Urban planning community

Poll results: What is your favorite brand of peanut butter? (No specialty or non-peanut butters, please)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jif

13 33.33%
  • Kraft

1 2.56%
  • Krema

0 0%
  • Peter Pan

5 12.82%
  • Sanitarium

0 0%
  • Skippy

4 10.26%
  • Sunpat

0 0%
  • Other - list below

16 41.03%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter!

Registered
    Jun 2007

Peanut Butter!

What is your favorite brand of peanut butter (not including specialty pastes and non-peanut butters like Nutella)? I like Jif. It's not as oily as Peter Pan or Skippy. I can't get the other brands listed where I live, but have had Kraft in Canada. It was ok.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Growing up it was Peter Pan Peanut Butter but now I they all taste the same.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The kind in Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!
    Hey, you got chocolate in my peanut butter! You got peanut butter in my chocolate!

Back to your question:

Peter Pan growing up, but Mrs. P grew up on JIF so guess what we have now...

The old ad campaign, Choosey mothers choose JIF!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I only remember Jif and Peter Pan from my youth but Peter Pan was the preferred one. I've long since gone over to natural/organic pb.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We get the CostCo Organic peanut butter. In a 2 pack, with the layer of peanut oil on top!

In a pinch, we'll get the Kroger brand reduced fat peanut butter.

Man, I like peanut butter.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No specialty flavors? No Koogle?

Don't think it qualifies as a brand per se, but I happen to like home made peanut butter best. Anyone else ever try making their own? We've made our own on a couple of occasions and it turned out quite delicious and it was especially nice being able to control the amount of crunchiness. I must confess, though, that I don't find a great deal of difference between the major brands of peanut butter found on most grocery store shelves and for that reason my 'favorite' brand - if I'm buying as opposed to making- is the local grocery store chain brand simply because it costs a few cents less.
    Last edited by Maister; 06 Mar 2008 at 12:01 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I only remember Jif and Peter Pan from my youth but Peter Pan was the preferred one. I've long since gone over to natural/organic pb.
    same here - the brand names one are too icky sweet now -

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I like JIF. Someday I might try organic but where I live now organic peanut butter isn't exactly easy to come by.

Store brand peanut butters make me wheeze and my chest get tight. No idea why. Maybe some cheaper filler they use...

Registered
    Nov 2005
    The grocery store and co-op where I shop have peanut butter grinders, so that's what I get. It tastes better than the processed, hydrogenated stuff.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Oh . . . . thought this would be a crunchy vs. creamy thread. I don't care too much about the brand.

Fluffernutter?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Oh . . . . thought this would be a crunchy vs. creamy thread. I don't care too much about the brand.

Fluffernutter?
    Mods: can you add two polls to one thread? Or link a crunch vs. creamy poll thread to this one?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Regarding crunchy or creamy, I prefer crunchy and the crunchier, the better!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Mods: can you add two polls to one thread? Or link a crunch vs. creamy poll thread to this one?
    Moderator note:
    cruchy and smooth poll choices could be added, but because its a 'choose one' type poll it's not going to accomplish what you want. I think your only options are to start a whole new poll thread and we could maybe merge them (will need to confirm this) [EDIT: confirmed you can't post two polls on one thread or merge polls] or have them stand as two separate threads. I say just run with the brand concept and if folks want to clarify the smooth versus crunchy preferences they can do so in their posts.
    Last edited by Maister; 06 Mar 2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: confirmed no merging polls
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We get the natural kind of peanut butter that has nothing but peanuts and oil and has to be stirred.

The only time we buy something like Jif or Peter Pan (or the store brand) is when I'm making a stir-fry with Indonesian peanut sauce.* It's actually recommended in the recipe - I think the peanut butter with lots of additives tends to "melt" better and makes for a smoother sauce.

* Note to luckless pedestrian: one of my favorites from the Lompoc Cafe cookbook!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    "Other"

Crunchy - whichever brand is on sale.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Oooooooo.

My wife HATES crunchy, so we never get it. I almost forgot about crunchy peanut butter! I may have to sneak some home...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i used to be a purist for Peter Pan creamy.

i've since switched over to Organic/Natural crunchy.

i have my crunchy organic pb on 15 grain bread every morning. yummy!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Peanut Butter Randoms

You know this Bear.....can't just stand at the water cooler and answer the dang question.....I voted for Jif.....we buy the "extra crunchy". Good stuff.

Attached (Because Sticky) Random.....I was on my honeymoon with Donna, otherwise known as Wife # 2. (Steeler fans....."one for the thumb"..... ). We motored out to otterpop territotry, the beautiful state of Montana. After a few days of driving in my yellow CJ-5 Jeep, we camped at Apgar Campground, Glacier National Park. An incredible place.

Because we were on a tight budget we lived on peanut butter sandwiches and Dinty Moore Stew, cooked over a burning Sterno Can. I burnt-out on peanut butter for a few years because of that adventure.

Other than that, I have lived a sheltered-life.

Bear, Done Voting For Peanut Butter
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    we lived on peanut butter sandwiches and Dinty Moore Stew, cooked over a burning Sterno Can. I burnt-out on peanut butter for a few years because of that adventure.
    Off-topic:
    What is it about honeymoons travelling out west and limited diets. On OUR honeymoon we travelled out to otterpop country and subsisted on cheetohs, orange pop and canned hash for over a week! Needless to say we pretty much burned out on consuming anthing orange for many years to follow.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Teddie is a local brand of natural (non-hydrogenated) PB here in Boston that I grew up on and still get. Its not organic but its cheap and tasty. Comes in crunchy and creamy, salt or no salt.

And the Teddie Peanut Butter factory in Everett has the greatest sign on top of it!

www.teddie.com

Registered
    Mar 2003

Smart Balance & Goober Grape

Smart Balance Omega™ Peanut Butter
    Our all-natural Peanut Butter with Omega-3s boasts no fewer than 1000mg of Omega 3's from flax oil per serving. Deep roasted peanuts and a touch of molasses – no refined sugars here – mean rich nutty flavor; its creamy texture comes from our patented blend of balanced oils, formulated to help you improve your cholesterol ratio as part of the Smart Balance food plan. Non-hydrogenated. Trans-fatty acid free. Also comes in crunchy.

The kidz get Goober Grape.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Oooooooo.

My wife HATES crunchy, so we never get it. I almost forgot about crunchy peanut butter! I may have to sneak some home...
    CRUNCHY! I'd pave over the world for crunchy peanut butter.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I am on the make your own organic "cruncky" peanut butter from the peanut butter machine at the local health food store. It taskes so much better.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    Teddie is a local brand of natural (non-hydrogenated) PB here in Boston that I grew up on and still get. Its not organic but its cheap and tasty. Comes in crunchy and creamy, salt or no salt.

And the Teddie Peanut Butter factory in Everett has the greatest sign on top of it!

www.teddie.com
    Teddie brand took the place of Peter Pan during its recall last year at the grocery store I worked at. Not sure if they still have it, but it did seem kind of random when it started coming in.

That said I can't say I really like peanut buttrer, although I will eat it if it is in a baked good. The smell of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is a bit nauseating to me.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Where is the option
    "I would rather eat a pile of dog doo, they taste about the same anyway"?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Butter - in or out of the fridge?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 20 Feb 2013, 6:40 PM
  2. The Peanut Gallery
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Aug 2007, 11:45 AM
  3. Replies: 11