Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to inventory park and rec areas-incl school land?

Registered
    Mar 2006

How to inventory park and rec areas-incl school land?

Hi all- I'm working on a Park and Rec plan, and part of it is to inventory the existing "developed recreation area". I've tried to find the NRPA guidelines for how to do this online.
    My question is, should I include ballfields, etc. that the local schools have (which may or may not be accessible to everyone)?
    Is there an industry standard for this?
    Thanks in advance!
    ...Moving at the speed of local government

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Try contacting the School District

Try getting in touch with the local school district(s) to see if and when their facilities are open to the general public. Many schools, elementary especially, allow the surrounding community to use playground and track/field facilities whenever school is not in session and when there is no sporting event.

If the school district explicitly allows public use after hours for some or all facilities, I would include them, perhaps as a seperate category. Knowing their size, location, and times they are open to the public might allow your department to connect them into your parks & rec. master plan. If have or are planning on developing a greenways or trails program, it would be great to include these facilites, even if they're only open to the public part-time.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I don't know of an industry standard. But I would only consider including school property if it is accessible to everybody at all times. Otherwise, you'd be skewing the values for what is actually available for people to use.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You want to include them, but separately from city-owned park and recreation facilities. This is partly for the reasons of access that you noted, but also because of issues such as maintenance responsibilities, funding, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with Cardinal. You wont find the standards on line, as NRPA gave up the "standards" a few years back, and instead recommends locally developed standards. (Do you really need outdoor ice rinks in Texas?)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for your input!
    ...Moving at the speed of local government

Registered
    Dec 2006
    If the school fields are open to the public then I would count them if not don't. I work for the Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks and we are exploring Joint use of some schools. A issue that comes up is that the majority of the field use ( soccer is the demon here) is needed on the weekend so those schools that can do that we do count their fields. Though be wary of restrictions and use practices if you are considering synthetic fields as their mfgs usually require a totally controlled field access.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    We have Joint Use Agreements with both our school districts. As a measuring stick against the Parks and Rec Plan, the joint-use areas only count as half because they're only available about half of the time.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    You should probably only include school facilities if the City has some kind of a joint use agreement for their use. Otherwise they are not really open to the general public and the school district can close them off any time they want (they do it even if they have an agreement ).
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Apr 2010, 10:25 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Jun 2006, 4:20 PM
  3. Park Inventory Analysis
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Aug 2002, 10:23 AM
  4. School land use impacts