Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Living and working in a foreign country: this is going to be a tough one to answer

Registered
    Oct 2007

Living and working in a foreign country: this is going to be a tough one to answer

So im graduating with my B.A. in Policy and Planning next year and some of my teachers have inspirired me with talks of Curitiba, Brazil. In addition, having a large group of Brazilian friends, when I actually went to Brazil I took to it immedietely. So, I've decided that after college it would be an incredible experience to move to Brazil and work in Urban Planning, I have NO idea whatsoever how to move forward with this. Also, I have no idea what to expect wage wise and how to get my work visa. If anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be amazing. Thank you all very much

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Speak with your Brazillian friends about it. They will probably be your best information.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    You need to talk to immigration in Brazil. That's how you get permission to take a job and live there.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

For further information about living/working in Brazil, visit the Escape Artist website:

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/96/efam96.html

You can use the "article archives" feature to see all stories related to Brazil as well as other destinations.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    You'll need a written job offer before Brazil will even think about giving you a visa. Look for jobs first.

On a side note - Curitiba is a great city - I spent about a month there several years ago during a six month backpacking trip through South America.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    How's your written Portuguese? And how well do you know the planning regs, not only of Federal Brazil but of the State in which you are hoping to work?
    Any chance of getting work with an American company that has operations in Brazil - sometimes this will ease you past some of the pain of applying (competitively) directly for a job there.
    Think not only work permit, but residence permit ... they don't always go together.
    But on no condition give up!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I'd suggest a back-up plan as in make sure you land a job in the U.S. after graduation while you navigate and/or try to land a job in Brazil, lest you end up working at the local grocery store. I have been trying to land a job in Australia and am realizing that it may take some time. After many months I have finally figured out the process to immigrate/get a work VISA (this is your first step) and now I need to land a job. But take note-- qualified Australians get the job first-- at least in the public sector. So landing a job just got more duanting. It may be easier to land a job in Brazil, however. Just trying to figure it out is a good experience and if/when you get your first rejection like I have (hopefully you won't), you begin to realize that Americans are not the center of the universe. You'll also get a feel for how hard it must be for someone from a 3rd world county to come over to the U.S.

At any rate, best of luck.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    The book "Wish Craft" might help. It's a book about getting things done and I recall that one thing mentioned in the book is an American woman who decided to move to a foreign country (Australia, I think) and set about making it happen. (It might be a passing reference but people do get such things done, if they decide to make it a goal and don't let anything stop them from continuing to pursue it, even if it takes waaay longer than they had hoped.)

In short, you set aside time every week to work on this goal. You talk to every person you can who might have some helpful ideas. You research the necessary steps -- getting a visa, etc. A "buddy" to help hold you accountable to working on your dreams can be a big help for a lot of folks. (Don't pick a friend who really doesn't want to see you leave. They could subconsciously sabotage your efforts.)

The book "What color is your parachute?" also has similar advice specific to job hunting.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Nov 2010, 10:39 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Sep 2008, 11:57 AM
  3. Living and working in Phoenix
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 May 2007, 10:49 AM
  4. Living In The Country
    Friday Afternoon Club