Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rumors Due to Mistaken Identity

Registered
    Feb 2000

Rumors Due to Mistaken Identity

Check this out. For those of you who know my real name, you know that my last name is not extremely common and is certaintly never likely to be used as a middle name. My name appears in the paper usually twice a week and sometimes more often. So when people see my first and last name next to eachother, they know that the story is likely about city business. Well, in today's newspaper in the police blog section there is someone from a neighboring town who got a DUI who's First and Middle name are my First and Last name. His last name appeared on the next line down. So I can imagine there are several people going... "Look Budgie got a DUI".

Has this sort of thing ever happened to you? Have you ever read your own obituary? Have you ever been mistaken for someone else under embarassing or hard to explain circumstances?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yes. When I was 15, the orthodontist told me that he would have to remove my braces to pull teeth. To this day, I don't know where I found the gumption to argue against that, reiterating that I was told that no teeth would be pulled.

As it turned out, another girl with the same first and last name had an appointment at the same time, and our charts were switched. Like you, my last name is not all that common. My first name goes well with the last name (both Irish) and the other girl's parents thought so, too, when they named her.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I assume I'm the only person in the world with my name so no. I don't think there is any way to know for sure but I've googled my name and the only results are me. First name is not super unusual but not that common either. Last name is rather unusual too. I've found other people with my parents same and name and my brother too, but they all have fairly common first names.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have had people mistaken for me actually...

When I was in the Marine Corps and voted in the 2000 presidential election via absentee ballot my dad (who has the same name as me and the same home address as me at that time) went to the township hall on election day to vote (and likely cancel out my vote) and was told he could not vote because he had already sent in his absentee ballot.

He commonly votes via absentee ballot as he is retired and not always home around election time but swore up and down that he had not yet voted on this occasion. It took my mom to calm him down and realize that it was probably me who had voted and after a little further investigation the situation was resolved.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Based on appearance, people regularly mistook me for Merlin Olsen.

In my state (of the Union) there is a person with the same first and last name who was the head of the state-wide organization of cities. People often assume that I am him. When he was in that job it meant people from other cities usually returned my phone calls quickly. A few months ago I was at a meeting at that organization and had to ask the office staff for a parking permit. They asked my name and stared open-mouthed and google-eyed when I said what it is. That name did not go with me as far as they were concerned. Now they know me as the other [Otis].

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    In my fair city there is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon with same first and last name, only difference is our middle names.
    Some times I got some of his mail and the very rare phone call.
    Never met in person, have only talked once on the phone.

AIB Otis Merlin Olsen - among the better know alumni of my fair school - Utah State University.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My first name is unusual. I've only met a handful of women with that name in my entire life. My maiden name is uncommon and so is my married name. So, no, name-wise, I don't generally get mixed up with other people. Only with going by "Michele" online do I sometimes get mixed up with other Michel(l)es. If I used my last name online, I doubt that would ever happen.

However, at work, my employee number is very close to that of a co-worker. We sometimes get something meant for the other person or we get something sent to the correct person but it has the other person's name on it. I sent her something once that I thought had been sent to me in error. It had her name and my number on it. She sent it back -- it was meant for me and whomever had sent it had gotten the names confused because of the similar numbers. We look nothing at all alike -- we aren't even the same ethnicity/skin color -- so we make jokes about being "twins", easily confused for one another, because of these mix-ups.

I have a younger cousin who once copied my hairstyle a few days after I got a distinctive haircut. Ticked me off tremendously. Get your own damn identity and sense of style. Quit trying to copy/steal/borrow mine.

That's it. No mistaken identity DUI's or scandals or anything.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There is an obscure Hollywood actor with the same name as me. Every once in a while I get questioned about it.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I read my own obituary once, in the local paper, too. There's also an amatuer racecar driver with my name, so every time he wrecks something, I send a link to all my buddies.

In the early 90s, I was frequently mistaken for James Spader.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    There is an obscure Hollywood actor with the same name as me..
    I share the same name with the actor that plays Pearcy Weasly in the Harry Potter movies.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I have a distant relative with the same name as me in the same city. He was on the front page of the newspaper for some silly story and some people thought it was me.

