Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Mar 2004

2008 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

With only about 3.5 months to go before pitchers and catchers report, there should be some goooood garbage out there about the 2008 season!

Let's hear it!

Will ARod return to Wisconsin (he played A ball here in Appleton)? (IMHO, likely not)

Whither Joe Torre?

The Yankees' fire sale is on!

(can't help with the schattenfreud(sp?) )

Mike

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    How selfish and self important are A-Rod and his agent Scott Boras that they had to make their announcement during the middle of game 4?!?!

I pray the Red Sox do not go after this piece of overpriced, no playoff guts, trash.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 29 Oct 2007 at 12:43 PM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2005
    Ditto what NHP said about A-Rod. Buster Olney had a good article today on ESPN about what A-Rod will do to the soul of any team, in terms of him dominating the headlines, etc.

There's been some chatter here in Detroit about the possibilty of going after A-Rod, now that Carlos Guillen is destined for 1B. Thankfully, most people think it would be stupid. To be honest, I'd rather have Bonds on my team than A-Rod, and that isn't saying much.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think the Red Sox should now see the value of their farm team as they saved the proverbial days for the 2007 season, and not go for the hot shot players like the Yankees -

The grooming of people in the minor leagues makes them more eager and hungry to win and not just score the highest salary

Registered
    Apr 2006
    A-Rod is the most complete player in the game. He switched positions for an opportunity to win a WS (granted he picked the wrong team ). His defense is top notch for a postion that he has only played for a couple of years.

Even with his large contract he has restructured his contract and even tried reduce the amount the Rangers paid him in order to get more quality players (MLBPA vetoed this effort) to win a championship.

Would you want to play for a team whose fans booed and cursed you? A-Rod wants off the Yankees. He biggest flaw is he cannot stand up to the scrunity of the NYC press.

I am an A-Rod fan and am happy to see him (hopefully) leave the Yankees. My guess is he will be a Giant or Angel
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    How selfish and self important are A-Rod and his agent Scott Boras that they had to make their announcement during the middle of game 4?!?!

I pray the Red Sox do not go after this piece of overpriced, no playoff guts, trash.
    The Sox surely won't sign him after he tried to steal their spotlight by announing he wouldn't return to the Yankees last night. I agree that it was a classless move by him and his agent.

But I think the Yankees would be stupid not to negotiate a long-term deal with A-Rod. The fact is that the Yanks wouldn't have even made the playoffs without him. Take away his bat from that lineup and you're left with a bunch of either washed-up players or guys on the downside of their careers (Giambi, Abreau, Matsui, Damon, etc.).

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Here's to the Rockies building on what they have started this (now past) season!!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Rumors are out that Torre may go to the Dodgers (whom are trying to buyout Grady Little's contract with one year left on it). If that happens, ya think Posada and Rivera might follow? Petite is talking retirement to golf with Clemens. That would be great for him to do that and then come back mid-season for an over-priced amount (ala Clemens).

The Boras/ARod annoucment timing was as bad as Jim Gray's interview with Pete Rose during the All-Century Team ceremony. Just plain rude with no regard to others. Classless!

Also read, Red Sox fans were yelling Don't Sign ARod & Resign Lowell after Game 4 last night. And if ya remember, Boston had ARod signed before the players union nixed the trade back in 2004.

Zman, the Rox should be good for the next few years, but the NL West will be a tough place to play as well.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Braves kick off the hot stove league action by trading Edgar Renteria to the Tigers for a couple of good prospects...frees up about $9 mil (in addition to the savings of not resigning Andruw Jones) to go after some starting pitching.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    As a Sox fan, I am watching their back with the Indians next year - they are a very solid team. The Rockies are a good team as well but it does seem like the NL is not quite up to AL levels right now. Maybe if A-Rod went over there things would change...

And of course the Sox should sign Lowell again and pass on A-Rod. He sucks. Ever since the "ball swat" in the ALCS in 2004 I have thought the guy is no good.

A local sports columnist put the ARod issue this way: Red Sox won two world series without ARod while the Yankees won zero WS with ARod. So, why would the Sox want him? At any price.

