I have pretty much come to the conclusion that around June I will leave my current job. There are still a couple of promising job leads I have (one I was asked to apply for and a couple I am interviewing for) and I have been doing some minor consulting. But if a new job doesn't work out, I have paid off our debt, have arranged the option of at least four months of a place to stay and an apprenticeship that I have always wanted to do, and will have saved enough to live 4-5 months after that (assuming neither my wife nor I find a new job). As we don't have kids yet, and my wife is flexibly employed, and we are getting into mid-30s, this seems the right time to pursue a "gap year" and also pursue a geographic change that my wife and I have talked about for some years before settling down. I have suffered burnout, and after career exploration realize I achose my last move poorly, am in the wrong type of job for my talents and personality type, and also feel I am compromising my values at my current job, so I need time to take stock of where I'd like to be, and am willing to be more of a risk-taker to get what we want out of life. I have had a couple of offers but wasn't in the state of mind to accept something that was "less bad," and have been a finalist for a couple jobs I wanted.
The place I work is extremely bureaucratic (and I've worked in bureaucracies) and it can take quite some time to get approval to re-hire a current position. I don't want to leave my co-workers in a bad position (or have them give me a poor referral - so far my performance evals have been good). I have been considering giving exactly four weeks notice - by then I should know if one of the other jobs will work or if it's off to something new. It seems this is enough of a courtesy? Some of the open positions here are now being filled so things should ease up. Would it be dumb to talk to my boss now, let him know it's not working out and that I am looking, but by June I would be taking off? I don't think my boss would be surprised as they often articulate many of the same pressures we all feel here. Or best to wait until 4 weeks out?