Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Potty Training the Kids (split from Random Thoughts...)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Potty Training the Kids (split from Random Thoughts...)

• fighting with hubby - 25 bucks to buy him lunch to try to make up
    • toilet training a 3 yo boy - 3 bucks a week to buy new underwear to replace the ones he takes a dump underneath my husband's drafting table
    • 2 girls home with strep throats - 30 bucks in co pays and another 30 in penicillin or other derivative, various dollars for comfort foods/fluids
    • try to get work done, run stupid errands for my husband, work out so I don't go crazy and eat too much? PRICELESS

okay, I'm done - thanks - that's much better

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    • toilet training a 3 yo boy - 3 bucks a week to buy new underwear to replace the ones he takes a dump underneath my husband's drafting table
    Note to self...check under drafting table when training the girls

second note to self...don't drink coffee while reading LP's posts

Registered
    Aug 2005

put down your coffee

mendelman - I am running out of commercially produced character underwear because I don't replace what he had before so he knows when he takes a dump in Thomas the Tank (underwear) then that means Thomas gets, well, tanked...

yeah, I know, another quarter goes in his therapy fund...

I'm also trying to get him to stop peeing in the back of his little plastic "dump" truck - I'm not sure I want to be around when he goes to college, he's going far away, like UCLA
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 28 Nov 2007 at 3:20 PM. Reason: had another nutty thought about my kid

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    mendelman - I am running out of commercially produced character underwear because I don't replace what he had before so he knows when he takes a dump in Thomas the Tank (underwear) then that means Thomas gets, well, tanked...

I'm also trying to get him to stop peeing in the back of his little plastic "dump" truck - I'm not sure I want to be around when he goes to college, he's going far away, like UCLA
    You'll have great stories to tell his girlfriends (but Mmmooooooommm, nnoooooo! )
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I am running out of commercially produced character underwear because I don't replace what he had before so he knows when he takes a dump in Thomas the Tank (underwear) then that means Thomas gets, well, tanked...

I'm also trying to get him to stop peeing in the back of his little plastic "dump" truck ...
    Free advice: go invest in a box of Pull-Ups. He's not ready.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Free advice: go invest in a box of Pull-Ups. He's not ready.
    ack - we did - that's the problem - he wanted to go into underwear so we said fine, we've been here twice before with our other 2, right, our previous pediatrician was anti-pullup, and underwear is cheap, but his daycare said no underwear here until he's trained (huh, wtf?)

so he is in pull ups at school and underwear at home - it's a nightmare - our first was like our last, she wanted the underwear and we lived through a month or so of accidents and mis-timings and it was ultimately fine; our 2nd shocked us by announcing no more diapers and went into underwear without one accident ever, so now we are back to square one with our 3rd - our previous pediatrician in Cambridge would kill us if she knew - the one up here is a little more like "oh he'll get it eventually" which is better advice for us older parents since we are not as relaxed as were were 11 years ago with our first

as my 82 yo Mom says, as long as he is trained before Kindergarten, you're all set

Registered
    May 2004
    so he is in pull ups at school and underwear at home ...
    The first two are girls? They learn faster. (No need for hand-eye coordination, and other factors.)

How about a star chart? Special toy bribe? Every time he achieves the desired goal, he gets a star on a chart. When he gets X number of days in a row, he gets a special toy.

I've heard of obtaining & displaying the toy in a high-up place so it's always there, subliminally broadcasting use the potty, use the potty...

It wouldn't hurt to keep him in another box or two worth of pull-ups. The dump truck episodes suggest that he needs positive rewards for doing it right.

And you could spend Saturday with him bare-bottomed, visiting the porcelain throne every hour. (Might want to put away the trucks, houseplants, cat dishes, tuba, wastebaskets...)

Registered
    May 2005
    Veloise said..."The first two are girls? They learn faster. (No need for hand-eye coordination, and other factors)."
    I'll vouch for this. My older daughter was potty trained before she turned 3. The only tricks we used were the Princess, Dora, etc. underwear and strategic placement of her potty chair. It started out in the living room and when she could make it there, we moved it to the staircase landing, then to the top of the stairs, then outside the bathroom door, and then it was up on the big girl toilet.

That being said, my older daughter also spoke very early and I think her ability to effectively communicate helped the process. Instead of us just guessing when she had to go by her body language, she would just come out and tell us.

As far as boys go, from all the stories I've been told by friends/relatives, it seems to me that boys have an inherent embarassment about going to the bathroom that it doesn't seem girls share. Perhaps it helps to actually watch mommy and daddy go to the bathroom in order for the whole embarrassment thing to go away.

