Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: which days do you stuff on/with?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have an advent calendar

6 13.95%
  • I have an Advent wreath with candles and everything

3 6.98%
  • St Lucia Day

1 2.33%
  • St Nicholas Day

3 6.98%
  • Feast of the Immaculate Conception

1 2.33%
  • Hanukkah, which is early this year

3 6.98%
  • Christmas Eve

28 65.12%
  • Christmas Day

33 76.74%
  • Boxing Day

3 6.98%
  • New Year's as part of Christmastime stuff and not separate

7 16.28%
  • Epiphany

6 13.95%
  • Kwanzaa

0 0%
  • I don't do holidays

3 6.98%
  • You forgot...

5 11.63%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your holiday season

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

What is your holiday season

the deadlines for mailing stuff on the Secret Santa thread got me thinking of when people do "stuff" at Christmas - do you do anything with these days?

so what say you?

I will say the 12 days of Christmas STARTS on Christmas not ends the day after - for some reason, I let myself be irritated by people that box up Christmas on the 26th when it really is just getting started

we used to have our personal Christmas party on Epiphany - it's a great time and everyone is free!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For me the official opening day of Christmas season begins December 1st and extends through New Year's Day. Come January 2nd it's back to business.

Any time after December 1st is fair game for hosting/attending a Christmas party at someone's house. I tend to lump Xmas and New Years in the same holiday season.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

okay and when does your tree go up?

just to clarify the question more - and down too?

shoot - I hit submit when I wanted to do a poll - oh well

ours go up the weekend before Christmas and comes down on Epiphany (or sometime thereafter )

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We used to (when I was a kid) and will continue (when my wife and I have kids) celebrate St. Nicholas Day in the traditional Hungarian fashion. (The LP for including this holiday )
    We usually start Christmas on the morning of Thanksgiving. The music at least. My wife and I begin more around St. Nicholas Day and take down the tree on New Year's Eve. Part of this tradition on New Year's Eve is to take the tree to the City of Fort Collins recycling center and then hit up the New Belgium and Odell Breweries for growlers!

I am more into Thanksgiving than I am into Christmas though.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my mom's birthday is Dec. 13th so we typically don't do much christmas-y until after her birthday. we tend to get the tree and decorate around that time as well. the tree stays up until after New Years Day.

our family fell off the religious wagon years ago. we used to do the Christmas eve candlelight service but since our minister passed away a few years ago we don't even do that.

for us Christmas is much more about family and being together than Religion.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Christmas Eve/Day and New Year's Eve are the two things I celebrate. Frankly though, I am not much of a holiday person so it really doesn't matter. I only do it because of the kid.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

The Mardi Gras season commences on Epiphany (Jan 6) and concludes with Fat Tuesday (which floats around in February and March, depending on Easter).

I'm not big into Christmas (despite several red & green plastic storage containers full of stuff). After New Year's I tuck away anything red, and add purple.

MG is not buy buy buy, and it's not all drunks gone wild. We need another winter holiday. Wrote an essay on this topic for the local paper earlier this year.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    The decor goes up around or after TG in the house. The outside decor goes up when there is a warm day around or after TG (when we are in cold climates) or it goes up when I see enough other people doing it. We always got the tree late enough so that it wouldn't be dead on Christmas Day and took it down when it started to have more needles on the floor than on the tree. Very scientific.

New Year's was kind of the end of the Holiday season. We usually had xmas with dad's family in a weekend in the teens of December and mom's family was for a few days whenever anyone could get there, usually the 25th or later, but ending before New Year's. Then we had our own family Christmas on whatever day was closest to the 25th that we were at home.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    My Christmas season starts Thanksgiving night with a Christmas movie and the family around the TV. Then in the following weekend or two depending on the calendar the decorations go up and stay up through the new year for another weekend or so depending on how the holiday's fall.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2002
    My response is similar to kjelsadek, except I don't have kids. I think whether you have kids (or come from a large family) makes a big difference in how you celebrate the holidays. Obviously religion plays a role too.

My husband and I usually have my sister and his mother join us on Christmas Day; his siblings live too far away and have their own families. Sometimes we'll get together with friends or watch a bunch of movies on Christmas Eve, but that's about it. Most years we put up the tree right after Thanksgiving. We have a lot of ornaments that are 20, 30, even 40 years old and they remind us of years past.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I usually put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving and complete inside/outside decorating over the weekend. This year it depends on when I can get the kids who helped unload the moving van to come over and get all the X-mas stuff down from really high shelves in the garage. And I have to adapt all my decorations to a different house this year, that'll take some strategizing.

Everything comes down over New Year's. I don't do New Year's and can't remember the last time I stayed awake until midnight. I usually get out the earplugs to deaden the sounds of firecrackers in the neighborhood and get to bed early.

And I have an advent calender: a Disney one. Oh, did I mention Mickey is my tree-topper?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We put our "stuff" up on the first weekend of December and take it down before New Years (because the tree is drying up and dropping needles according to Ms. P)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    We observe advent but don't make a big deal out it. The creche goes on the mantle during epiphany but little J.C. doesn't make his manger appearance until Christmas morning.

