Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: City planning jobs in Alexandria, VA

Registered
    Apr 2005

City planning jobs in Alexandria, VA

Dear folks:

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts regarding the Urban Planner positions that show up from time to time at the City of Alexandria website. If anyone has some thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,
    Peter

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Peter Bratt View post
    I'm interested in anyone's thoughts regarding the Urban Planner positions that show up from time to time at the City of Alexandria website. If anyone has some thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to send me a PM....
    Are they the east coast equivalent of Ypsi Twp, Livingston County, city of Novi, Farmington Hills, and Ottawa/Allegan County? (I once kept score on the SE Mich ones; they ran a new ad literally every six months.)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ah....yeah.....

We've....er.....I've talked about Alexandria's job listings before.....but I'm too lazy to link you to that thread...... I've been keeping an eye on their adds for years now......must have seen 200 or so by now......not kidding either.......
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I interviewed in the DC area recently and asked about the jobs in Alexandria, that was during the meaningless chit-chat after. They said that Alexandria is exceedingly political and that accounts for the high turn over rate.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I interviewed in the DC area recently and asked about the jobs in Alexandria, that was during the meaningless chit-chat after. They said that Alexandria is exceedingly political and that accounts for the high turn over rate.
    I wonder if they fire a lot of people, mostly resignations though.

Yeah, I always wondered what the story was with that place. Could be bad news
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 24 Oct 2007 at 9:36 AM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I have a couple of coworkers who used to work there and say don't touch it with your life. I interviewed there a few years ago when I was hunting jobs in the area and something was very...off. No office cube land chatter, no jokes very stiff and a heavy dont look folks in the eye feeling. Come to find out turn over is very high and from what my coworkers say UGLY

Best of luck
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Alexandria has a Planetizen award-winning Web site, too. Wonder why the situation is so ugly there; some have mentioned politics, but of what kind?

Another employer in the area that advertises quite a bit is the Maryland National Capital Parks and Planning Commission.

Registered
    May 2004
    Peter, you could get the same experience (not necessarily work experience) right there in the 734.

I forgot Pittsfield Twp. Revolving door there, too.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Peter, you could get the same experience (not necessarily work experience) right there in the 734.

Are they the east coast equivalent of Ypsi Twp, Livingston County, city of Novi, Farmington Hills, and Ottawa/Allegan County? (I once kept score on the SE Mich ones; they ran a new ad literally every six months.)
    The municipalities you've mentioned are often considered "stepping stone" communities, where planners are able to get the experience they need in order to move onto bigger and better things. It doesn't necessarily mean that the planning atmosphere is something to be avoided. Perhaps they just need to pay their entry-level positions more money, so they don't jump at the first job which pays more.

In the past, I've interviewed with 2 of these communities and found nothing "peculiar" during the interview process.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    The municipalities you've mentioned are often considered "stepping stone" communities, where planners are able to get the experience they need in order to move onto bigger and better things. It doesn't necessarily mean that the planning atmosphere is something to be avoided. Perhaps they just need to pay their entry-level positions more money, so they don't jump at the first job which pays more.

In the past, I've interviewed with 2 of these communities and found nothing "peculiar" during the interview process.
    As a former resident of several of the listed jurisdictions, and former applicant as well, I meant them no disparagement. It's just that in the Detroit newspapers, Michigan APA, and apa.org websites, these same places run the same ads again and again and again.

I think I saw the one city listed in last week's Freep. Not entry-level.

And since moving west, I've heard some of the back-story on the two counties mentioned. (I keep a computer file with all my applications, and if I sort by the position name or the locale, it's almost exactly twice a year.)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I also often see ads from the City of Aurora, IL. Anyone know what's up with them, a place that I'd think would be a primo job for a planner?

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I also often see ads from the City of Aurora, IL. Anyone know what's up with them, a place that I'd think would be a primo job for a planner?

Mike
    Aurora, as in Wayne's World? Seemed like a pretty excellent place. What was the name of that donut shop again?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Thanks

Thanks for all the helpful information folks. I'm sorry that the department might not have that great of a reputation. Long-term I think that I would be interested in a city like Alexandria-first-ring suburb, mix of housing, pretty-racially diverse, etc. I'll keep on looking.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Bumping a very old thread: they're at it again. This isn't the only wave of advertised vacancies I've seen from Alexandria since this thread was first started.

Other Alexandria threads:

Things that make you go hmmmmm

Salary question

Alexandria, Virginia advertised again?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah......

I think it would be great if three, currently out of work Cyburbians got all three of those jobs
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    May 2002
    Pittsfield Township used to be horrible. It was like "Planner of the Month Club". Novi, which you also brought up, is almost as bad.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 3:06 PM
  2. Alexandria VA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Apr 2012, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 10:38 AM
  4. ALEXANDRIA, VA (no 56k)
    Cities and Places