Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public/private partnerships - examples?

Registered
    Jan 2007

Public/private partnerships - examples?

I am wondering if there are some really good examples of public/private partnerships in development? I would love to find some places where there has been a municipal building tied in with a private development, more specifically something like a municipal parking deck that is integrated or wrapped with private development in a downtown setting. It could be that the municipality developed the project and condoed out retail/office spaces and the like.

I guess to sum it up, I am looking for mixed use public/private developments that include parking decks.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would suggest Paseo Colorado in Pasadena, California. It has two subterranean parking decks owned by the City, then six levels of development above (2 retail/office, 4 residential).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2007
    Check out Evanston, IL its a suburb north of Chicago - i think the new Sherman Plaza Center might have what u are looking for

Registered
    May 2005
    You can look at various activities in Albuquerque's downtown area by reading this article about Chris Leinberger and his strategies. Bear in mind that these projects and the collective good they claim to provide for the City are very much a topic of intense controversy here. Leinberger was a major force behind instigating much of the dealings described in the article, but he also left his position here in the midst of it and so did not stick around to see the results of these efforts, much of which is still in-process. The article is largely about him and his philosophy, but gives some useful stats about what is happening (or projected to happen) in Albuquerque.

http://www.jsrussellwriter.com/leinberger.html
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Many thanks for the info guys, you have been most helpful!
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Apr 2013, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Dec 2010, 7:11 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Jul 2007, 10:42 AM
  4. Public/Private Partnerships
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1