Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Generation Xers and Millenials on planning commissions

Registered
    Dec 2007

How I got involved

I'm at the edge of the x-gen, at 43. I presented opinions before the planning commission in my village. At issue was a large bar/entertainment facility in the middle of our residential neighborhood. I led a large and vocal opposition in a well planned presentation. The bar found a new site to develop.
    Our administrator called me about six months later when an appointment opened up. I was honored to serve, and I've been at it for almost a year. My advice is to watch the folks who present well thought out opinions and approach them.

Registered
    Feb 2008
    I am on the Planning and Zoning Commission in my town and am 27. I graduated college with a Geography degree and took a couple grad courses in planning. Then I decided to go into education and I'm now an elementary teacher. I have been on the Planning Commission for almost a year. It is an interesting way to use my knowledge and be active in my community.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    i was just appointed to the Plan Commission last night. I live in a 1st ring Chicago suburb, and I will be 30 in a month.

It will be interesting.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Diversity on planning commissions
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Sep 2012, 3:32 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Oct 2008, 3:36 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Jun 2008, 5:11 PM