Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: One way streets?

Registered
    May 2006
    Blog entries

One way streets?

I'm often the only planner in a room full of engineers. In Baltimore, there seems to be an overwhelming preference for one way streets given how many of them exist - especially downtown. In school we learned that two way streets in dense areas improve business visibility, ease navigation (especially for tourists), and serve as built-in traffic calming. From an engineering persective it seems total traffic volume is often the only consideration when designating one ways.

Have any of you been successful in converting one ways to two ways? If so, what were the arguments that worked? How did businesses react to the proposed change? Any comments on long term impacts of a two way change?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The City of Appleton, WI converted most of its downtown one-ways back to two way within the past 10 years or so. I would contact them for their take on it.

Mike

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Downtowns are usually where you will find the one-way streets, and thei decline of downtown is often exacerbated by them. Of course, the transportation folks don't want to admit that.

We have been seeing more and more communities wanting an evaluation of their downtown one-way streets as a component of their downtown or comprehensive planning projects. I think people are beginning to realize that for streets with relatively low traffic volumes, one-way streets are simply not necessary. Unique situations like difficult intersections or especially narrow rights of way may be a legitimate justification, but wanting multiple lanes to move traffic at 10,000 ADT is not.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    I am going to crack up if this is the planner who works in my dept!! I don't like to compare Portland, Or. to our east coast cities most of the time (so I will contradict myself). I had been a strong advocate of two-way streets until I visited Portland - a city of one-way streets and praised as the model of transportation planning-it changed my perception a bit. Signalized appropriately, I feel they can perform/function the same as a two-way in the matter you mention-this is totally a matter of opinion.

Here in Baltimore, we have recently converted Lombard and Pratt Streets, east of Broadway, to two-way. While we haven't studied the capacity/volume effects to date, I can say it has calmed the traffic....because I drive that way home . it is mostly residential so we wouldn't see business impacts.
    Last edited by jkellerfsu; 07 Nov 2007 at 2:26 PM. Reason: spelling

We're finishing a study to restore the two-way system in our inner-city. I strongly agree with Cardinal and would add that our present concerns are 1) congestion and 2) safety. We've tasked the consultants with evaluating those issues a little more closely.

We started the study only after we determined that there was consensus in the community to change back to two-way streets. Business leaders have been the stongest backers of it, BTW.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by southern_yank View post
    From an engineering persective it seems total traffic volume is often the only consideration when designating one ways.
    That needs to be redefined completely. Now. Someone as highly trained as an engineer must be able to fathom that a 'system' like a street has multifaceted requirements / priorities which must be weighed against each other.

Pedestrian safety and ease of navigation / access OBVIOUSLY take precedence over vehicle throughput. Sorry for the ranting tone but where do these people go to school???
    Last edited by Gedunker; 15 Nov 2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    My home city recently adopted a resolution to replace a two way street with two one way streets; one major reason stated was pedestrian safety due to the intimidation factor of a "mega-intersection".

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by southern_yank View post
    Have any of you been successful in converting one ways to two ways? If so, what were the arguments that worked? How did businesses react to the proposed change? Any comments on long term impacts of a two way change?
    Our city converted the main commercial street in our central business district back to two-way operation last year. A large new corporate headquarters was about to open on the north side of downtown and the street ran south to north. It was believed that the conversion would make the downtown more navigable for both visitors and downtown workers. There was some opposition based on pedestrian safety. It was a one-lane one-way street with chicanes and mid-block crossings. The two-way conversion cut off some of the chicanes, converted angled parking to parallel parking and retained the mid-block crossings. The resistance has generally faded and people have adapted (after parking facing the wrong way for a few months).

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We recently had a two way street changed to a one way street where traffic volume was not an issue. The direction of traffic created a nice vista terminating at a really nice historic building that had previously been virtually ignored.

Sometimes, city architectural character can be promoted and enhanced by using planning awareness.

There may be other types of vistas that can be capitalized on in your area. Mountain, water, specimen tree, park, etc. or directed away from, ie. old water tank, power line pylon, industrial facility, delapidated private structure, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2007

Ann Arbor

About 4 years ago the City of Ann Arbor converted several downtown one way streets to two-way. While I don't have any empirical evidence myself, as someone who has had conversations with local officials regarding the switch, as well as someone who frequents the areas, I would say that the change had very little disruption and has been considered a great success.

One Ways near schools

We converted 2 two-way's into 2 one ways near the entrances to elementary schools and have had minimal complaints. The selling point was ped safety and organizing traffic flow for the inevitable "drop offs" and "pick ups", since these schools didn't provide off-street parking lots.
    Another underutilized (low traffic volume) 2 way street was converted to a 1 way in order to add on-street parking for a nearby business and parks.
    All in all, you have to be creative as to what streets are selected and for what reasons you choose to do so. These 3 blocks had little opposition at the proposal phase and even less since their changing. It is likely they will stay this way for a long time.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Manual for Streets 2
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:15 AM
  2. One way vs two way streets
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Aug 2010, 3:25 PM
  3. Public streets vs private streets