Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Christmas Thread - 2007

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The Christmas Thread - 2007

I surprised ZG this evening as she was doing on-line Christmas shopping (I didn't see anything as she closed the window when she heard my flip-flops flip-flopping on my feet as I walked down the hall). Can you believe it? Not even Thanksgiving yet...sheesh....

Anyway, I've given almost no thought to Christmas except for offering to hold the department holiday party at Chateau ZG/RJ.

I wonder if it's too early to start thinking about what to get her.

At the risk of getting a yellow card (or worse), let's start the 2007 Christmas thread.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have bought my tickets to fly to Northern California to spend 7 days there.

Have talked about what to get family but thats all.

At the CVS they were putting out X-mas stuff on their seasonal items shelves.
    and we are two (2) weeks away from Turkey Day.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I have bought my tickets to fly to Northern California to spend 7 days there.

Have talked about what to get family but thats all.

At the CVS they were putting out X-mas stuff on their seasonal items shelves.
    and we are two (2) weeks away from Turkey Day.
    Oh, are you meeting up with us to spend X-mas with RJ's family? We will be in N CA for 4 nights over New Year's; so my son and I can meet all of RJ's family:

My son and I will drive to central FL for a couple days to visit Mom, my brother and the bitch, and our friends. Then back to the panhandle for X-mas eve and X-mas day.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Still trying to figure out if we are going to SC for Christmas or staying here because we are going on our Grand Adventure beginning January 20. I spied twinkle lights in one of the windows in the apartment complex tonight. Yikes.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Happy holidays, all of them

Went past a house Sunday with orange pumpkin lights on all the round shrubbery out front. Deciduous, so the color showed up beautifully. They looked a lot like big pumpkins. And they added white lights up the tree stalks in the yard.

One thing at a time, I guess they like working in the yard.

(M'skis, on Fuller north of I-96, west side.)

There's a house in Dearborn with one-of-each of those stoooopid inflatable things. I get to ride past when I do the First Dozen ride (on January 1) and always take a pic of the festive deflated nyon items.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    My family's getting to that point where my siblings are now married and we're debating whether to still exchange gifts with each other. Which kinda sucks, since they're always the easy ones to shop for. It's the parents that seem hardest to shop for.

But what really matters most is just getting together and spending quality time with each other. It seems we all get so caught up in our busy lives the rest of the year.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wont start until 2 weeks before. I despise the fact that the bix boxes had christmas stuff out while back to school and halloween was still out.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    was in Target last night and noticed that they have holiday signage and items out. too early if you ask me. pretty soon they'll be putting X-mas etc. stuff out at Easter.

i'm trying to do X-mas on the cheap this year. BF, sister, mother, bro's GF, and my nephew will be getting homemade scarves and homemade candies. Bro will get a t-shirt, BIL will probably get a gift card to the movies b/c that is all he likes, Dad- i haven't figured out yet.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I saw a house last night decked out with enough lights to kill a power plant.

On November 6th...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

depressing rant

I had planned and bringin my Mom on the train to Boston and I would pick her up and bring her up here to Maine but she told me last night she doesn't want to do it, won't say why and said for me to go see her and she will come in the spring for Easter

I was really trying to get her out of the usual mold of doing the same thing at Christmas, she has lived in that house since 1954 and with my Dad gone and this being the first Christmas, this is going to be so hard - I also was trying to do the same for myself as we always go out there a few days after Christmas for the kids' school break and I'm still dealing too

so she has a lifetime free train ticket and I have to go out there at over 3 bucks a gallon and stay in a hotel and eat out twice a day - so the broke side of me is now in a panic because funds are scarce as it is

so now I hate the thought of her being alone at Christmas waiting for us to come a couple days later - I cry every time I think about it after talking to her last night!

my sister is bringing her to her place for Thanksgiving and my brother's son is on Broadway this Christmas so he's AWOL

so I have no idea what I'm doing for Christmas but I just have to hope

Registered
    Aug 2005
    LP, sorry you're in a difficult situation. i feel for you and your mom.

can you talk to your mom about your concerns? maybe if she knew you were worried about how she'd do alone at christmas that might help her make the difficult choice to change traditions. and tell her your financial concerns, maybe by taking some of the blame for wanting to change the tradtion will help reduce some the guilt and fear she may be feeling. or can you go to her house for actual christmas day? can you all fit at her house? Maybe having a house full of kids will help alleviate a little bit of the sadness for your mom and you.

or y'all can stay at my (new) house. (if i get it.)
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004

Gift idea

Some years back I found the nexus of this idea in a magazine. When I saw small holiday tins printed with ornaments (many of which looked like my mama's), I went ahead with it. Pretty cool to do my "shopping" at Big Lots and Kinko's.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2098206_memory-jar.html

My slips were unique to each sibling (e.g. "riding to high school with our low brass instruments" for my brother), and I had another page full of slips that were family memories, some happy, others poignant. Printed sibs' out on their respective favorite colored paper. The parents' box contained everyone's slips, and sibs got their own plus the fam's.

