Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Regulating density in residential PUD's

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Regulating density in residential PUD's

I am looking for examples of density standards/guidelines for PUDs (zoning ordinances, annexation agreements, PUD ordinances, etc.). All input is appreciated.

Thanks-

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    from my PUD - PM me with follow up:

(6) Intensity of development.
    (a) Number of allowable dwelling units.
    [1] Applications shall show the density allowed for a conventional subdivision application. This density shall be used in calculations for requisite open space, affordable unit dedication and also as the base requirement that the Planning Board may increase as noted below. This calculation is the “base development density.” Land encumbered at the time of the application by conservation easement cannot be included in the calculation for base development density.
    [2] An increase in the number of dwelling units above the base development density shall be considered for the following provisions:
    [a] For every additional affordable dwelling unit, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [b] For 10% of open space dedicated on the application parcel, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [c] For the provision by deed and construction of active recreation space, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [d] For projects that meet, either by application or by affidavit for adherence during construction, the standards of Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design of the U.S. Greenbuilding Council (“LEEDS”) or an approved equivalent, for all dwelling units, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [e] For projects that propose to construct new pedestrian amenities to connect the proposed development to other areas, amenities or goods and services, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [f] For projects that provide formal access to public transportation, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [g] For projects that restore or preserve an historic resource existing on the property as part of the application, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [h] For projects that place all public utilities, other than stormwater management systems, underground on the application parcel, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [i] For projects that utilize shared septic systems for all of the dwelling units, an additional market-rate dwelling unit may be allowed.
    [3] A PUD-O may never exceed the allowable number of dwelling units by more than 1 1/2 times the base development density, except as listed below:
    [a] The maximum allowable number of dwelling units may be twice the base development density when the increase in dwelling units above the base development density is allowed as a result of the addition of affordable housing units under § 125-69 M(6)(a)[2][a] and no other provision.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The density of any PUD in our county may not exceed the maximum density allowed by the comprehensive plan.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The density of any PUD in our county may not exceed the maximum density allowed by the comprehensive plan.
    This is a sound way to do it, correlate it with a future land use map for the area you are planning. Other forms of resolving the issue such as annexation agreements may be problematic because they are typically a two-party deal between a developer and a municipality. IMO you would want something codified such as what RJ was referring to.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I am looking for examples of density standards/guidelines for PUDs (zoning ordinances, annexation agreements, PUD ordinances, etc.). All input is appreciated.

Thanks-
    PM me if you'd like. I can send our PUD ordinances that have density provisions interjected throughout and density provisions that call upon the policies in the local comprehensive plan for those communities adopting more restrictive density standards than the county.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    My local government is similar. Although the zoning ordinance does allow for increased density over what is allowed by the comprehensive plan if the Planning Commission and elected officials believe it will result in a "better" development.

Basically, you scratch our back and we'll scratch yours.
    Last edited by btrage; 16 Nov 2007 at 3:50 PM. Reason: spelling

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here's an interesting little quirk in our PUD ordinance:
    The base zoning district's allowable uses shall control at least 75% of development within a PUD, and shall be specifically approved as part.
    We've had two developers take advantage of this provision and had approved commercial uses where the comp plan designation of the land is residential.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 2:51 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Dec 2009, 11:11 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Oct 2003, 1:41 PM
  4. Regulating Residential Compatibility
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3