Take that Dr. Spock.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    LP -

I share your frustration on the potty training issue....our situation is compounded by Wes' autism. We've had success in getting him to verbalize when he needed to be changed (he says "change bum"), but less luck in getting him to let us know when he needs to go.

So far, he's been once on the potty and actually used it. After a while, it just became a way for him to sit and beg for a cookie or cracker (our incentive system, built through his various behavioral, speech, and occupational therapies)

Thank goodness for size 7 pampers cruisers.....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Oh, I can relate to the potty training problems, and I've got a daughter. She's 3 years and 3 months old. The first time she used the potty she was only 15 months, so I was optimistic. She'll tell us in the middle of the night when she has to pee. But, if she is playing or watching tv, forget about it. We've tried bribing, punishing (definitely don't make that mistake), pull-ups, training undies and regular undies. Basically, the only thing that works is making her sit on her potty every couple of hours. But, the daycare lady doesn't really do that.

If our daughter takes a dump in her pull-up, she'll get upset and say "I didn't go potty." Well, then we know that she did. Or if she says she has to go peepee tomorrow, then we know she really has to go now. Just when I think she's got the hang of it, I'll put her in undies, and then later I'll have a gross mess to clean up. We're kind of at wits end. We did buy her the DVD Potty Power, and that seems to help a bit. Usually after it gets over she runs to the bathroom to go potty all by herself. But, the video is definitely geared more for girls.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    By now there has been enough potty training posts to have been its own thread.

I know it is a serious issue/situation/challenge.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    By now there has been enough potty training posts to have been its own thread.

I know it is a serious issue/situation/challenge.
    Moderator note:
    Consider it done.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Our ped. told us the "magic" window is between 24-27 months for a girl and then again around 3 years. Our daughter just hit 24 months a few weeks ago so we're going to have a potty sit-in this weekend. Basically it's an every 20 minute thing all day long.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

We had our son trained (or at least mostly-trained) just before age 4 (he has aspergers so it was a challenge), then he fell and fractured his femur and was incapacitated for 10 weeks. We had to put him back in diapers because he couldn't get to the toilet. Then we had to train him all over.

I found putting a cracker crumb floating in the toilet made for a fun "target", which helped with peeing. Poop was definitely slower.

My daughter was relatively easy and about a year ahead of him timewise. Though, for whatever reason, even at age 8+ she refuses to flush no matter how we try to bribe her to do so.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Though, for whatever reason, even at age 8+ she refuses to flush no matter how we try to bribe her to do so.
    Does she really "refuse", or does she just forget?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero View post
    Our ped. told us the "magic" window is between 24-27 months for a girl and then again around 3 years. Our daughter just hit 24 months a few weeks ago so we're going to have a potty sit-in this weekend. Basically it's an every 20 minute thing all day long.
    i remember doing that with my youngest for days, nay weeks it seems. I kept a stack of picture books within easy reach for her and sometimes ran the water while she sat. It helped! She was an early starter, but her orientation lasted months and months. from about 15 mos to 2 years. She was keen to try every toilet everywhere, and insisted on having an audience and then a cheering section after the judges viewed the "remains". The hand washing thing was more of a hassle until she learned h-w to make bubbles with her hands.

I am so glad neither of my kids had that fasination with the contents of their diapers that some kids do, and bedwetting has never been an issue. got lucky,i guess.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    My daughter was relatively easy and about a year ahead of him timewise. Though, for whatever reason, even at age 8+ she refuses to flush no matter how we try to bribe her to do so.
    Star chart. Remove stars for any remaining toilet evidence.

"You cleared the table, and you cleaned up your room, so you get a star every day this week. Oh, wait, the unflushed toilet will cost you a star."

She'll learn. And probably grow up to run Greenpeace.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    THe power of the stars! but is it the best idea to take away something they have already earned? I have a chore chart that the kids keep track of chores. I've thought about erasing checks for chores not done, but I want them to stay motivated by making money. The costs of their transgressions are paid out in other varying and surprising forms as invented by mom on demand.

My 9yo is forgetful of flushing too, I interrupt her no matter what and have her finish the deed.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My daughter was fairly easy....by 2.5 she had the day time mastered and by 3 had the night time mastered as well. I tried the pull ups and training undies but they were too similar to a diaper for her so my mom suggested regular thing undies and after she wet herself a couple of times she figured she didn't like that and used the potty. She never would use a potty chair, only the regular toilet. I guess the main thing is not to force the issue, when they are ready they are ready.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Da Boss (split from Random Thoughts)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 3:18 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 20 Aug 2008, 6:18 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 08 Mar 2006, 3:15 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Feb 2006, 8:35 PM