Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LEED certification

Registered
    Sep 2007

LEED certification

Now that I have a PE in mechanical engineering, would it be advantageous to gets LEED certified? I'm thinking it might be better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. On the other hand, I think it would be a lot more useful if I was a Civil engineer.

Thoughts?
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Dec 2006
    It would look good on your resume. As far as being good for a civil engineer I dunno. The project I am working on right now is a Master Plan for A regional Park in Los Angeles and the Maxium amount our consultant can get for the site design portion is 31. Get this according to them they can drop 2 300x300 two story underground parking structures on a coastal bluff ledge, unearth over 80,000 cyds of soil and still claim according to leeds that they are being sustainable and or site sensitive.

Go Figure

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Are you working on any LEED projects, or plan on working on any in the near future?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    "PE in mechanical engineering"

What state is this that you get licensed as a mechanical engineer, and not just a PE?

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Oh, it's a PE, not PE Mechanical. I was just defining that my field of expertise was in mechanical, not civil engineering. I know LEED looks good for the civils, and they'd use it, but I'm not sure how applicable it'd be on the mechanical side.

No, I don't do LEED and don't have any prospects that I can forsee, I was just wondering if it'd be good to have.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I think it would be a good bullet point for a resume in a project proposal, but it also depends on who the potential client is. My firm has teamed up with engineering firms on projects (I know a couple of the PE's have LEED certification). Sometimes they have included the certification and sometimes they have left it off.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved to the Career Advice subforum

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Captain Worley View post
    Oh, it's a PE, not PE Mechanical. I was just defining that my field of expertise was in mechanical, not civil engineering. I know LEED looks good for the civils, and they'd use it, but I'm not sure how applicable it'd be on the mechanical side.

No, I don't do LEED and don't have any prospects that I can forsee, I was just wondering if it'd be good to have.
    You could probably help on LEED projects by doing energy simulations, calculations, etc, if you are involved with HVAC work. From my experience, that's the only way I've seen a mechanical engineer involved in a LEED project. Like you said, it's mostly civil engineering (water, transportation issues), some plannning (transportation, sustainable sites), and architecture (everything else).

I think the LEED system will grow tremendously. If you're interested in working with it and on more sustainable projects, it can't hurt to become an AP.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP and LEED certification for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 23 Apr 2013, 9:44 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 9:58 AM
  3. LEED AP
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2010, 4:38 PM