I live in an apartment), but my parents have put in home-made huge blue tubs at their gutter drains and tied it into their sprinkler system. They can change back and forth between the tap and the tubs with the turn of a valve.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Colorado Water Law is Wild.

I could be taken to court for stealing water if I capture rain water (what little we get). All surface run off is typically owned by somebody in Colorado. Catching rain that could otherwise hit the surface is falls into this.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Colorado Water Law is Wild.

I could be taken to court for stealing water if I capture rain water (what little we get). All surface run off is typically owned by somebody in Colorado. Catching rain that could otherwise hit the surface is falls into this.
    I guess I can understand that but as I understand rain gardens, their purpose is to hold water until it can be absorbed by the earth and become groundwater rather than pouring down streets and storm sewers on the way to the ocean. It's really just replacing some of the impermeable surface that has been unnaturally created by roads, parking lots, and large buildings on small lots. Maybe we could help recharge some those aquifers instead of helping the ocean levels rise and sending topsoil to the Gulf.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I've been living rather "greenly" for a while now, but hadn't really considered my carbon footprint, etc. until recently.

The two of us live in a small loft in a restored tobacco warehouse. That's pretty "green" since historic preservation is a type of recycling I guess. We've got brick walls so heating and cooling costs are low, and all our lightbulbs are CFLs. I bike most places, walk to others. We own one car, a Ford Focus, and probably only drive it two or three times a week.

I made a recent "green" purchase: a portable solar charger. It's a small (about 3"x5"x1") pair of panels that open up like a book. It charges our mobile phones and my iPod. Hardly a drop in the bucket, but it's fun to play with solar power.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Ditto! and More

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Let's see, we've:

Done the CFL thing in all fixtures
    Energy Star thermostat with better than standard settings
    Backyard composting (bin method)
    Been slowly replacing appliances with Energy Star as they die
    Make our own bathroom/kitchen cleansers
    Despite age, house has good passive solar design
    Some rain harvesting for deck plants (rest is au naturale)
    We do a ton of recycling
    Grow some veggies (working on getting more time to invest in this)
    Combine trips; often carpool with others for non-work trips
    Happy to report we've done much of the same.
    -Purchased one of the first 2500 Toyota Prius's back in 1/2001.
    -Solar Panels generate electricity. Any extra goes back into the grid. The state considers this as part of Homeland Security because it dispersed electric generation targets. Got over 15 KWHrs today.
    -Had several writeups in the regional papers for our efforts.
    -Just started a new job where I get to carpool with my husband - in the hybrid.
    -New job is related to getting more people to use public transit.
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Ofos an all - See the "Rain Garden" thread under Environmental Planning forum for more info.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by JDC View post

I made a recent "green" purchase: a portable solar charger. It's a small (about 3"x5"x1") pair of panels that open up like a book. It charges our mobile phones and my iPod. Hardly a drop in the bucket, but it's fun to play with solar power.
    Where did you buy your portable solar charger? I've been lookin' and can't find.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 12:10 PM
  2. The Green Bans
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Apr 2010, 9:54 AM
  3. Red Green
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12