Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Contemporary interventions in older squares (medieval to baroque)

Registered
    Dec 2007

Contemporary interventions in older squares (medieval to baroque)

Hey everyone. I wuz assigned a study on the conteporary interventions in older squares ranging in period from medieval to baroque. Apparently finding such examples of ellaborate projects aimed at revitalising existing squares are very hard to find.If you happen to know or come across any such "feats" of urban planning ( the Place des Terreaux in Lyon is a good example of what i need ) don't hesitate to reply. Any information is welcome..questions too

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Well you won't find too many examples of Medievil squares still around. I am surprised however about the others as if it 'ain't baroque, don't fix it'.

Seriously. Could you give an example of what you are looking for? I have a suspicioun that less folks than you imagine have ever been to Lyon, France. Do you need a list of public squares in europe? Would modern squares or squares in places like the United States fit the bill?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Try looking for some German cities. There is one, has some kind of big mechanical clock that might fit that description (can't remember the name :P). Maybe some Swiss or Swedish cities since they weren't bombed and rebuilt after WW2?

For the US, the closest you will get is Santa Fe NM. The plaza there dates from like 1609 (yup before Jamestown).
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Try finding information about the redevelopment of Potsdamer Platz in Berlin. Also wikipedia entry: Potsdamer Platz.

I believe this is a baroque square in central Berlin that was completely redeveloped folloing the fall of the Berlin Wall.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    This may make a nice case study as it has only very recently been re-generated.

Built between 1700 and 1730, Queens Square had the inner ring road ploughed straight through it in 1937. This was removed in 2000 and the Square returned to its former state. There are associated bits of new urban design at its corners. Most of the buildings date from the 1720's.

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/conten...ternalSection1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Square%2C_Bristol

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Medieval Boston (photos and commentary)
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 28 Jan 2011, 10:28 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 10:43 AM
  3. urban squares
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Jun 2006, 1:27 AM
  4. Faux town squares
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11