Wasn't there for the openings, but my mother said that the 'rents read every slip. And cried.

Regrettably, no one has reciprocated. I would rather have memory slips ("laughing at snowman decorations in Houston," "riding the tandems on GOBA") than another goddam Meijer gift card.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Already have one neice and one sister shopped for.

Also received my Heifer International catalog, and we'll be picking something out with the kids this holiday, for our holiday charity. The monkeys love animals, so I thought it would be a great way for them to be charitable that they'd also be really interested in.

And my brother has booked his flight to NY from LA.

Going to Boston to visit my family in January...........my wife's mom & dad just gave us a 32" HDTV for xmas, looks like we have our big present now...........

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Haven't really started with christmas just yet. Bought a hillarious box of multiple-choice correspondance christmas cards last year and can't wait to use them.

http://www.knockknock.biz/commerce/C...xed-Cards.html

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We have a relatively new family tradition (aside from the gag gift war between my brothers and me). We give books to each other for Christmas. The catch is, it has to be something we've read and we write on a slip of paper inside the cover whether we liked it and why. We have the option with younger kids of getting toys, etc.

We're not doing anything special this year. We plan on going to Ohio December 2008 for a couple of weeks at Christmas (time to cash in on never taking holiday time off).

We plan to buy ourselves a new TV this year. We're still using the same crappy TV I had in the dorms in college.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    As usual, I'll be wandering the streets hoping that someone will take me in and provide a bowl of soup.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Come to Maine! I'm sure the harbor will be frozen in by then and we'll get some cool sea smoke...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Flamingos...keeping the theme

I arrived home to a proud ZG showing me her new x-mas tree ornaments. This is going to be a looooong strange holiday season.

Last edited by Richmond Jake; 07 Nov 2007 at 7:59 PM. Reason: spelling Nazi

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I usually start X-mas shopping in August! But some changes this year: my son is now 14 so he's into quality, not volume. I am not working so RJ and I agreed on a gift $$ limit between us. My brother and I agreed to just do one "family" gift instead of separate stuff (I've been buying nice stuff for 5 of them, his wife buys s*it from Big Lots for 2 of us...my favorite was the year I got their 3 kids each a $25 gift certificate, and got my brother a good bottle of Capt Morgan spiced rum, got the SIL a sterling bracelet; she got me a $2 visor CD holder for the car and got my son a $5 VHS tape; they were making over $200k that year).

And my mom... don't know if she will be in this world for X-mas, if she is will she be aware?, and honestly she doesn't need any "stuff". I'll wait awhile to shop for her, and get her things she can enjoy day to day, like key lime cookies, a boxed season of the Golden Girls, etc. I have been doing her stocking and gifts for 12 year since my dad died, my brother pitches in very minimally, like with a $12 closet bag to hang sweaters in....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I only buy stuff for people I like and I know who appreciate the gesture and many times something hand made might be in order as well. I am not a craptacular gift giver (I think there are several threads on this topic). I don't shop way ahead of time unless there is something very unique I find for someone. The tree goes up on my birthday which is 12/12 and has been a tradition since I can remember. Since I am going to spend 11 weeks in South Asia beginning Jan 20th, Christmas will be a rather light affair this year.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004

Photos!

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    ... My brother and I agreed to just do one "family" gift instead of separate stuff ... s*it from Big Lots ...And my mom... ....
    The year Kitto came along, I posed us for a photo, printed out 4 x 6" and wallet sized, spent perhaps $10 on picture frames. The postage may have been more than the framed photo. My brother has his displayed in a grouping in the foyer, and my sis has hers on the bookcase...and this is fifteen years later.

A pic from one family branch is a truly unique gift. Not necessarily something they can "use," but it beats the frenzy of shopping and the gift card nonsense. **

Big Lots is a great source for picture frames. (I like to bring the pic along and select a frame that helps set it off, matching a minor color that appears in the photo.)

**My birthday is a couple weeks before Xmas, and I know that my sis will hand me a gift card. For both occasions. It won't be cleverly wrapped or disguised. I know it will be from Meijer (Michigan-based 24/7 hypermart) and I know that it will be for $25. And I wish she wouldn't bother.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I arrived home to a proud ZG showing me her new x-mas tree ornaments. This is going to be a looooong strange holiday season.
    You know, I think those are oddly awesome. I also thought a back scratcher was a lawn ornament, though. Who knows. I might have to get those as MrTresmo 's and my first Christmas ornaments as a couple.

We've been trying to ween the kids from the "exploded chinese toy factory" christmas experience. I hate to say it, but with my mom gone, it'll be a little easier to do this year, as mom was into presents for presents sake and therefor the biggest offender (my M-I-L a close second). In the afternoon we'll head over to the in-laws and extended family for a loud christmas that will be a little more sedate this year owing to another recent death.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I'm hoping to spend the weekend before Christmas in Naples, FL with the in-laws. Traveling the week of Christmas is just too expensive right now.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The 2012 Christmas Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 26 Dec 2012, 8:21 AM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 06 Dec 2010, 7:02 PM