Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving, 2007

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Thanksgiving, 2007

Jump starting the usual Thanksgiving thread because this weekend is this Bear's Thanksgiving.

My son's family is coming in from Portland, OR....I believe the flight in to Columbus, OH, is today. They will be in the Columbus area for a couple days and drive up to Swanton, OH on Sunday morning.

My son had to stay back in Stump Town, but I still get to mingle with the daughter-in-law and my two grand-daughters.

I will be up very early on Sunday morning, starting the Thanksgiving turkey. Included with the big bird will be the world's best stuffing, smashed 'taters, candied yams, some sort of vegie, ice box cake, a bathing suit style show with French actress Ludivine Sagnier, pumpkin pie, apple pie, steaming biscuits, Polish coffee cake, vino, soda pop, and beer.

(OK, so maybe I exagerated......Ms. Sagnier will not be doing a style show.... )

Right now the headcount is 14. When it is all said and done, this Bear will be one tired puppy.
    _____

Even though three weeks away.....

What's on your Thanksgiving Weekend agenda?

Bear (Burp!)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not going anywhere. Pray I am invited somewhere.

Tuesday & Wednesday before Tday I am volunteering again in the kitchen of one the inner city christain ministies that puts together & delivers about 2,500 Tdinners. I have done this gig for about 7 yrs.

A photo of me volunteering was in the newspaper last yr.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    JNA you are welcome to come to my house. Everyone is always welcome, just tell emhow many so I can cook enough.

I would love to do Thanksgiving but am uncertain who may come. The resident girls are going to Iowa with their mother.
    My daughter said I could schedule it any time but not Thanksgiving

I Love to fix the meal but don't want to do it for two. Guest always make it better.

So anybody out there commin'?
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    This year, my wife and I will make the trip to see my folks in Denver. We'll probably drive down on Wednesday and then spend the rest of the weekend there. This year many are coming and I will get to hassle my cousins (both attending my old high school) and see a lot of Colorado family that despite my residing in the state, I don't get to see too much.

Dad and I will smoke a turkey beginning in the morning and probably drink all day. My wife will be cooking her pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I cannot wait.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    For the first time in my entire adult life... will be having dinner in my own home. My brother will have my mom to his place for the day. I could never have the family over because the SIL is allergic to cats. So we always went to Mom's or my brother's except one weird T-giving a few years ago when Mom, Conner, and I went to SeaWorld for the day; my brother and his family went to his in-laws' out of town.

The day after Thanksgiving; well, RJ knows from being in Orlando the last couple years... just stay out of the way! The X-mas decorations are going up! Geez now I have to figure out what to do with them in a totally different house. Hope for his sake I don't have to buy any new stuff.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, it will definitely be a much needed 5-day break, as the week before is looking to be extremely busy, tiring, and hellish for me, particularly with school.

My parents will be hosting my mom's side of the family. The head count will be 17! I feel bad that my mom has to host it, given all the hell my family's been through this year, but she really enjoys cooking and has Thanksgiving down par, so I think it should be a good time.

The meal will be the usual: turkey, corn, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, cranberries, and pies for dessert.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Me?

Watch the now 6-1 Green Bay Packers beat up on the now 5-2 Detroit Lions.

Then, I don't really know. Maybe check out the turkey wing special at a local sports bar if nothing's going at with any family members.

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    JNA you are welcome to come to my house. Everyone is always welcome, just tell me how many so I can cook enough.

I would love to do Thanksgiving but am uncertain who may come. The resident girls are going to Iowa with their mother.
    My daughter said I could schedule it any time but not Thanksgiving

I Love to fix the meal but don't want to do it for two. Guests always make it better.

So anybody out there commin'?
    Amen to that. Try fixing for one at the last minute. (Couple years back my sis informed me that she was on call at the hospital, and nieces/BIL would not cooking. Turns out they went to a drop-in potluck dinner, my favorite kind. I dropped in at the local 24/7 hypermart and picked up a 10 lb turkey plus the "stuff," spent the day on the couch surfing and in the kitchen fixing a sumptuous repast which promptly went into freezer boxes.)

Where you live?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    This year will be very quiet....just me and my daughter I think. Last year I had my friend, his year old daughter, and a homeless man I got to know from the university library come for dinner and we had a great dinner in my tiny apartment. The friend is in San Diego now, his daughter with his parents in Oklahoma, and the homeless man now has a good job and his own place in Pennsylvania now.

I will probably make a little turkey, some fixings, and a pie.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How many of you are planning on going to bed early to be able to get up at 0300 Friday to go shopping?

NOT ME!!!!

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Didn't Bear post his secret recipe once for his stuffing? I wanted to try it this year....where is it, I can't find it? Don't recall it being particularly healthy and I think the recipe's ingredients included 4 lbs of animal lard, fried snickers, a fifth of Jack Daniels, and two packs of unfiltered cigarettes (with papers removed of course).

