Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Advice on rezoning and selling our home

Registered
    Dec 2007

Advice on rezoning and selling our home

we were extremely devastated to learn the 107 acres next to us that is now residentially zoned is being sold to build a hospital and will be rezoned institutional. our property butts right up next to this property.

we were notified from the planning commission that we could speak up about being for or against this a few days ago. the meeting is a week from today.

we have been told that the hospital MIGHT be interested in purchasing our 6 acres, but nothing has been signed or any $$$ for our property have been offered.

we know that this zoning will be pushed through since it is for the betterment of the community. then, our property will not be able to be sold to anyone wanting our home because no one would want to live next to a noisy hospital and have all the traffic and lights disturbing the peace.

we feel that if we cannot get a price agreed upon and signed before the rezoning takes place that we will have no leverage in our asking price. we fear will be given a take it or leave it offer.

if we were to actually get enough for us to relocate, we would not oppose the rezoning. the initial devastation we felt has subsided and we have accepted the fact that our lives will be changed forever. but, since we do not know what is going to happen about them buying us out, we do not know what to do. is there anything we can or should be doing right now?

we are just so upset over this. sleepless nights have been the rule. stress has taken a toll on our health. i will appreciate any thoughts any of you might give.

Moderator note:
    Please no teaser titles in the professional fourms. I edited the thread title to be less "urgent".

thanks
    mendelman
    Last edited by mendelman; 03 Dec 2007 at 7:24 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had a sociology prof in college that always preached "buy near an institution - it will RAISE / stabilize your property value. After 18 years in the planning business, I have found this to be true.

My only fret would be if they have a heli-pad. They can be noisy at odd hours.

I live about 4 blocks from a major medical institution (with heli-pad). I hear sirens, but nothing too offensive.

I understand your concern, but urge you not to over-react.

Registered
    Dec 2007

appreciate your reply

chet, i appreciate your reply, and feel you are probably correct about our property value raising in the future. our problem with this is that my husband and i are in our 60's. we do not have years to wait for the value to increase. we need to relocate while we still have good years to enjoy our lives. we do not want to waste precious years by this hospital. how long do you think it would take for someone commercial or institutional to buy our 6 acres? if time were on our side, we would wait it out. but...that is not the case. it will take them probably 4 years to build the hospital. we like seclusion and quiet. my husband has to have elbow room. putting up with all the noise while the building is going on would be horrible. seeing the destruction of the 107 acres of wooded property
    that we have loved and lived next to for 25 years and enjoyed as our own will devastating. sooooooooooooooo... anyway, i appreciate you taking the time to write back.

I agree with Chet and would add the following:

Is this a straight rezoning or a Planned Unit Development District? If the latter, there must be a development plan along with the zone change which you can and should comment on, especially with regard to development standards, i.e., side yard setbacks, lighting, noise, tree preservation, etc. If it is the former, make sure your legislative body suggests buffers that will create separation between your property and the hospital (including its mechanical equipment, which can be quite noisy) and parking/circulation areas.

Ask that construction hours be limited -- you could ask for 7:00 am to 7:00pm M-F, 8-5 Sat and none on Sunday, for example. Ask your legislative body to compel construction using major arterial streets as opposed to smaller residential streets.

If the zoning is approved, contact a commercial realtor (not bobby sue down at the Century21 that sends you those nice magnet calendars each year, but someone that deals exclusively with commercial property) and ask them to put developers in touch with you. Get your property appraised by a competent appraiser. Talk with your neighbors to see if anybody has inquired about purchasing their property.

As a good friend of mine is fond of saying: everyone wants progress but no one wants change. Good luck!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I don't know if anything that I say will help but. Our previous house was in an old established neighborhood. The hospital had expanded and then they put in a high rise Dr office building . Two thing that were agreed on in the planning was that the sirens would be turned off as soon as they turned into our neighborhood and they would slow down. Alot of turns anyway so that was appropriate. The light from the parking were either turned off or sheilded so they did not effect our home. The hospital was a great neighbor. As for the office building they came in after I went to work and left as I was coming home so at night it was very peaceful.

As for the helipad. their flight path was directly over our home. I only have to say that if people are so inconsiderate that they could not understand a helicopter landing with a severely injured person aboard. Shame on them. Yes we could hear it. No it never was an issue. But not knowing what your exact issue are it would be hard to say. I would not ever hesitate to be close to the hospital.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2007

more explanation

we live in a rural area. we live down a 1/2 mile gravel lane. on one side down our lane is the 107 acres of woods. on the other side is app 100 acres of farmland. on the back side is all farmland. we have lived here for 25 years. we bought this place because it was secluded and quiet. the woods was listed as a classfied forest. it was zoned as residential 1.

now it is being rezoned as institutial so the hospital can be built there. to go from living in seclusion to living with noise, lights, and traffic is heartbreaking to us.

my question is whether we need to get a written and signed statement on a price offered to us for a buy out before the 107 acres is rezoned in a week. if the rezoning goes through, will we just be at the mercy of the hospital to give us a take it or leave it offer? if that is the case, we will want to fight the rezoning. if we can get a bid high enough to allow us to be able to build somewhere else, we will not oppose the rezoning.

i guess i am not very trusting of big business doing the right thing by the little man.

i do appreciate everyone's comments. they give me food for thought. thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Help RJ with home repair advice
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Jan 2013, 9:53 PM
  2. Replies: 44
    Last post: 23 Aug 2012, 11:46 PM
  3. Selling yourself in a cover letter
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 May 2008, 9:08 AM