Outside lights go up (usually) sometime after Thanksgiving if the weather cooperates. We don't put the tree up until Christmas Eve and it doesn't come down until Epiphany.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Hanukkah, Christmas Eve and Christmas. I'm in a very diverse family. Well, not that diverse, since we don't do anything for Kwanzaa.

I live in a community with a large Jewish population, but in a neighborhood where Jews aren't as prevalent. I usually decorate my house by putting a Major Award in the window.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm not planning on doing any decorating myself, but as for my family they generally put up the tree two weeks before and take it down two weeks after give or take. I swear it didn't come down until February one year although maybe it wasn't actually that late.

Personal pet peeve of mine: artificial trees. I'm surprised how popular they are, I know people have allergies and suppossedly they're more convienant but something just seems wrong with the whole thing.

A bit off topic but related to Dan's post: http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Registered
    May 2005
    For us, Thanksgiving is the begining and New Year's Eve the end, of one big holiday season. The tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving (thanks to my wife) with other decorations to follow throughout that weekend. The tree usually comes down before New Year's Eve.

When I was younger we put our tree up about 2 weeks before Christmas Day, and since we were good Catholic people , attempted to keep the tree alive until the Feast of the Epiphany.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I only do Chrsitmas because I have someone to do Christmas with. I can do without it. On New Year's, my wife and I throw a party. I think this year's theme will be Clash. Your clothes have to be clashed, mis-matched. If everyone does it, it's great. Last year was an 80s party and the year before last it was a pajama party.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Festavus for the Restavus.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It does not really set in until -
    the day before I fly to visit family and
    it does not seem to end until I show up for work after New Years Day.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    We do the traditional christmas thingy though since my wifes side of the family and my side have such different upbringings and philosophical differences we have learn to not mix em. So Christmas eve we spend with my wifes family and then head to a midnight mass in a really old school presbyterian (sic) church in of all places downtown hollywood.

Then on christmas morning we open gifts at my home, it still seems magical going into the living room and seeing the tree lit up and the half eaten cookies and the empty glass of milk (yeah it is weird considering i am the one who ate them and emptied the glass) and we proceed to open the gifts that santa had worked his freakin ass off for. I at this point hope and pray that they will love every single one of them( cause santa has issues).

We then head over to my sisters house for the day and open some presents and share a meal and then head home around 8:00pm. It is weird that during the ride home the talk is centered around all the after christmas sales.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Our household is a mix of Christian rituals (Baptist and Catholic) and our own attitudes.

Outdoor stuff will go up this (T'giving) weekend if I can get the kids in my house at the moment to help. Another tree toward the second or third weekend in December and the Kid's Mom will want to take it down 12/26.

When The Kid and his older brother were alter servers, we started doing Midnight mass. We just come home after mass and go to bed and hold gifts for Christmas morning. I have come to feel the mass is special, at least at my old church, Sacred Heart in Owasco, NY.

The Kid's Mom has offered to work C'mas day at the State Veteran's Home this year. They need to have something special too and The Kid would rather sleep than open gifts.

LP, I didn't realize there were so many symbolic days at this time. I guess I have been more sheltered than I thought.

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    For me, the Holiday season extends from the day after Thanksgiving until the day after New Year's, or whenever you have to put away decorations or go back to work, whichever comes first.

My family always used to get the decorations out the weekend after Thanksgiving, but that's not happening this year since Thanksgiving falls so early in the month. Then, decorating is done at a somewhat slow pace over the first few weekends after Thanksgiving, with putting ornaments on the tree(s) sometimes not finished until the middle of December.

Anytime after Thanksgiving is fair game for Christmas shopping. Anytime during the month of December before Christmas is fair game for a holiday party or some sort of holiday activity.

One of the fun things I usually do in the time between Christmas and New Year's is take the train to downtown Chicago.

The only two days I usually get together with family are Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. That may change though as families grow.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am not big on celebrating holidays. Though I have been joking with my kids about "the six weeks of christmas" because the radio station I listen to in the car started playing christmas music (CONTINUOUSLY) the Friday before Veteran's Day. My sons have suggested I put up a web-page with lyrics for the song "The 12 semi-weeks of Christmas". Give it a few years and we will all be able to sing about "The 12 months of Christmas", thus putting an end once and for all to silly ideas like "Only 364 shopping days left until Christmas".

MZ, not a fan of the holiday "creep" factor. I think Christmas was more special when it was a few magical days a year and not one continuous blaring sales event for practically the entire last fiscal quarter of the year.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    For us, Thanksgiving is the begining and New Year's Eve the end, of one big holiday season. The tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving (thanks to my wife) with other decorations to follow throughout that weekend. The tree usually comes down before New Year's Eve.
    Same here. My eldest son's birthday is smack in the middle (Pearl Harbor Day), so its one rolling celebratory month.

Lights go up on the house during the weekend after TG.

(Live) Tree goes up two weeks before Christmas, and comes down at some point before NYE.

We're also planning to celebrate the Solstice this year. Some would say it might be overkill, but I'm SO ready for earth to move out of this side of the sun and start seeing longer days.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I haven't really done much decorating in the past, but whatever decorations that are put up, come down after the Epiphany. Christmas is a religious holiday to me and I treat it as such.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 20 Nov 2013, 12:23 PM
  2. Mid-season TV premieres!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Feb 2006, 12:22 PM
  3. The "official" Holiday Season
    Friday Afternoon Club