Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you a Cyburbia contrarian?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

How are you a Cyburbia contrarian?

Let's get this out of the way first and foremost: no flaming, no debating, no pointing and saying, "You WHAT?" The whole point of this thread is to come out of the shadows and admit to swimming against ther stream of Cyburbia cool.

I'll go first.

1) I believe that the build quality of newer houses is superior to that of older houses. For those that constantly say "older is better!" when discussing everything from cars to houses, I have two words: survivor bias.

2) There are some chain restaurants that I enjoy. I like the food at Olive Garden, especially their addictive breadsticks. Unlike what most people will claim on most message boards, eating at Applebee's isn't an act that induces vomiting in me; although the food there is not great, I don't think it's as bad as many make it out to be.

3) I don't believe every aspect of life in the United States, from culture to cars to food to people, is always inferior to its equivalent in Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

4) I don't think that "indie", whether it's music, cinema, foo or whatever, is always superior to "mainstream" or "sellout".

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I believe the absence of zoning in Houston will do more good than bad in the long run.

Echoing Dan, I think that many chains have pretty good food. If only Rosco's Chicken and Waffles would spread across the US, I wouldn't have to go to LA that often

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not a bad person for owning an SUV. (I did just order an econo box but will keep the truck).

I do enough for the environment and think Al Gore is over reacting.

Many zoning agencies and codes are not rational. Too many are still using "model ordinances" from the 1950's that habe no relevance today.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't worship the rust-belt (and associated culture).
    I don't understand most pop-culture references in the forums prior to the mid 90s.
    I am single with no children so I don't particularly care to read any of the threads devoted to domesticity/family matters.
    I could care less about where the best BBQ is- I don't care to visit any of those places anyway.
    I think the FAC tends towards super-dorky.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    - I like my snout house.
    - I think that my suburban, low-density neighborhood in aa bedroom community offers the best "neighborly and community" experience I have ever lived in.
    - I like big, diesel pickups
    - I cringe at someone being overly "urbanist".
    - I think Jane Jacobs is overrated.
    - I am becoming more and more Libertarian in my views.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    - I like my SUV. The next SUV or truck I get will probably be larger and less fuel efficient.
    - I'm politically conservative.
    - I'm not bothered by the lack of sidewalks in my subdivision.
    - I'm not from, nor do I currently live in, Michigan, Chicago or Buffalo.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    I too enjoy chain restaurant food. I like the familiarity, cost and it usually isn't that bad taste-wise.

I never post in the birthday threads or Introduce Yourself thread.

I own an SUV that guzzles gas. A lot of it.

I use as much nasty-ass chemicals on my lawn as possible to make it look nice.

I like watching TV. Quite a bit of it actually, if you include sports.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I like mass produced beer (Miller High Life to be specific) over the majority of micro-brews that I've had
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Bubba - I like the new avitar. I sure do hope he comes to the Falcons.

Ok, onto the thread...

1. I live and work in the suburbs and like it.

2. The SUV I drive rocks!

3. I like dance/club music and care less for the hip "indy" chic or classic rock junk (classic rock meaning anything before punk rock).

4. Wine over beer any day.

5. I believe that economics and market realities should trump bureaucratic regulations in most cases.

6. I hate lists!
    Satellite City Enabler

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I am almost always suspect of all "professionals", especially in pseudo-scientific fields such as planning.

I think building aesthetics/design codes (from a land use law perspective) have no reason to exist.

I think teardowns are almost always a good thing.
    Last edited by mendelman; 19 Dec 2007 at 6:13 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    Bubba - I like the new avitar. I sure do hope he comes to the Falcons.
    Amen, brother - I'm keeping my fingers crossed (which makes typing difficult).

EDIT: He ain't coming here. Link

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I hate arguing about politics.

I am embarrassed by my high post count and would like it to be reduced.

I don't really care when your birthday is or when you've reached the clubbbbeeee.

I'm not so hip that I disdain New Urbanism because it hasn't replicated my favorite urban neighborhood.

I don't bike 20 miles a day.

I'm not from the Midwest.

I'm cool.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I think historic preservation is overrated

I like sprawl and driving on wide open freeways in urban centers

I hate incentives for development but I will use them at every opportunity until they are no longer permitted

I believe international trade is good for the US

I hate Christmas and most other religious holidays

Some small towns that no longer have a viable economic base should be abandoned

I am looking forward to jury duty in February
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I like my house built in an environmentally sensitive area and land holding in the shadows of suburban sprawl. I wish I could divide it up into building lots.

The construction of a 4-lane highway by my house and now the conversion of the 4-lane to a free flowing freeway is pure DOT genius cause it will get me into the city faster, despite the sprawl that it will bring.

I’m supposed to be all about organic healthy food, but that $5.95 Chinese Lunch Buffet in the run down strip mall with the abandoned gas station is too good of a deal to pass by—and is tasty too.

