Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Montreal: green space and urban development

Registered
    Nov 2007

Montreal: green space and urban development

hi there,
    i recently moved to montreal and i found that the city doesnt have as much green spaces (forests, ...) as other cities have, especially not in downtown. after a little research i found out that only few of them are actually protected. many green spaces are unprotected and endangered to be developed, which would mean a loss of species/wildlife, recreational space and important ecological buffer zones - thats what the environmentalists say.
    on the other side there are the landowners who want to built apartmentblocks or roads on these areas. due to the growing population, of course, more housing space is needed to keep montreal successfull and competitive with other big cities in canada.

now, what are your thoughts about this?
    do you think that more green areas in montreal should be protected?
    what about sustainable development? - is there a consensus between environmentalists and developers possible?

i'm really interested in this topic. sorry if my terminology is not perfect - i'm just a layperson...
    hope you can say something about that

d.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dayfact View post
    ^^. . .
    now, what are your thoughts about this?
    do you think that more green areas in montreal should be protected?
    what about sustainable development? - is there a consensus between environmentalists and developers possible?. . .
    I may be relocating to Montreal this November, and I, too, am interested in some answers to these questions. Thank you in advance, all kind folk who post responses.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Mont Royal Park, LaFontaine Park, and Olympic Park are huge, not to mention the river island parks.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Mont Royal Park, LaFontaine Park, and Olympic Park are huge. . .
    Are ^^^these parks protected by the government?
    (The U.S. equivalent would be 'federally protected'. Not sure of the terminology there...)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Are ^^^these parks protected by the government?
    (The U.S. equivalent would be 'federally protected'. Not sure of the terminology there...)
    They are historic urban parks most likely owned by the municipalilty. I wouldn't imagine that they need any federal protection. Does Central Park need regulatory protection? I don't quite get this thread.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    I don't quite get this thread.
    Perhaps dayfact is asking about forest areas on the urban fringe of the Montreal area that might be threatened by development, not necessarily the parks within the City.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Perhaps dayfact is asking about forest areas on the urban fringe of the Montreal area that might be threatened by development, not necessarily the parks within the City.
    hi there,
    i recently moved to montreal and i found that the city doesnt have as much green spaces (forests, ...) as other cities have, especially not in downtown.
    Parc Mont Royal is a massive forested hill right next to downtown (blocks away).

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    hi there, i recently moved to montreal and i found that the city doesnt have as much green spaces (forests, ...) as other cities have, especially not in downtown. after a little research i found out that only few of them are actually protected. many green spaces are unprotected and endangered to be developed. . .
    I would be happy with the current amount of greenery in Montreal. (But note my current locations...) My main question: will even this greenery level be adequately protected in the future?

The City of Montreal's Policy on the Protection and Enhancement of Natural Habitats says:
    According to an evaluation conducted by the Government of
    Québec, protected areas on the Island of Montréal account for
    slightly more than 3% of the total land mass. Drawing inspira-
    tion from the provincial Strategy on Protected Areas, this Policy
    targets protection of a total of 8% of the island area under City
    jurisdiction, including a full 6% land sites.
    The policy outlines three OBJECTIVE TARGETS, a SIX-FOLD STRATEGY FOR ACTION, and SECTORS OF INTERVENTION.

It's dated December 13, 2004, however, and it's only an outline.

The Summer, 2008 publication of Montreal's Network of Large Parks reports:
    City council has allocated $36 million for this project in order to make certain purchases and provide timely compensation. However, this investment is not enough to achieve the objective of six per cent.
    Source:http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/p..._schema=PORTAL

Dayfact, have you read more details than ^^this? If so, what are your sources?

The news in U.S. sources is practically non-existent. (Shame on you, New York Times!) I'd like to read as much material as a I can, even if it entails putting it through a translator.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Nov 2010, 4:11 PM
  2. Useless green space
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 8:32 PM
  3. Ideal amount of green space
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Jan 2009, 11:51 AM