Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lowbrow Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The Lowbrow Thread

You can take a planner out of the gutter but you can never fully take the gutter out of a planner. It doesn’t matter if you live in a gilded 5,000 sq ft. mansion, drive a Rolls Royce, drink Chateau Lafite-Rotschild wines, and attend the opera every week (and there must be LOADS of planners who live this lifestyle)…..we are not deceived by such outward trappings of culture and refinement. We know that deep within the halls of that mansion you are probably down in the basement thoroughly enjoying NASCAR and Larry the Cable Guy on your 72” plasma screen tv!!

This thread is the antithesis of the snobbery thread. What ties to lowbrow culture are you hiding, or more likely, are you heedlessly displaying to anyone and everyone? Do you have a fondness for Old Milwaukee beer? Collect ball caps? Hail from the UP (in Michigan)? Secretly own one or more Garth Brooks albums? Have a black velvet painting somewhere in your house - or better yet, a print of those dogs playing poker? Belonged at some point to a bowling league? Drove a Chevette? There are all sorts of criteria which might qualify one for having lowbrow tastes, but what’s your claim to fame? How in your life do you exhibit a decided lack of discrimination, sophistication, and refinement?

Personally, my sense of clothing style is my claim to lowbrow fame. Any time I'm not at work or a wedding it's a safe bet you'll find me attired in either sweats/t-shirt, jeans and plaid shirt, or shorts and t-shirt.
    Last edited by Maister; 11 Dec 2007 at 4:57 PM. Reason: volunteered my own credentials first
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'd rather spend my time and money in Tractor Supply than the Galleria.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I own and use a chain saw and drove a pickup for 20 years until it died. Now waiting for Zman to deliver his pickup to me.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I own and use a chain saw and drove a pickup for 20 years until it died. Now waiting for Zman to deliver his pickup to me.
    I like wearing Carhartt work pants and drinking the occasional Hamms' beer or Colorado Kool-aid (Coors).

I also like to drink beer in garages or driveways, particularly with factory workers and mechanics in a predominantly rural/agricultural county on the high plains.

I have been known to enjoy a Back Woods cigar.

I really like to fart.

Off-topic:
    Crap, I have to PM Otis.
    Last edited by zman; 11 Dec 2007 at 5:58 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    One of my nicknames is thunder nose because of how loud my sneezes can be

My dad and I occasionly have belching and farting contests

I've been known to listen to classic rock

In highschool in the '80s I had a suede on the outside-wool on the inside vest.

I was a member of the NRA in highschool and went hunting

Personally, my sense of clothing style is my claim to lowbrow fame. Any time I'm not at work or a wedding it's a safe bet you'll find me attired in either sweats/t-shirt, jeans and plaid shirt, or shorts and t-shirt.

And what is wrong with that, especially if the jeans are faded and ratty.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Yes I have been in a bowling league.

I occasionally enoy drinking PBR. It's not uncommon for me to go out on weekends looking like I just woke up in the gutter

I like to laugh at people like Zman when they fart

Registered
    Jul 2006

Planning for a third-economy country, in a third-economy region.

......But still get paid.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I lived in a double wide for a number of years.
    I used to belong to a bowling league in SC (no time here).
    I drove a beat up Chevy Lumina with patches of primer on it because I was too cheap to get the beater painted.
    I make my kid do chores, without pay.
    I like to be barefoot most of the time, office included.
    I know how to make $10 of groceries last 3 days.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just thought of a few more of mine....perfectly content drinking Lipton tea or freeze dried Taster's Choice coffee. Own lots of albums that reflect poorly on my historical musical tastes such as: Juice Newton, Rick Springfield, Saga, and lots more absolutely forgettable rock from the 70's and 80's. I've got two old 1950's era prints in the basement including a Winchester ad and Custer's Last Stand (being tucked between Maxfield Parish and MC Escher posters somewhat diminishes the effect possibly leading one to believe the prints are intended to be hipster ironic, but the truth is the prints were up years before the posters were added).

Oh, forgot.... I own no less than THREE K-TEL records ("Power Play", "Southern Fried Rock", and some soft rock one I got from an old gf). Top that, ya highfalutin snobs!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I will be in a bowling league in the winter.

I also own a Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires (and all the toys that go along with that) and have a fondness for the wood paneled Jeep Grand Wagoneers (I have gone through a couple of them in the past few years).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2000
    - I grew up in a doublewide.
    - Most of my children's clothes are hand me downs.
    - Our christmas tree is a charming collection of our childhood ornaments and mismatched ornaments we've received as gifts over the year and by no means is color coordinated or "themed".
    - One of my favorite shows is Best Week Ever

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I've been in a bowling league - because it is fun!

