Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Regulating used car lots

Regulating used car lots

Does anyone have any information or links to ordinances on this issue?

Also, does anyone have any ideas about what makes a car lot "overcrowded"?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    An ordinance should not make a difference between used car sales and new car slaes. I think you would have some legal issues if you made that distinction. In the area I work, car sales must be on a lot that is a specific size. Any lot under 43,560 square footage (1 acre), unless they are grandfathered, is not eligible for the property unless a variance is granted. I have never seen a variance granted for this particular use.

I have not, in my experience, seen the issue delt with in a car capacity standpoint. You may want to enforce parking spaces for customers and look at impervious surface regulations to try and curb vehicle proliferation.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Check with your Fire Dept. who might have their own concerns about overcrowding impeding their access.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We have three measures that discourage over crowding of car lots.

A requirement for landscaping islands after every 12th car space. Our landscape ordinance requires a significant ratio of trees to be included. Car lots don't want to be under trees.

We also have the following provisions:

1. A significant limit on the size and placement of all signage, or elements construed to be advertising.

2. A requirement that all merchandize offered for sale be exhibited within enclosed structures (except horticultural material requiring natural sunlight) (and except bulk material such as sand and gravel, however such bulk material must be screened from view from public streets). Automobile showrooms are welcomed.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    An ordinance should not make a difference between used car sales and new car slaes. I think you would have some legal issues if you made that distinction. In the area I work, car sales must be on a lot that is a specific size. Any lot under 43,560 square footage (1 acre), unless they are grandfathered, is not eligible for the property unless a variance is granted. I have never seen a variance granted for this particular use.
    Doesn't this ensure that only large businesses get to establish their used car lot? What about the independant small business owner?
    I only say this because we are seeing an influx of small cars lots being applied for in our town.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Doesn't this ensure that only large businesses get to establish their used car lot? What about the independant small business owner?
    I only say this because we are seeing an influx of small cars lots being applied for in our town.
    One acre is not a size that should prohibit a reasonable business from functioning. The municipality that had this ordinance has a old commercial corridor that has changed to all vehicle businesses. There were numerous instances, prior to the installment of the ordinance, where car sales lots were placed on every conceivable piece of property (regardless of size). The proliferation of car lots was one of many signs of a depressed corridor and movement towards blight.
    Satellite City Enabler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Regulating UFO's
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Nov 2014, 5:54 PM
  2. Regulating commercial mix
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Jan 2007, 1:47 PM
  3. Parking Regulating Parking