My ‘Sprawl Marts Sucks the Life Out of Your Town’ bumper sticker has been spotted in the parking lot of the local sprawl mart.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I cant stand American Politics. Its uninteresting, boring and generally no one else in the world really cares.

Only farmers and police officers should have guns. The average person doesnt need them. The whole defending your family etc doesnt wash with me

'SUVs' or 4WD in (aussie language) are scary people killers imo and should be banned around schools.

Australian's dont tend to like New Urbanism, as it seems like it is an americanisation of our urban environment. Harsh but thats how it seems at the moment.

I like in suburbia- i enjoy it, but i also like the city. meh each to their own right.

I love heritage buildings

Clubbbing is silly, but oh well
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'll never own a subaru.

We put our money where our mouths are and had a solar hot water heater installed.

You couldn't pay me to live on a little teeny lot in a "walkable" part of any city.

I like billboards on highways so I can see what's coming up at the next exits.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    1. Unrepentant SUV owner

2. Politically a conservative

3. Economically a moderate

4. Environmentally a liberal

5. Technologically a Luddite
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I like billboards on highways so I can see what's coming up at the next exits.
    Yeah, I really don't see the problem with billboards. Especially, along highways and freeways.

And why do we care about signs on a property that cannot be seen from the public ways?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    While I like traveling, I like my own city even more.

I get cravings for McDonalds and BK and succumb to them.

I don't ride my bike as much as I would like.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I think public input is overrated and tends to help contribute to the decline of communities more so than help improve them. Some decisions should really be left up to the professionals. There is nothing wrong with the top-down approach.

I shop at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, and every other big box that's willing to take my money.

I think the FAC has become a repository for the mindless and mundane and I should be kicking myself for even posting in it.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I live in a snout house at the end of a cul-de-sac in a subdivision that would definitely be considered sprawl... AND I LIKE IT (think Dana Carvey's grumpy old man character on the SNL news).

We have plans to eventually build a modest dream home on a very rural 1-2 acre lot in the country, and we aren't farmers (although my husband comes from a family of farmers, and misses living in the country).

I feel that all-in-all people should be allowed to do what they want with their property, as long as it isn't detrimental to neighbors. If a retiring farmer wants their land developed into residential lots, who are we to tell him we won't allow it.

I shop at Wal-Mart pretty much twice a week.

I haven't ridden a bike in about 6 years.

I'm addicted to celebrity gossip, and I'm not ashamed of it.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Yeah, I really don't see the problem with billboards. Especially, along highways and freeways.

And why do we care about signs on a property that cannot be seen from the public ways?
    I'll third that

I actually love advertising on buildings and bus stops and in other public places. If I don't want to be bombarded with advertising, I go out into the woods...

Judging from the comments here and a lot of the postings and threads in cyburbia:

1. I don't drive, well maybe I drive once a month.

2. I like Modern Architecture, a big blank glass covered building can look cool.

3. I think too many planners are obsessed with classifying business types, is there really a need to have different regulations for places that sell tea and places that sell coffee?

4. If I was world dictator, I would ban all surface parking lots. Let em circle the street looking for an open meter - forever.

5. I dislike bicyclists. They are terrible on our streets (and even worse on our sidewalks - grrrrr)

6. I find it hard to believe that a new development going up next door or around the corner will destroy life as we know it. A lot of people get overly emotional about a proposed subdivision or office building.

Wait a second! Is this all a trick to flush out the non-believers? Let a hundred flowers bloom, let the hundred schools of thought contend. And then the purge comes....

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I like pouring $25/gallon race fuel down my carbon produce racebike just to satisfy some need I have to go fast.

I have a chevy tahoe, hey the faster we use it up the quicker we can move on to something else.

My personal space is a mess.

I live in sherman oaks, suburb for the entertainment folks, cause I like to oogle at the stars, the lots are big.
    I despise mass transit, Like my open space (big time westerner). I think all eastcoasters are gay))) (just kidding
    Last edited by craines; 19 Dec 2007 at 6:49 PM.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I live 25 miles from my place of work. I acknowledge that this was my own decision and do not complain about gas prices or drive times.

I think that ultimately Houston made the right decision not to get into the zoning business. They are no worse off than any other sunbelt city, and the lack of red tape makes it that much easier to redevelop.

I think the environmental message is being lost by over-emphasizing global warming while ignoring the MANY other good reasons for preservation, conservation, pollution reduction, etc.

I believe suburbs/sprawl have their place in planning. People have a right to choose; we as planners have an obligation to help educate people of the consequences of wherever they choose to live. There is good/bad to suburbs and living in intensely urban locations.

Gentrification does not particularly bother me.

I think too many bad decisions are made on the basis of historic preservation. Just because something is old does not make it historic.

I think we value public input too much, considering that it rarely takes an accurate snapshot of the public. Somethings really are best left to the professionals.

I think the majority of developers want to put out a quality development and are not in it just to make a buck.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 1:11 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 24 May 2005, 12:50 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Oct 2003, 10:29 AM