Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving, 2007

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Is anyone else tired of the usual T-day fare?

I was thinking about it recently and decided that I would like to avoid the typical foods and serve something completely different. Maybe do a full Mexican table or Thai or something.
    My mother never has a traditional Thanksgiving meal. She decided that all of the offspring are probably turkeyed out by the time we make it to her place. She usually moves her Thanksgiving meal to the weekend and cooks something crazy to surprise us. Sometimes she gives us a list of ingredients to bring as a hint. It is always an enjoyable time.

This year, I won't be having fun at my mother's house. Hubby and I will be making a trip to FL to visit my brother who I have not seen in years. It will be interesting. I hope to go to Disney while I am down there.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Aug 2005

I was thinking about it recently and decided that I would like to avoid the typical foods and serve something completely different. Maybe do a full Mexican table or Thai or something.
    you could always do a Turducken.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    My mother takes a whole different cultural spin to thanksgiving. She still makes the turkey, but it is completely different from the dry, gotta pour on the gravy that the typical american household produces on that oh so glorious day. Her turkey is done with this special gravy that she makes from scratch and is more water and oil based. It is put in the turkey and it creates the most super moist turkey you will ever eat. Served with the left over gravy, spanish rice, candy yams, and stuffing, and this is truly a great meal.

The day after thanks giving, mrs cpsu and i head to Union Square in San Francisco and ring in the Christmas shopping.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by craines View post
    Though I am looking for a new way to do the bird and looking for a new slant on the stuffing.
    We stuff our turkey with mashed potatoes. Yum
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste View post
    We stuff our turkey with mashed potatoes. Yum
    That is the freakiest cooking tidbit I have ever heard. Honest to God.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    You can adopt me. I come complete with a teenager.
    At least teenagers are easy to spoil: "Here's lots of money." Easy of you have lots of money, that is.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    going to Ithaca to feast with the family.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

I think Indian food would be well suited for Thanksgiving. Some tandoori bread, dal, palak paneer.....yum.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Budgie will be taking Wednesday off. I'll travel to Kansas City Tuesday night and with my children in tow I will leave early Wednesday for my parents house in north Texas. We'll spend a relaxing couple of days lounging around. On Saturday I will visit a developer buddy of mine to visit one of his developments in Flower Mound. I'll head north early Sunday morning.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Ms. jmac is in the middle of a two-month stay in Albuquerque. I am taking the week off to fly out for a visit, do some exploring, and hopefully have a brew with a local Cyburbian.

We are not sure what we'll do for Thanksgiving dinner - we'll probably cook up a turkey, but work some chiles and other southwestern goodness into the feast somehow.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Serious on the mashed potatos............makes since. Purhaps a garlic mashed, sliced or cubed almost like a casserole.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My son's godparents are hosting Thanksgiving this year. Usually, we host and I do all of the cooking. It will be nice not having to do a lot of cooking this year. My cousin in Pittsburgh will be joining us as well.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I think Indian food would be well suited for Thanksgiving. Some tandoori bread, dal, palak paneer.....yum.
    Ooh, I like that idea! We did that for Christmas a few years ago, actually -- ordered a huge amount of food from our favorite local Indian restaurant. It was nice not having to stress out about what to make... and everyone loved it.

I don't eat turkey, so my mother-in-law (who is a great cook) makes something different for Thanksgiving every year. Seafood is a popular choice. Unfortunately, I don't think she'll be up to cooking this year for health reasons, so I'm not sure what we're doing. It's kind of depressing, actually.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    Budgie will be taking Wednesday off. I'll travel to Kansas City Tuesday night and with my children in tow I will leave early Wednesday for my parents house in north Texas. We'll spend a relaxing couple of days lounging around. On Saturday I will visit a developer buddy of mine to visit one of his developments in Flower Mound. I'll head north early Sunday morning.
    Flower Mound is real close to me and mine. PM me if you want to do a mini Laefest, or something.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    we are hosting this year, but I think it will just be hubby's parents though we do pick up a stray person/family that doesn't travel or host so I am sure the number will grow -

we have a great menu we do every year that I have not gotten sick of yet

we are also doing the free-range turkey with my hubby's chestnut stuffing (lotta work the night before, ouch)
    also
    sherry gravy
    Brussels sprouts with bacon dressing
    celery root salad
    George Washington's onion mash
    sweet potatoes and mushroom bake
    mashed white potatoes
    I usually assign a bread

usually a lighter red wine is in order for the dinner

fruit and nuts

pumpkin pie made from scratch
    I usually assign another dessert option

my 14 yo daughter who is now a vegetarian through a bet with a friend has decided that they are calling a truce on Thanksgiving, which is great - as I was going to have a stuffed acorn squash for her with tofu and pecans ala the Moosewood Cookbook so now I don't have to do that - phew

what I change ever year is the recipe for the cranberry sauce - this year it will be a cranberry pineapple relish -

the first time we did Thanksgiving dinner sans parents was in 1992 when I was bed ridden with my first pregnancy - we had my husband's brother and my sister came and we all made our favorite dishes and when we sat down at the table we realized we had not made anything green - so we dubbed it the white Thanksgiving at the kid's table - it was great and we never looked back, never traveled again

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We still have a few items to hash out. Turkey, yes. Sweet potatoes/yams, by majority decision, no way in hell, ick, ick, ick... Stuffing (gotta negotiate on that one, whose recipe to use...) Mashed potatoes, yep. Green beans or peas, rolls, we all agree. I think we'll skip the pumpkin (barf) and pecan pies for something more citrusy...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hopefully the renovations to my kitchen will be done so we can have a Thanksgiving dinner. The new counter tops come today.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Turkey 2007 will be a baby-fest in the casa de hilldweller. None of mine- thankfully- but all my female first cousins are new moms.

O/T: What kind of twisted municipality do I work for that doesn't give me the friday after Thankgiving off (or X-mas eve for that matter)? O/T:

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    O/T: What kind of twisted municipality do I work for that doesn't give me the friday after Thankgiving off (or X-mas eve for that matter)? O/T:
    The one I used to work for, some kind of rule said it couldn't be closed on more than one weekday.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    It is odd that you wouldn't get Fri after Thanksgiving off when working for a public agency.

As for X-mas eve being a workday, that's pretty normal. I've never worked anywhere where that was a holiday. Although, a few years ago my last employer changed the policy to give X-mas eve off when Christmas fell on a Tuesday. LadyBuc will be enjoying that perk this year.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Noon - Wife's big family rents the Lone Tree, IA senior center. Big farm spread. Women work like dogs and the men sit around and talk about their lame jobs - HVAC, auto repair, farming, etc. No interest in what the liberal college boy has to say. I hate that.

At least no talk about the Hawkeyes this year

Evening. More formal affair at my brother's.

. . . and booze.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    we are hosting this year, but I think it will just be hubby's parents though we do pick up a stray person/family that doesn't travel or host so I am sure the number will grow -

we have a great menu we do every year that I have not gotten sick of yet

we are also doing the free-range turkey with my hubby's chestnut stuffing (lotta work the night before, ouch)
    also
    sherry gravy
    Brussels sprouts with bacon dressing
    celery root salad
    George Washington's onion mash
    sweet potatoes and mushroom bake
    mashed white potatoes
    I usually assign a bread

usually a lighter red wine is in order for the dinner

fruit and nuts

pumpkin pie made from scratch
    I usually assign another dessert option

my 14 yo daughter who is now a vegetarian through a bet with a friend has decided that they are calling a truce on Thanksgiving, which is great - as I was going to have a stuffed acorn squash for her with tofu and pecans ala the Moosewood Cookbook so now I don't have to do that - phew

what I change ever year is the recipe for the cranberry sauce - this year it will be a cranberry pineapple relish -

the first time we did Thanksgiving dinner sans parents was in 1992 when I was bed ridden with my first pregnancy - we had my husband's brother and my sister came and we all made our favorite dishes and when we sat down at the table we realized we had not made anything green - so we dubbed it the white Thanksgiving at the kid's table - it was great and we never looked back, never traveled again
    Set the table for four more; sounds great!!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tomorrow morning I'm getting up early (now there's a big surprise), to chop onions and dice celery in preparation for making the stuffing. To keep the mixture moist, I'm thinking of adding some white wine rather than chicken stock.
    RJ is creative in the kitchen.

EDIT: I really should got to bed but I noticed door to the bedroom is open. You know what that means? Cats on the bed. I'll have another glass of wine.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 21 Nov 2007 at 10:55 PM.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's over. Great meal but my stuffing didn't turn out as I wanted -- too dry. Watched the remainder of the football game and went in the hot tub. Came back in to discover ZG sleeping on the couch...where she's still snoring. No pictures; that would be wrong.....but you should see the poor gal.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Talk about behaving
    pre meal finger stick - 78
    2 hr post meal finger stick - 122 before the pumpkin pie.

finger stick is to test my blood glucose level - normal is 80-120 & up to 160 post meal

POST 7800
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving 2013
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 02 Dec 2013, 8:43 AM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 11:16 PM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last post: 13 Nov 2005, 12:08 PM