Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: going for MUP with an Architecture degree

going for MUP with an Architecture degree

Hi
    I am a college freshman.....and...thinking about majoring in architecture (pre-professional program).....after ...learning all about the creative work of the architecture department here at my school.......
    But for master's degree, I would like to study urban planning....

What kind of advantages can there be....if I go for the MUP program with an Arhitecture background?

Any input would be much appreciated...Thanks!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think it is an excellent combination. Locally in Milwaukee it is acutally a dual degree program and they call it SARUP - School of Architecture and Urban Planning.

When I am interviewing candidates for jobs, SARUP candidates steo to the front of the line.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Not Bad

The B.Arch. and MUP combo is good if you plan to work in a major urban area with lots of design needs. I would just suggest that you obtain and keep your architecture registration. A JD or Public Administration masters could be good, it just depends on what your long term goals are.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:17 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 6:29 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Feb 2009, 3:09 AM