Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any policies for returning inactive applications?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006

Any policies for returning inactive applications?

Good day all,

I am working on drafting up a City policy for returning applications due to inactivity or a lack of responsiveness to staff requests. I am hoping to pick yours brains and gather some examples of agencies you know of with established policies or code sections for returning applications. Any examples of adopted policies, known issues or experiences on this subject are greatly appreciated. Given the state of the real estate markey in many parts of the county I imagine this is not a unique topic. Thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer.

Cheers,

Davidpcvsamoa

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If it's a matter of completeness, make it a policy of not accepting the application fee until the application is considered complete by staff.

For applications that have already been seen at least once and tabled by a review board, let that Board make a policy on how long they'll wait for the requested changes before they deny the application or deny without prejudice.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Check your state code as it may have some guidance as to what is "dead" otherwise in Greensboro we used the 6 month rule, no submissions in 6 months it was filed in the dead file. Here in NoVa there seems to be no solid date but I wish there were.

Also SGB is right don't accept ANY part of a submission that is not 100% complete that will save you many headaches.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will check the State Law to ensure there is no conflict. We always do our best to make sure applications are complete before they are accepted but sometimes additional information is needed to approve a project. For example, we don’t always know the level of environmental review that will necessary when a project is accepted ( i.e. traffic studies, biological studies, etc). Sometime projects become inactive when they are unwilling to provide the needed studies.

The common scenario is that project becomes inactive because the development deal falls apart, the market cools off, or they run up against some large infrastructure cost needed to develop. Rather than withdrawing their application, they just let it sit and do not respond to our requests for progress updates or project revisions. The Planning Division does like inactive applications sitting around for more than 2-3 months.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any examples of written policies or code sections for terminating or returning applications due to inactivity.
    Last edited by Davidpcvsamoa; 11 Dec 2007 at 1:16 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    If I had heard nothing at all I would give them 6 months, or 9 months if they kept saying they were doing something but never turned anything in, then I would send a letter saying their case would be closed if we didn't recieve new materials in 2 weeks. If they didn't send anything new in, case closed. Then another follow up letter to tell their case was closed due to inactivity and it would take a new application and fees to begin again.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Our code reads,

"Upon receiving an application, the City staff will review the application for completeness. Staff has a total of 30 days to review the application for completeness. The 120-day decision period begins the day after the application is deemed complete. [note state law requires a decision within 120 days of deeming the application complete.] It shall be the duty of staff to notify the applicant within three days of an application being deemed complete.
    If the information contained in the application is not sufficient for complete staff review, staff will return the application to the applicant with a written explanation disclosing what information, forms, or fees are missing. It shall be the responsibility of the applicant to revise or supplement the application as required by the City staff in order to make it a complete application. If appropriate, a written agreement from the applicant may be accepted by the City staff, explaining how the technical problems will be resolved or information prepared. Failure of the applicant to provide a complete application within 181 days of the original submission shall result in the application being considered withdrawn. City staff shall notify the applicant that the application is considered withdrawn and inform the applicant that the application may be resubmitted at any time."

Because state law requires that we make a decision within 120 days of the application being deemed complete, if additional information is required once we accept the application as complete and the applicant fails to provide that information, we simply issue a decision and deny the application.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Returning Member
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Jul 2007, 8:41 AM
  2. Returning to NYC for school
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Jun 2007, 7:39 AM
  3. Returning
    Introduce Yourself