Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Out of Familiar Context

Registered
    Feb 2004

Out of Familiar Context

Not sure how easy or difficult this will be but let's try this as a sort of contest.....

Can anyone name who this individual is and what he's best known for?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    That's ole Jewy McJewerson from the 50's Judah is King Komedy Hour Shvitz

(sorry God's Chosen People)
    Last edited by mendelman; 14 Nov 2007 at 5:54 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Alderman and civic leader, Harry Wholesome from The Town Next Door.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I believe that is Eli Wallach, noted character actor. The Ugly, in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Meet Jeremiah L. Pettibone, Jr. We're all grateful for his invention of the battery powered ear and nose hair remover.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

That guy that discovered DNA? The one who said stupid things about a certain race not being "equal," then claimed it was taken out of context....is that this old geezer?? Josepf McFinkelstein maybe.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Meet Arnie Shollman - he write off-Broadway comedies and lives with his long-time love Irma, who is a potter, over on the West Side - they have a small place out on Nantucket

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I believe that is Eli Wallach, noted character actor. The Ugly, in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
    Color me impressed!

How did you know? Even looking at the 'before' and 'after' pictures right next to each other it's still kinda hard to see the resemblance! I bet otterpop never forgets a face!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Color me impressed!

How did you know? Even looking at the 'before' and 'after' pictures right next to each other it's still kinda hard to see the resemblance! I bet otterpop never forgets a face!
    I like Wallace as an actor, but he has not aged well.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    oh, I thought this was a caption contest - LOL

Registered
    Jul 2002

Gb&u

Mr. Wallach will soon be 92. I think he looks pretty good for his age.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Wallach
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Color me impressed!

I've seen Wallach in lots of movies. When he was young, when he was middle-aged and when he was old. It was sort of odd but when I saw the photo I could hear his voice in my mind.

I am pretty good at remembering faces, but not always putting names to faces in ordinary situations. I run into a lot of people who know my name but I cannot recall their's even though I know the face.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002

Wallach

"When you're going to shoot somebody, shoot, don't talk." Paco, GB&U
    Last edited by Tom R; 15 Nov 2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: ID speaker
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    Mr. Wallach will soon be 92. I think he looks pretty good for his age.
    My son brought something similar up yesterday, he'd been watching Soylent Green and there were the "extras" on the DVD, like what Edward G Robinson had been in, way back. He said it was hard to think of the tough gangster type in old movies with the nice old guy in Soylent Green.

Back to out of context theme: this is what happens when you see someone in the grocery store and know you know them but can't figure out where; then you get home and realize they work at a store you frequent. If they aren't behind a counter in the pharmacy uniform, you just don't get it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    this is what happens when you see someone in the grocery store and know you know them but can't figure out where; then you get home and realize they work at a store you frequent. If they aren't behind a counter in the pharmacy uniform, you just don't get it.
    I'll bet I'm not the only one who recalls being in first grade and seeing their teacher while out shopping and being struck with the strangeness of seeing them outside the classroom......as if Miss Johnson stays in a closet in the classroom at night and opens the door when she wakes up and it's time for class in the morning!

I've also experienced the reverse myself where people will run into me at the store or some other public venue and furrow their brows, give me these long looks and may eventually make the connection that they recognize me from either cable access tv or from one of my live radio performances. It's actually broken the ice before during code enforcement situations. Suddenly, I wasn't such a wicked soul.
    Last edited by Maister; 16 Nov 2007 at 2:39 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I still find it odd to see people, except family, out of their usuall context. Store checkers at the park,my kids teachers at the movies, so forth and so. I do not know why this is, perhaps a need for me to establish a structure or order in my enviroment, God maybe it is part of the reason I became a landscape architect.

Registered
    Sep 1999

I've also experienced the reverse myself where people will run into me at the store or some other public venue and furrow their brows, give me these long looks and may eventually make the connection that they recognize me from either cable access tv or from one of my live radio performances. It's actually broken the ice before during code enforcement situations. Suddenly, I wasn't such a wicked soul.

Yeah, I went thru this when I was in zoning in central FL. I'd meet other parents at my kid's school, neighbors, etc and they'd stare at me for a minute and say "Oh, I know you, I watch you on the P&Z/BCC hearings on t.v.!" Then I was the one out of context!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Happened today.....when I went down to the cafe this afternoon I saw someone on the street that looked vaguely familiar. He said "Long time no see!" All I could say was "It sure has, how have you been?" Saw him 15 minutes later when he came to the meeting in our office Seems he is with the city and we were in a meeting together once about 4 months ago.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS Certification - anyone familiar with it?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 12:43 PM
  2. Anyone familiar with NACo?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 3:04 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Jan 2005, 9:17 AM
  4. A familiar face?
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 10