Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Development agreement: density range

Registered
    Dec 2007

Development agreement: density range

I am working on a development agreement for a 1500+ acre parcel. There was a max number of units established early on. I have been telling the developer to come up with a minimum net aggregate density to the project, thinking this will guarentee a range of unit types.

He acts like I am taking crazy pills. Am I??

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    Has a concept plan been established for the PUD? Typically in the concept plan the max densities are established for both single family and multi family units. I don't believe I have ever seen a defined min density - but I'm sure someone out there has.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    The existing concept only shows a density "target". We are worried that, since nothing binds them to the target, it is possible everything might end up being acre lot single family, a product with which the developers are overly familiar.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Does you Comp Plan or Zoning Code outline densities?

We would always defer to those as the governing documents and leave development agreements for special requests/guidance.

If you do not have density standards, you may have a tough fight ahead trying to convince a developer to go along with a planner's best intentions.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    The Concept Plan density targets should be provided to your planning commission and city council at master plan approval stage. By adding to the staff report or presentation the density requested vs. the concept plan density target you could use your planning commission and city council in the master plan approval process to be your teeth.

On the other hand - if they choose to build only large lot single family homes they will end up with excess density units at full build out. Provided you do not have a density transfer ordinance they are stuck with the excess units.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Density

I just knew that was a planning word. I get the same kind of look here when I use it. Like I am speaking some kind of strange language.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Jul 2013, 1:48 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Feb 2009, 10:55 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Oct 2007, 10:49 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Feb 2007, 7:40 AM