There's a rather successful car salesman across the river with the same name as me. He always has his picture in a company advertisement in the paper as "salesman of the month", and frequently, "salesman of the year". I'm a little surprised folks haven't kidded me about it.

I have thought about shopping for a vehicle there and using my (our) name and getting everybody confused.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    These are funny.

Before I got married, I was the only person on earth with my name. Now I'm one in about 10, when I search online. And one is my age and also lives in Illinois. No mistaken identities yet, though.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Iliff is a pretty unusual name, so I don't see it around much.

I remember as a kid I was home alone one night and the phone rang. The caller asked for my mother, and I took a message. The caller's name was the same as my mother's. Mom had appeared on the front page of USA Today that morning, and this woman in Kansas City with the same name had apparently been asked all day if it was her. So she looked up my mom in Arizona to share that she wasn't the only [Mom] Iliff in the country. Think they still send christmas cards to each other every year.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    My first name is very common but my last is so rare there's only one other person with my name in the US. If I change my name when I get married, I'll have a much more common last name and therefore a more common whole name. Hmm...

The closest I've come was a Yoga Instructor for the other Tresmo emailed me about the classes I took...in Berkeley. Our email addresses are apparently very similar.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    My first name is very common but my last is so rare there's only one other person with my name in the US. If I change my name when I get married, I'll have a much more common last name and therefore a more common whole name. Hmm....
    I always thought that and then married someone with an uncommon last name. (Of course, you may be involved with someone and thus have a specific last name in mind.)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    These are funny.

Before I got married, I was the only person on earth with my name. Now I'm one in about 10, when I search online. And one is my age and also lives in Illinois. No mistaken identities yet, though.
    After being married I am the only one with my name in the US. I kept it after the split since most things were accomplished under that name. There was a lady in the same city as my mom with the same exact first middle last name and unusual spelling of it. They banked at the same institution which caused a mishap a time or two.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Oh, my Budgie!!!
    That certainly does look bad!

I shall assist you in the spreading of the vicious rumor!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    Oh, my Budgie!!!
    That certainly does look bad!

I shall assist you in the spreading of the vicious rumor!!!
    yeah, when I saw that in the paper I thought, "That Budgie is such a lush."
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002

no rumors, but....

There are apparently people with my first and last name and same middle initial who work:
    • for the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
    • in cancer research
    • as an attorney in the U.S. military

To the best of my knowledge, I've never been confused with any of 'em.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've been confused with my father a few times (voting when we were still registered in the same county, etc.) - ended up with a name tag that read "Dr. Bubba" once after I registered on-site for a seminar at a conference center he'd been to years earlier.

If I went by my middle name, I would have the same name as a prominent financial backer of the GOP here in Georgia - there was a two or three year stretch when I was constantly getting invites to party and candidate fund raisers.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    My father shares the same name as another guy in my home town who paints cows (one such painting being a picture of a cow in a stream on a summer day entitled "udderly cool" - you get the idea). My father is a veterinarian who used to work with large animals. So, one day he gets a call from someone enquiring about my father's work with cows which goes on in a halting, confused manner until everyone realized this was the wrong person. We had a good laugh.

My last name is common, but my first name is not (I never met another one until I was 25). When people search for me online, they find a (now deceased) physicist, an electrical engineer and a radiologist all of whom share my name, but they are not related. There is also a 1939 cattle rustling film called "Riders of Black River " that features a protagonist with my name. I've never seen it, though.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Googling my first & last name only pulls up me and some dentist in Canada. Never been mistaken with him before, at least not on my end anyway.

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    My father shares the same name as another guy in my home town who paints cows ....~snip~
    The picture that popped into my head when I read this was of some rogue, stalking around at night literally painting cows. Which reminded me of a farmer in NE Penna that actually painted "COW" on his cows during black bear hunting season. Apparently, PA hunters don't know the difference between black bears and black cows.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Highly unlikely there will be another person with my name, my last name is very odd and my first name is not too common.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. State/regional identity overlap
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 07 May 2012, 5:08 PM
  2. Identity of a decade
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Aug 2011, 5:16 PM
  3. Labelling a new identity