I'm a little surprised to see Edgar Renteria headed to Detroit, but it may be a better fit for him than Boston was. Still, he just seems like an NL kinda guy to me.

I'm glad TLR will be back with the Redbirds the next two seasons. I'd like to see us get some solid pitching, for Carp and Mulder to return to form, and Rolen to get healthy. I like Eckstein at ss and hope we resign him. We'll see.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm a little surprised to see Edgar Renteria headed to Detroit, but it may be a better fit for him than Boston was. Still, he just seems like an NL kinda guy to me.
    Perfect #2 hitter for a National League team. I think he'll be fine with the Tigers, though - probably much less pressure on him than there was in Boston.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Perfect #2 hitter for a National League team. I think he'll be fine with the Tigers, though - probably much less pressure on him than there was in Boston.
    Plus the fact the the Tigers needed a shortstop and he is reunited with Jim Leyland (from the Florida Marlins WS win in 1997, remember)
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Braves kick off the hot stove league action by trading Edgar Renteria to the Tigers for a couple of good prospects...frees up about $9 mil (in addition to the savings of not resigning Andruw Jones) to go after some starting pitching.
    I was guessing the Braves were freeing up payroll to sign Texeria to a long term deal. With Hampton coming back (he is due for one good season) a Smoltz, Hudson, Hampton, creates a strong 1-2-3 punch. But a strong #4 or ahead of James would be welcome.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005

ARod to the Mud Hens

There are reports that ARod might be heading to Toledo. The Mud Hens have offered him a contract.
    The Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens have sent baseball's most coveted free agent a contract offer that includes incentives if he hits 75 home runs for them next season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Bear are you going to get your ARod Mud Hens jersey for Christmas?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    There are reports that ARod might be heading to Toledo. The Mud Hens have offered him a contract.
    The Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens have sent baseball's most coveted free agent a contract offer that includes incentives if he hits 75 home runs for them next season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Bear are you going to get your ARod Mud Hens jersey for Christmas?
    Nice find - that's all sorts of awesome.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Is Jones still on the table? I would love to replace Edmonds with either Torii Hunter or Jones at CF.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Is Jones still on the table? I would love to replace Edmonds with either Torii Hunter or Jones at CF.
    Braves have already cut ties with him...Boras is asking for way too much money for Andruw (in their opinion, which I share). He's still available if you want to overpay.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Braves have already cut ties with him...Boras is asking for way too much money for Andruw (in their opinion, which I share). He's still available if you want to overpay.
    Part of me thinks (& hates it) that Andruw has become complacent. He probably won't be playing in 5 years. It's not just the slump he was in last year, but various things over the last several years that make me think that. Even if Ted still owned the team I don't think he would have kept him.

If I were a GM looking for a CF and didn't have any options in my lower levels, I'd go with Torii.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Someone will pay for A Jones, my guess is the Dodgers with their spacious outfields or one of the NY teams.

Any truth to the rumors that Glavine will return to the Braves for his final year in the bigs?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Any truth to the rumors that Glavine will return to the Braves for his final year in the bigs?
    Looks like that is going to happen - he'll add stability to the rotation behind Smoltz and Hudson, and it's good insurance against Hampton's arm blowing up again. Plus, it gives me more chances to go down to The Ted and boo him.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Looks like that is going to happen - he'll add stability to the rotation behind Smoltz and Hudson, and it's good insurance against Hampton's arm blowing up again. Plus, it gives me more chances to go down to The Ted and boo him.
    This is the staff you'd like to have back:

Attachment 4030
    Last edited by Planit; 25 Apr 2008 at 2:56 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Any chance that any team will actualy put a contract on the table for Bonds?

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    This is the staff you'd like to have back:
    Lord, that pic makes me feel old.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    New Barry Bonds bobblehead
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bonds_BALCO_Bobblehead_Large.jpg  

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What's this I hear about A-Fraud going back to the Yankess?

Oh wait, it's true...http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10476190

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 233
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM