Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Street Names

Registered
    Aug 2008
    In Nashua, New Hampshire we have Penny Lane and the town next door, Hudson, has Easy Street.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    In ATL there use to be a street without a name by my school and we all called it "No Name Road" - well about a year ago I was driving by and they have put up an actual road sign that says "No Name Rd" - too funny
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    In ATL there use to be a street without a name by my school and we all called it "No Name Road" - well about a year ago I was driving by and they have put up an actual road sign that says "No Name Rd" - too funny
    When I see the notation "(future street)" on a street stub on a plat map, I always think of that actually carrying through to having "FUTURE ST" signs being erected on that street in subsequent plats.

Mike

Haha, pretty funny stuff. My hometown has three streets called 'This Way', 'That Way', and 'Any Way', and all the other streets in town are named after flowers/trees, but out-of-town folks usually have trouble getting around, since only locals have been here long enough to have all these plant (street)names memorized in terms of location. My relatives that live in NYC always get lost when they come here, and say "Why can't you just have a numbered street system like we do?" Then I remind them of how I still get lost every time I go walking around lower Manhattan where the streets stop having numbered names, and start winding more as well.

Plus, it seems whoever laid out our street design didn't like having any perfectly straight streets. Though that seems to be due to the creeks snaking through town.

Map for reference: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...num=1&ct=image

Registered
    Dec 2006
    We lived in an apartment on Straw Hat Road in Owings Mills, MD for the first year & a half of my life.

When those crappy "Columbia-style" street signs made their way to our half of Howard County, MD, the HS kids (Glenelg) had a field day cutting them down with chain saws. Really hated that we lost the traditional long/thin green signs on metal posts in favor of the fat/short on wooden posts.

We see the signs for Big Bone Lick park on I-75 everytime we drive to/from Mansfield from here. Even my holier-than-thou wife giggles.

Gwinnett County, GA has 'Beaver Ruin Road'.

And if every road in suburban Atlanta isn't named "Peachtree" something (Peachtree Street, Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Peachtree Road, etc.), it's named for a mill, a bridge, or a ferry. There are apparently no other options.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp View post
    And if every road in suburban Atlanta isn't named "Peachtree" something (Peachtree Street, Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Peachtree Road, etc.), it's named for a mill, a bridge, or a ferry. There are apparently no other options.
    That's not a bad thing - it's a way of commerating the origin and historic use of those roads.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Reviving this old thread. Below is a link to an article in yesterday's (Jan. 22) New York Times regarding 'interesting' road and place names in England.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/wo...F0RjzY6NEKytQQ

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    When I see the notation "(future street)" on a street stub on a plat map, I always think of that actually carrying through to having "FUTURE ST" signs being erected on that street in subsequent plats.

Mike
    We have a road here that was certainly laid out during Urban Renewal days as a new street. And it is now called, of course, "New Street." I used to try to get the name changed but I've given up.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Reviving this old thread. Below is a link to an article in yesterday's (Jan. 22) New York Times regarding 'interesting' road and place names in England.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/wo...F0RjzY6NEKytQQ
    Very Nice Indeed.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In the land development code I just completed, there's some comprehensive guidelines for street renaming and renaming. Why the need for a street renaming process? Well, all the Gay Streets of the 1950s are now seen in a much different light. I'm sure if people who lived on Felch Street in Warrensville Heights, Ohio knew what their street name now meant, they'd be rushing to rename.

I required that street names sound "pleasant" and be easily pronounceable by English speakers -- objective, I know, but after dealing wth all the harsh German and complicated Polish street names in Buffalo and its suburbs (try to pronounce Sienkiewicz Street properly ... go ahead), it was a must. There's also a provision prohibiting "Nonstandard or unconventional spellings of common given names", to prevent isues that may come up with developer's daughters names and creative spelling (e.g. “Kathahrynn Drive”, “Emmaleigh Lane”, etc).
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I was exiting a strip mall in Sandusky, OH that shared the driveway with a car dealer. It was signed Test Drive.
    hardy har har

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Laketop Way

Roads used to be named for where they went.

In our county is one named Nowhere Road that leads, you guessed it.

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    The oddest one here is Acorn Kid Loop. I'm sure there's a story behind it; I just haven't taken the initiative to find out what that story is.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Best street name ever.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Best street name ever.
    Good way to ensure no one gets their street maintenance expectations too high from the get-go.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Betty Page and other saucy stripper names...

I heard on a local radio program that if you take the name of your first pet you had as a child and the name of the street you grew up on, your would be able to create a tantilizing stripper name...

For example my first pets' name was a mixed terrier named Babes

And the street I grew up on was once a road that lead to a priest seminary, thus the name of my street being Seminary Rd..

So my stripper name would be "Babes Seminary-Road", has a nice ring to it doesn't it.

So add your first pet name and your first street name creating your new stripper name.

And for sake of adding to the converstation my old university roommate lived on a road called Hangmans Loop in Fairfax Virginia. I always was curious how this road was named.

Christine V

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Lickert-Harder Rd in Ottawa Co, OH always amuses me when I shunpike along 163
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...27637&t=h&z=15

as does the more visible Fangboner Rd in Fremont, OH
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...27637&t=h&z=15

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not necessarily stupid -

HEADLINE: But wait, there's more! RI road dubbed Ginsu Way
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...00b3AD97B6G800

HIGHLIGHT:
    A stretch of road in Warwick is now called Ginsu Way, in honor of the men whose television commercials turned a cheap, serrated knife into a pop icon so famous it was parodied on "Saturday Night Live."
    166 news websites picked up this story.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Not necessarily stupid - HEADLINE: But wait, there's more! RI road dubbed Ginsu Way

HIGHLIGHT:
    166 news websites picked up this story.
    I grew up in RI and I am very familiar with Warwick. Just checked the city map and website and saw no evidence of this. Where's the source? Interesting how broad the description of the location is. I don't buy it.

OT: God help journalism in this country. How many people believed this and are now telling others about it? It's like we've gone back in time to the dark ages of gossip and wives' tales. Argh.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    What started off as a joke is now reality. After the City of Toronto lost a development case at the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) they decided to exact revenge by naming the new public street serving the development...OMB Folly

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I grew up near Mary Jane Lane - tells you something
    Also nearby was the corner of 69th Avenue and Paradise.
    For some reason these signs disappeared on occasion. - No I don't have one.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    ooh, fun thread.

i work at the call center for the local newspaper so i see some pretty interesting street names, and people's names, every day. the one that comes to mind is "irish dude drive."

There's a street in Paterson, NJ called Straight Street. Dumbest street name ever, if only for it's difficult pronounciation.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    There's a little private dirt road I pass by every day after work, it's called Field of Dreams Road. That's what happens when you let people name private roads! Other private road names: Easy Street and Cock and Bull Lane. The only public road, Cut Thru Road.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    There's a "Jesus Alley" in my town.

Also in Austin, "Slaughter Lane" and "Convict Hill" are notables, and there's also a neighborhood named totally from Lord of the Rings characters.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Canadian street names
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 4:41 PM
  2. Street and Community Names
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Jun 2007, 10:25 PM
  3. 'H' Street Names Needed