I drink beer, usually at the bowling alley or with nachos.

I can spend hours at Home Depot or Lowe's, but avoid the Galleria/large malls if I can.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2006
    On occasion i will drink bud, whiskey out of a bottle, do the pull my finger thing and marvel at the joys of well designed powere tool.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I would love to own and operate an auto wrecker yard.

I would be sure to be the only guy that got to operate the crusher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-359-1116467390.jpg  
    Last edited by mendelman; 12 Dec 2007 at 3:24 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    bud light and coors light are my beers of choice.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I drive a soft-top Geo Tracker.....In WI.

I have duct taped the cracks between the soft top and the metal on the outside of the vehicle in an attempt to reduce the flow of air through the vehicle in order to stay above freezing.

ALL HAIL THE ROLL OF DUCT TAPE!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown View post
    - Our christmas tree is a charming collection of our childhood ornaments and mismatched ornaments we've received as gifts over the year and by no means is color coordinated or "themed".
    Isn't that how it is supposed to be? I'm taking pride in our 3 ornament tree (first Christmas together and with a tree) because I know it will accumulate over the years. Those themed trees make me want to throw up.

*MrTresmo's pride and joy was a early 90s Camaro, RIP (It was broken into and totaled ) I thought that car was cool.
    *MrTresmo really likes to fart and I think it's funny, except for the noxious odor
    *I watch really bad reality shows (Rock of Love with Bret Michaels, Tila Tequila, The Hills, Laguna Beach... although usually while working out because they're easy to follow reading subtitles)
    *If I'm in a bar and there are a hundred kinds of beer and they're all free, I will order Bud Light. I also like wine in a box. Now that I have a job this may start to change.
    *I love jerky and beef snack sticks
    *I belch. A lot.

Registered
    Jul 2002

lowbrow

OK, I'm a Stillers [Pittsburghese] fan
    I listen to Tom Waits, John Prine and ZZ Top
    I love to plink squirrels (and would if I didn't live in a City)
    I love Strohs
    WALSTIB

Okay, I do like to watch the last 50 miles or so of the Daytona 500. I try to atone for this lowbrow behavior by watching the last 2 or 3 holes of the Master's.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I smoke Back Woods during black fly season when I'm outside

in the privacy of my car, I listen to ZZTop

I love my Mom's silver Christmas tree from my youth with the color wheel

I love a can of Franco-American Ravioli for lunch but I don't because it's really bad for me

I wear Sorel's and a parka with a suit to work (I live in Maine!)

but the best lowbrow thing about me is:

after downing a can of A&W, I can burp the alphabet!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I have chewed tobacco (but thankfully quit)

I dress like a bum doing Saturday Morning errands

I too will watch the last 50 laps of the Daytona 500, but no more.

I occasionally drink cheap vodka and orange crush, and like it

Wear Carhart jeans

I don't really listen to much low brow music, maybe a little 70's country rock if I have to

Registered
    Sep 2007
    -I was raised on PBR and drink Busch Lite now. I consider it a step up.
    -I drove a 69 Charger and a 73 Grand Torino sport with a Toploader 4speed...when I was a 'repsonsible' adult in my 20s and 30s.
    -I used to pee off the porch, but my wife made me stop.
    -I love Lynrd Skynyrd.
    -I've owned eight cars, and only the Chrager was an automatic.
    -I wear flip flops or go barefoot unless required by dress code or decorum.
    -I love old tractors.
    -I thought about getting a 40" Gravely like dad has because it can "flat knock down a lawn."
    -All my friends and family said, "That was just like you!" after they saw Joe Dirt.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I love a can of Franco-American Ravioli for lunch but I don't because it's really bad for me
    oooh good one! I may as well say it here because I can admit it proudly nowhere else - I prefer the grocery store brand mac n cheese to any homemade variety.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Have driven pickups for years
    Have been on bowling leagues Although not for a few years
    And when not at work or attending a community service league meeting, always wear jeans and t-shirt/sweat shirt and baseball cap.
    At the stage of life where I wear jeans and T to the community service league meetings but wear a sport coat
    Come from a rural agricultural area and still am tied to my roots
    Have started wearing baseball caps with suits

Registered
    Nov 2002

I think Hank done it this way

I enjoy listening to outlaw country music.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  2. Thread thread attention split
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 4:35 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM