Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thesis: Port of Kingston, Jamaica growth catalysts (was: Thesis...HELP!)

Registered
    Aug 2006

Thesis: Port of Kingston, Jamaica growth catalysts (was: Thesis...HELP!)

Hey all, I have chosen to do my thesis on the continuous expansion of the Port of Kingston, Jamaica as a catalyst for economic growth...just need some assistance on how to approach this...thanks!
    Moderator note:
    Please no teaser titles in the professional subforums (such as the Student Lounge). I changed the thread title to be more specific.

mendelman
    Last edited by mendelman; 26 Nov 2007 at 5:12 PM.

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I would start, of course, by examining the role of ports in economic development nationally or internationally. There should be articles about the rise/decline/rise of ports over the last hundred years. That would give you a good historical underpinning on which to base your Kingston study. (It also provides for good compare/contrast opportunities.) Ultimately, it sounds like you'll be conducting an economic impact analysis of sorts. I did a quick-and-dirty e.i. analysis for an industrial park (converted from a military installation due to BRAC) earlier this year. It wasn't too painful.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    You may want to reconsider. I'm not sure all jamaicans think that it is all that hot an idea. Depending on which side you listen to, the World Bank is basically making them a dependent nation by debt, interest rates, and restirctions on their economic policy (as a condition of loans) that they will never recover. And a big part of it is the free trade zones that allow foreign companies to come in and basically operate outside the local law and more importantly taxes. Which side is telling the truth? I don't know, but that might make an interesting thesis.

BTW, they have been in decline since the end of piracy! Arg!
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Registered
    Aug 2006

Thanks

Thanks guys...u helped me point my thesis in some form of direction....I will inform u as I progress all dependent on thesis approval, of course

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Need help on my thesis study
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Sep 2010, 3:03 PM
  2. BSc thesis
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Apr 2009, 7:47 AM
  3. Help me with my thesis
    Student Commons