Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is my view realistic of the planning profession?

Registered
    Dec 2007

Is my view realistic of the planning profession?

Ok, I am in grade 12 and considering Planning as a career, but wondering if what I think of it is what it entails? I really enjoy planning out subdivisions and residential developments for consumers and would love planning developments out on paper and then providing the potential pool of consumers with in-depth presentations showing them all about my developments. I would eventually like to start my own Planning Consulting firm developing suburban communities. What do you guys think? Is that what planning entails? I'd definetely be interested in grad school whether it involves a Master of Planning or an MBA so I'd be more available for private sector. I have little interest in working public sector.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It sounds more like your interested in real estate development. Planners are more advisors than anything.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Sounds to me like you are interested in master planning and residential site design. I would go for a bachelors of architecture or landscape architecture, work for a few years, and earn an MBA or a real estate degree.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I would suggest Landscape Architecture, with an emphasis in Environmental Design.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In our firm the planners develop conceptual plans, usually for public clients, and incorporating extensive public participation in the process. The civil engineers work for developers, laying out detailed plans at the site or subdivision level. That's a simplification, but it gets to the heart of the matter. If you prefer to work at the conceptual level with the public, then consider planning. If you want to put together the detail with direction from the developer, then become an engineer.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2005
    The public side of planning deals with policy creation/interpretation, development review, and public participation. The private side are the ones that actually layout individual projects. The public and private sides hire planners, engineers, and landscape architects to do the work.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    I would landscape architecture, but the only school for it in Canada is at the U of Guelph and I would apply but they require a portfolio and i have planned things on paper before but definetely not for what a portfolio requires to show artistic ability.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 May 2010, 11:11 AM
  2. Is planning a 'sociable' profession
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 01 May 2010, 1:29 AM
  3. What is the planning profession really like?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 9:01 AM
  4. Planning as a profession
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Sep 2007, 2:38 PM
  5. Urban planning as a profession
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Sep 2004, 11:49 AM