Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Incorporating building codes into UDC

Registered
    Jun 2007

Incorporating building codes into UDC

Does anyone have any references for communities that have included an entire building/construction code into a unified development code, or is that unheard of, for the most part? I can't seem to find anyone who's done it outside of setback and height regulations and sometimes materials, but all of those could potentially be handled in zoning ordinances anyways. We want our UDC to literally be a one-stop shop for anyone wanting to build anything in our city.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    It sounds like it would be a daunting undertaking considering the volumes that make up the various structural, residential, specialty, etc code books. I personally have never even worked in a community that even had their own building codes (have always just been the state building codes adopted by reference), so it wouldn't really be possible where I'm at.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by OregonPlanner View post
    It sounds like it would be a daunting undertaking considering the volumes that make up the various structural, residential, specialty, etc code books. I personally have never even worked in a community that even had their own building codes (have always just been the state building codes adopted by reference), so it wouldn't really be possible where I'm at.
    I'm the same place Oregon Planner is and obviously have the same observation. The state adopts the codes and requires us to apply them. They amend them from time to time, adopt different ones from time to time, and generally do stuff that would make putting the building codes in a development code a nightmare.

Then there is the problem of the very voluminous nature of the building and mechanical codes that would make a single source document several hundred pages thick. They're probably copyrighted, too (that's how the code organizations make money), so if your jurisdiction has adopted them by reference, you might end up with a copyright violation if you copy them and put them in your code.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    We use the ICC with several exceptions, so it won't be too much to add it to the UDC, I don't think. I wish Texas adopted more stringent building codes. Oh well...

Registered
    Jun 2007
    The communities I have worked in/with adopt the codes by reference, and then list out any exceptions they have. That way when the code changes, like they always do, then they just adopt the new code by reference instead of trying to rewrite the whole thing.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Registered
    Jun 2007
    oops double post
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Mar 2012, 5:18 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2009, 11:52 PM
  3. Replies: 10