Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2007 College Basketball Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005

The 2007 College Basketball Thread

Cyburbia has long-running threads devoted to Baseball and College Football, but none devoted to College Basketball. Somewhere, the one and only Dick Vitale is yelping away at this outrage...

WHAT ABOUT SOME COLLEGE HOOPS BABY!!!! WHERE'S THE LOVE?? HOW ABOUT ALL THOSE DIAPER DANDIES!!!

What say you Cyburbia? Do you have "the love" Dicky V is looking for?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I like the Memphis Tigers (Number 3).
    Notre Dame does O.K. (The Irish women are ranked though..)

My alma mater, Northern Colorado, has a good Big Sky Conference schedule and a game against other Front Range schools (CSU, CU, Denver, Air Force). Leter this month they fly up to the Inland NW to get stomped by Gonzaga.

I don't like Dick Vitale.

The ACC/Big 10 Challenge kept me occupied on the tredmill at the gym this week though!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I was psyched to see my alma mater, Umass, beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome a couple nights ago. I hope they'll be competitive this year; its been somewhat of a sad fall from grace since Calipari bolted in the wake of the Marcus Camby scandal.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Always been a Kansas fan since I lived there very early in my childhood, and went to college outside of the US.

Unfortunately, most of my memories are of the many chokes over the years...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cal is 4-0 to start the season.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Oglethorpe women are 3-0, playing the old Arkansas "40 Minutes of Hell" style of basketball, averaging a 33-point margin of victory, looking good for a third consecutive bid into the D-III tournament...might even make it out of the first round this time...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Go Su

I root for Syracuse, obviously, but I have despised Boeheim most of his career there, especially after the 1987 *choke* fest - he only rarely didn't *choke* when we needed him in the crutch - so glad this is his last year

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Cyburbia has long-running threads devoted to Baseball and College Football, but none devoted to College Basketball. Somewhere, the one and only Dick Vitale is yelping away at this outrage...

WHAT ABOUT SOME COLLEGE HOOPS BABY!!!! WHERE'S THE LOVE?? HOW ABOUT ALL THOSE DIAPER DANDIES!!!

What say you Cyburbia? Do you have "the love" Dicky V is looking for?

It's all about the JAYHAWKS!
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am surrounded by basketball schools that are talked about ALL THE TIME in the local media (print, radio & broadcast) -

Indiana, Purdue, Butler, U of E, USI (Div 2)
    Kentucky, Louisville, Western Kentucky, Murray State, Kentucky Wesleyan (Div 2)
    SIU, Illinois

Then there are my two universities - USU & CU.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Bump...since March (and, therefore, March Madness) is rapidly approaching.

zman is looking good with his undefeated Memphis Tigers.

None of the D-1 teams I have a rooting interest in will get into the tournament, so at least my bracket for the office pool won't be unduly influenced by me being a homer...

I do get to see a good (everything being relative) D-III women's game this weekend, with #25 Oglethorpe (20-3) hosting #8 DePauw (20-3) in their regular season finale.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

So what do y'all think Indiana will do with Kelvin Sampson? Hard to believe the guy gets a second chance (after 577 impermissible calls at Oklahoma), continues the behavior that got him in trouble in the first place, and then, according to the NCAA, lies to them and IU.

Unbelievable.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    So what do y'all think Indiana will do with Kelvin Sampson?
    I'm guessing that he's fired or suspended (and then fired) by this weekend. What a moron...

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I'm guessing that he's fired or suspended (and then fired) by this weekend. What a moron...
    IU fired him today. As an alumnus, I agree with the action, though they should have know this was going to happen when they hired him.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    HUGE win for the Minutemen tonight over URI

Hoping this one puts us in the big dance..

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    So my Dad calls up last night and asks about my plans for Saturday night...

He says that he has tickets to the Denver/Alaska-Anchorage NCAA hockey game on Saturday...

So I get excited, because I like college hockey...

Nope...

He is taking my mom to the game...

He wants me home, watching the Memphis vs. UTenn game so that he can call in and get a score...

Thanks. Dad. I'll gladly watch hoops while you go have fun...

Actually, the should be a good game...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The Memphis/UT game was pretty fun to watch, I must say, even if the outcome was unwanted.

-Peart

How can IU buy out Sampson's contract when he broke the rules? Sheesh, what were the folks in Bloomington thinking.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    How can IU buy out Sampson's contract when he broke the rules? Sheesh, what were the folks in Bloomington thinking.
    Jim O'Brien v. OSU = $2,400,000 and that is exactly what IU was thinking.
    Had it gone to a lawsuit, it might have cost 4 or 5 times what they paid. I agree it sucks to reach a "win-win" in the mud and muck like that but these are litigious times indeed.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    The Memphis/UT game was pretty fun to watch, I must say, even if the outcome was unwanted.
    UT baited Memphis into shooting all those threes and Memphis fell for it- it was a good coaching strategy. Memphis didn't try nearly enough to get the ball inside.

I liked how they didn't call too many fouls and just let them play, for the most part.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    UT baited Memphis into shooting all those threes and Memphis fell for it- it was a good coaching strategy. Memphis didn't try nearly enough to get the ball inside.

I liked how they didn't call too many fouls and just let them play, for the most part.
    Yeah, not watching a whole lot of the Tigers this season, I was wondering why they wouldn't go inside. They looked to eager to shoot the three and then get back on D, not enough time spent setting up.

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The Duke / UNC game this weekend was a good one (at least the second half which was all I got to watch). Carolina was up by 11 at the half, Duke came back and took the lead. As soon as that happened, UNC went on a 10-0 run to finish the game.

So this year Duke beat Carolina in Chapel Hill and Carolina beat Duke in Cameron. Carolina wins the regular season title. Great rivalry and you'll see both in the big dance.

The Gators are sitting on the big ole bubble this year. Their loss to Tennessee hurt badly and they play Kentucky this week. They need a very good showing in the SEC Tourney to make it to the dance. Very young team after last year's starting 6 went to the NBA (after winning the last two Championships!).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm wondering...

What would be the interest in a Cyburbia March Madness bracket challenge?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Gators should easily be back in the tournament next year if their bubble bursts this year...

The Oglethorpe University women's team rolled into the D-III Sweet Sixteen this weekend, knocking off previously undefeated and third-ranked Thomas More in the second round.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm wondering...

Well, I could be convinced to take part. Granted, I'm a complete March Madness Idiot when it comes to brackets. Probably because I don't watch a lot of regular basketball, and tend to make sentimental choices.

I'm in, if it's free.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes....

I'm wondering...

Only if Jeff participates......gotta go up against the best to be the best
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2010-2011 College Basketball Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 28 Jan 2011, 9:56 AM
  2. 2007 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 272