Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: No healthy work environment

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

No healthy work environment

Hi all,

This is related to office staff. I have a collegue who I am suspecting that hides files or information about the projects I work on. This happens when I am in the most need on those files. And sometimes he puts them in my office without my knowledge so that I look bad in front of others that I myself has the files and was looking for them everywhere else.

I am growing in my current job and we both are planners. It looks like he doesn't want me to produce good work in a timely manner and gain good reputation. How can I get files when I need them? There are very less chances that I can be wrong but the secretories are not that bad. so it should be him.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Veggie View post
    ...This is related to office staff. I have a collegue who I am suspecting that hides files or information about the projects I work on. This happens when I am in the most need on those files. And sometimes he puts them in my office without my knowledge so that I look bad in front of others that I myself has the files and was looking for them everywhere else.

I am growing in my current job and we both are planners. It looks like he doesn't want me to produce good work in a timely manner and gain good reputation. How can I get files when I need them? ....
    Lessee...

--when this happened to me (the admin had accepted a site plan revision over the counter, "somehow" it did not reach me until the applicant arrived to discuss version 2), I wrote it up as a memo, sent to Twp supervisor (a part-timer "nice guy") and Twp clerk (a part-timer afraid of confrontation). They called her in for a discussion.

--Make duplicates of the files or the pertinent data

--Booby-trap the soon-to-vanish files with commentary or "updates" that will put the shoe on the other foot. Example:
    12/10: Applicant has revised the plans and is now filing for rezoning, seeks MHP status. Let your colleague break all hell loose.

--Lock up the files

--Digital pics of your working files. Make the tabs big and bold, use the time stamp on the camera. I would store the pics in an on-line folder so that when push comes to shove, you can pull up the link and show your director/HR that your work materials are growing legs of their own accord.

Lucky me, since my biggest desk issue these days is the cleaning crew adjusting my chair and its arms, re-arranging my keyboard, moving the puzzle pieces in my skyscraper brain-teaser...I have big bold Ray Charles signs attached to everything.

HTH

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Just keep your desk and area such a mess that no one would dare enter to look for something because an avalanche of files might bury them for weeks before anyone found them

Set up a nannycam and catch their posterior in the act!

If you are absolutely positive it is them, confront them and tell them that you do not find it funny and if they do that again you will file an EEO complaint against them for creating a hostile work environment, and take them to civil court for punative damages. That might get their attention. It wouldn't hurt to leave an advertisement for well known lawyers in your area on your desk where they can see it before the confrontation, with a sticky with perhaps some "talking" points on it.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Have worked in a couple of similar situations and usually did what the rest have suggested.
    In one place when I was starting out I watched my supervisor deliberlatly misfile pertinent files
    This was a large department seperated into divisions with a lot of back biting
    The first time I saw him doing it, I had come in early and he gave me a lame excuse but as time went on, I realized what and why he was doing it and could "find" files when I needed them. But I always "put them back using his filing system"
    After I had enough time in, I left,
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that this time of behavior is condoned by management, I could be wrong but it is still my belief and once I "moved up in management" I would not tolerate this time of behavior.
    It is detrimental to the organization and eventually the entire organization is in fail position
    If it is in the private sector than sooner than later it will mean a loss of business for the firm. And again it is my belief if this is ongoing then it is condoned by upper management
    There are times when my belief has become confirmed when I am at meetings or at lunch with other people in senior management positions who will joke about "their people" acting in this Dilbert manner.
    I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How can we eat healthy?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Oct 2011, 5:32 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 3:02 PM
  3. The Healthy Lifestyle Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30