Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Salaries for CDC's compared to public agencies??

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Salaries for CDC's compared to public agencies??

What is a typical Salary of Community Planning/ Economic Development for CDC's compared to a entry to mid level Public Planning Job (35 to45k).

Are CDC's significantly less or around the same?

Thank you

Registered
    Apr 2006
    It depends on the CDC and their level of funding. As In my experience the pay was comparable to that of the public sector.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2005
    I would say that sounds about right for CDCs, but it can vary widely depending on the organization. I think the potential for increased pay over time (ie. pay scales) is less so in CDCs than in the public sector, but again, it depends on the situation. I also think the nature of the work is likely to be more variable at a CDC than in the public sector. They are often trying to do more with a smaller staff and so people often take on duties that might not be typically associated with a public planning position (PR and marketing of activities, graphic design work, etc.)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2005
    It depends what you'd be doing there. Community organizers typically make less than real estate development staff. I make substantially more (like double) as a planner than what I made as a project manager a CDC, but my position was funded by AmeriCorps so this is expected. The Senior Project Manager that I worked with makes somewhere over $50k a year. The Executive Director makes around $85-90k, and the organizer positions start at a little over $30k. That's typical for Boston-area CDCs.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Machete James is rihgt on in describing how different positions are compensated in CDC's

here is a link to a job posting in Washington state for senior developers and developers and you can see the pay is competative with public sector jobs.

http://www.commongroundwa.org/documents/HD.pdf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 May 2009, 6:17 PM
  2. Public agencies being sued
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Aug 2008, 8:16 PM
  3. Issues facing public transit agencies
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 14