Great Lakes natural flood protection/management/policy

I'm developing a concept paper on GL water resource management policy,
    specifically flood management. I'm ooking for information or input to
    address:

Description of flooding problems in GL. (Serious, moderate, or not
    really a problem?)
    Predictions under climate change
    Examples of how poor development policies have exacerbated flooding
    What, if any, new policies can change the situation?

I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts or position on this and
    GL water resouces mgt in general. Any assistance or direction to
    information is appreciated.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would consider water management to be important in the Great Lakes. Growing up I spent a fair amount of time at my grandparents 'farm' on the shores of Lake Huron, and have seen water levels rise and fall. There were times when the lake was so high that we could not get to the farmhouse. I was in the area last month and saw that the lake levels are still down by quite a bit; (about 1/4 mile past the seawalls!)

One of the rumors about this problem I've heard is the army corps had fixed a channel by Harsen's Island several years ago to facilitate the movement of frieght, and there is now something terribly wrong with that.

I can almost see the reverse of flooding becoming a problem for the Northern Great Lakes. I am concerned most about the movement of frieght and the reduction of natural habitat should this trend continue.

Beinig a transportation planner, I don't know enough about current water resource policy to address what is needed.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Growing up on Lake Michigan's western shore, it seems like there was rarely a complaint about lake levels being too high, but frequently problems with low levels. However, most of Wisconsin's Lake Michigan shoreline has steep enough slopes that wetlands are fairly isolated, and some of those have been drained and raised to eliminate flooding.

In contrast, I remember reading a series of articles last spring (or maybe a couple years ago) about both high and low levels in Lake Ontario. The article (in the Rochester D&C) was aimed toward local issues (Irondequoit Bay, Genesee River, and the lowland bays to the west of Rochester), though I'm sure that this could probably be generalized toward the entire lake.

At issue was the fluctuation of the lake level from year to year. Naturalists wanted to remove the controls at the top of the St. Lawrence to restore natural variability in lake levels. Lakeshore land owners wanted levels lowered to reduce erosion, while commercial and recreational boating interests wanted high levels to maximize access.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Great Lakes: Magnificent!
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 153
    Last post: 09 Jul 2014, 4:05 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Apr 2008, 11:22 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Jun 2005, 2:41 PM