First Thanksgiving since my mom died. My sister is coming up from The Big D -- it'll be the first time we've seen her since the funeral and all that...

Probably catch a few races at Churchill Downs Friday afternoon. Absolutely, positively NO shopping.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Absolutely, positively NO shopping.
    I am in total agreement !
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    As I have mentioned in previous Thanksgiving threads, this is probably my favorite holiday. I love preparing the meal. I used to make it with my mom, which was the best part, but I live too far away to visit on Thanksgiving.

We have already ordered our free range turkey from the Hutterite colony. The Hoots raise the tastiest darned turkey around. You pay about a buck more a pound but it is worth it.

With the roast turkey we will have cornbread dressing, aspargus casserole, rolls and some kind of store-bought pie.

We are going to invite our son's piano teacher. She is from Japan and is in the USA for the year studying English.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2006
    We will be hosting the event in our newly remodeled house. With a new formal dinning room we finally have enough room to do it proper. Though I am looking for a new way to do the bird and looking for a new slant on the stuffing.

Thanksgiving is my favorite cause ya get to stuff your face, drink and watch football and the best thing is that all guilt that i usually attach to the above combinations is easily removed, easily being the key word. Also the holiday is realatively inexpensive and doesn't involve ritualistic worship or behaviour that has no contextual bearing.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't know where I'll be having Thanksgiving dinner, perhaps at my parents' house, perhaps at a quaint inn in New England, or perhaps at a truck stop somewhere along the Mass Pike.

My folks and I will be travelling to Boston on Turkey Day so that we may be at my sister's first thing on Friday to celebrate the GREATEST DAY EVER!!! (if you ask my parents and sister) Friday is my nephew's birthday #3.

My BF was invited to spend T-day and D-Day (Daniel Day) with us but politely declined. Seems he thinks he might get bored watching Little Lord Fauntleroy's b-day celebrations. So he'll be celebrating with the cats and dog.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We just ordered our organic, free-range turkey. Don't know who we are going to share it with, though. We have no kids of our own, and the ones we like to borrow aren't going to be around this year. We are seriously looking for a parentless single mom to adopt (really, as in legally adopt) and that would involve sharing holidays with her and her kids. We would get grandkids to spoil with none of the hassle of raising our own kids.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    We just ordered our organic, free-range turkey. Don't know who we are going to share it with, though. We have no kids of our own, and the ones we like to borrow aren't going to be around this year. We are seriously looking for a parentless single mom to adopt (really, as in legally adopt) and that would involve sharing holidays with her and her kids. We would get grandkids to spoil with none of the hassle of raising our own kids.
    Great Idea!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    [snip] cornbread dressing [snip]
    Truly a Southern thing. I never heard of "stuffing" until I started associating with women other than my southern mother on the holidays.

We'll be having cornbread dressing too (one a little spicier we call Southwest Dressing).

2 turkeys, REAL cranberries, good wine and beer, a couple Hungarian dishes (to please my dad's fam) and some good fellowship.

My wife and I may "adopt" a local family through the county food bank.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Probably will have a lot of fun and food at my mom's or aunt's house

Whirlyball with extended family on Friday night.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    You can adopt me. I come complete with a teenager.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Wife & I will spend T-day with the oldest son and daughter-in-law with her extended family and...my ex. She took a contract job in the area a couple years ago and hasn't left yet. My second marriage just hit 25 years a few months ago and the divorce was a couple years before that so I've been over it for quite a while. Each time we see each other I'm thankful for how blessed I've been the second time around so it will really be a Thanksgiving Day for me.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll head off to my sister's house, She and the BIL bought the house I grew up in from my parents 12 years ago.

We'll play [relativelty high stakes] poker till about 3pm, watch the Green bay Packers womp the Detriot Lions, then feast.

Then, I will meet the SO at his mom's house for second turkey dinner, and then we go to the go to the best gay bowling tournament in America

Registered
    Mar 2006
    We'll be heading down to SE Iowa. Nobody has the energy or desire to host a big dinner anymore, so we usually go to a Thanksgiving buffet at a local restaurant. It is always packed, with families who are similarly lazy.

My brother and his girlfriend will be coming, which is nice, cause they live in Texas. I haven't seen him since last Christmas, and I haven't seen her for about a year and a half.

And we'll all go to a local indoor waterpark. My daughter is really looking forward to that. It is going to be a busy few days.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Is anyone else tired of the usual T-day fare?

I was thinking about it recently and decided that I would like to avoid the typical foods and serve something completely different. Maybe do a full Mexican table or Thai or something.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving 2013
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 02 Dec 2013, 9:43 AM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 16 Jun 2007, 12:16 AM
  3. Replies: 37