Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What should I expect for a social life as an architect?

Nice to see some of you like to be very kind and avoid insults...

Quote:
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    And after all, I expect they'll be marching to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance when the fellow graduates.
    When or if?
    And Mastiff, you are still assuming things about me. I don't believe i'm all important, I am not egotistical or proud. You need to learn the difference about caring about yourself and how your life goes and actually being egotistical, "pompous" and proud/boastful.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Folks none of us want to put the Mod hat on so please stop feeding the trolls

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by HeartlandCityBoy View post
    Nice to see some of you like to be very kind and avoid insults....
    Hey now, I apologized for the Peter Pan comment... I didn't see you accept it, though.

I also made the comment that you would graduate, without any caveat at all.

And Mastiff, you are still assuming things about me. I don't believe i'm all important, I am not egotistical or proud. You need to learn the difference about caring about yourself and how your life goes and actually being egotistical, "pompous" and proud/boastful.
    I'm drawing that assumption from your comments, HCB, and nothing more. In particular your assertion that an accredited college of architecture should change based upon the will of a student or students. It does show a measure of self-importance, hence the use of the term pompous.

Next time you start to type, "You need to learn..." Stop.

Now I'm done, enjoy the rest of your thread.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2003
    In a world filled with B grade and worse architecture, why aspire for better? You'll just be beating your head against the wall and end up frustrated and institutionalized like Frederick Law Olmsted did. Go out and party, numb yourself to all the ugliness around you with drugs, alcohol and casual sex like most other people. When you live someplace where car valets and waiters make more money than architects, like I do, you'll see how much "respect" there is out there. When you see other people making more money for less work and enjoying their lives more, the pangs of jealousy will get to you enough to switch careers. With the stress, job instablity, and long hours, I don't see why any sensible, intelligent person would go into this. Get an MBA or something and develop new ways of selling us crap that we don't need. That's what this country is about. They don't want places of integrity and substance. They want what has been most effectively marketed to them.

OK, rant over.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Aug 2005
    HCB - you may have answered this elsewhere (or even in this thread) - why are you majoring in architecture and not planning?

Off-topic:
    The unintentional comedy in this thread is off the charts.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

I love architecture and I love designing buildings. Not to mention my university only offers Architecture and not planning. (there is no way I'm moving after i've made these friends and have spent over 10k for this semester)

Planners don't really get to design or say what the buildings look like, they only dictate how the layout is, etc... What is the purpose of having a well designed city or district when all the buildings look like crap?

The aestheticness is just as, if not more important than the overall design.

Also, Mastiff, if you had paid attention, I was not addressing you with the first comment in my last post. I even had quoted the comment I was talking about. (Which was implying I would not graduate)

boilerplate, nice job making judgements upon people who you are absolutely no better than. Not to mention i have never touched drugs, alcohol or casual sex. There is absolutely nothing wrong with socializing and partying, and to live life while being anti-social is to live like a robot.
    If you pass and get your degree perfectly with honors, a 4.0, etc... with no social activity, then you have gotten an F in the overall college experience, which is far worse than earning a 3.35/3.5 and getting that college experience.

Some of you just like twisting things I say in order to fit your own perspective and your own opinion of what I'm all about. You are twisting them into a negative light and making me seem like an egotistical, pompous, proud and boastful jerk who doesn't care about anyone other than himself. Well, you are most certainly wrong, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to convince you of otherwise. If you truly believe me to be a selfish jerk, then all I have to say is that I won't listen to any advice/suggestions you have to offer.
    However if you are willing to be more reasonable and respectful, as well as non-judgemental, then I'm more than willing to listen.

Registered
    May 2005
    Planners don't really get to design or say what the buildings look like, they only dictate how the layout is...
    This couldn't be further from the truth.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Moderator note:
    Alright, I think HCB has gotten the direction he needs. This thread is closed because it is starting to become circular and will go off-topic soon.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Closed thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 9:25 PM
  2. USC 2010: what to expect
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 5:08 AM
  3. What to expect in planning
    Career Development and Advice