Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bring your dog to work

Registered
    Mar 2002

Bring your dog to work

I did a hunt of old posts and did not find a thread about this though Im sure we have talked about it

Anyway bring your dog to work? Today Trooper the beagle came to see mom at work for about 30 min or so to bring mom lunch. Steve is off work, its a slow week and there is no directive saying no dogs so by god Trooper paid city hall a visit. Co-workers LOVED him (of course hes a beagle I think there is some law you must love beagles) he loved on everyone he met, a couple of errant members of the public came in and got some love as well to their great joy. *yes I let them OK it before he loved on them* Everyone is now beagled, treats have been gobbled up and he is on his way to join Steve in a much earned nap.

So what say you about dogs in the office? I know I just wanted to keep him here and love on him all day but nothing would get done for his drawing every person and crumb to him.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We have no policies on pets at work, and co-workers occassionally bring their in for either vistits or the day.

I'm hoping to do the same with our new family member!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I would love to bring my pooch into work. She would love it and get way too much attention, and I would have to find a big field to play frisbee at lunch.

I'll have to check and see if we have any policies about pets in the workplace.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    When we got our chihuahua puppy a few months ago some co-workers jokingly urged me to bring him in someday, cause nobody would notice if I smuggled him in in my purse. But seriously, I'm pretty sure only aid-dogs are allowed here in the courthouse.

I have a co-worker who's wife is a college professor. And she takes their lab to work with her. The dog hangs out in her office with her, and when she leaves her office she puts up a baby gate and keeps the door open, so the dog can look out in the hall.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Curmudgeon Talk

I'd much rather have anyone bring their pet to work for the day than bring their child for any length of time. Pets aren't nearly as disruptive and are generally better behaved. That especially goes for my pets and children and both species are adults.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    You know, I've never looked that up in our policy. I'll have to check because I'd love to bring him. I brought him on days he was going to the vet at my old job because the vet was only a few blocks away. I never checked the policy there--I just did it and never got questioned.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I have a amped 110lb black lab that has just turned 2. I would love to bring him into the office, though unfortunatley he cannot sit still in the morning or for that matter much of the day.

I think though as a general rule having pets in the office is not a good idea as everyone should be able to bring in their pooch, kitty, squirrel or whatever.

Also with the proliferation of pocket pooches are new standards being drawn as where it is acceptable to allow pets in, ie resturants, malls, doctors offices and so forth.

My youngest got bit at fatburger resturant by mini poodle and the owner lady came off as though we were the wrong doers. I mean she was so visually shaken at the fact that her poochy could be traumatized by the event and paid or utter no concern for the child. My kid was literally in tears with pain and she had approached the pooch with technique and respect I had taught to use when around dogs and other animals ( I spent a portion of my life on my dads horse ranch in Leona Valley and was a part of 4h and FFA so i know my way around animals and absoultey love em) I mean this woman had brought a dog into a resturant, took him out of her purse and let the animal run around within a eating establishment with no regards to the other people in the establishment. Even the people behind the counter did not bat an eyelash.

I
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    A couple people brings their pooches by obn the way to the vet or groomer and it is fine. In fact we had a stray cat show up here for about three months and we let it inside daily and curled up on the floor and slept awhile.

I guess on an occassional basis its a great thing
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've got a German Shepard hund who is as smart as the day is long, but even so, I don't think I'd bring her into work. For starters, she is one of the worst grammarians I have ever encountered - I'd end up rewriting half the correspondence entrusted to her, and while she thoroughly understands the chain of command I suspect she'd regularly abuse the open door policy if given half a chance, not to mention she'd have to poo in the parking lot.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't like dogs. If my coworker brought their dog to work all day I would say "that's a cute doggie!" and secretly wish they never brought it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am not a pet owner. I am allergic to cats and dogs are ok if they are of the super calm variety but those are few and far between so I am perfectly ok without animals at work. If you work at a pet store, shelter, or some other animal type business I think that's ok.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I forgot about the pooh.............that means I would have to bring plastic bags for pooh picking up. And there would need to be some tinkle pots.

Though fetch in the office would be interesting!!
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In a private firm of 550, we dont have a written policy, but my branch office only has 4 people, all are dog lovers. I'm sure it could be arranged.

I love animals, leave them at home...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have a 180-200 lb. Neopolitain Mastiff. He comes in whenever he has a vet visit... it a good excuse.

He's well trained, stays behind my desk unless someone wants to meet him, and then does very well with people. I don't think he'd like it everyday, since he prefers to watch the house when we're gone, but more would be nice.

And Seabishop, if someone came after you in your office, you'd love my dog! His breeding has given him some instinct that determines the aggressor in a physical confrontation. He breaks up fights!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2002
    When I had my Rottie baby I so wanted to bring her to work and let her lay under my desk (she was very still and quiet unless bid to do otherwise) then have some jackalope lawyer start giving me crap

"wanna meet my snuggly baby girl....?"

hehe

Trooper the beagle is well behaved and made many new friends (and converts to his blog). The city manager and several other co workers bring their dogs in so I was not breaking ground there.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

I guess my thought is, what's the point? Is it a comfort thing...like you can't spend eight or ten hours away from pookie?

I have colleagues who bring in their pets every once in a while for an office "hello" and everyone gets a kick out of it. miserly, I am not, I would have 50 animals if I had the room and the finances, but I just don't get what the point is...can someone help me with that?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AirGarcia View post
    I just don't get what the point is...can someone help me with that?
    Pets can provide emotional relief and comfort - qualities notably lacking in most work environments.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    We have a dog that comes to work every day. Its a wonderful plus for us. My wife also used to work at an ad agency () and employees could bring their pets to work. It was actually pretty great: reduced stress (this has been studied), provided a catalyst for socialization in an environment that can encourage extensive cubicle-huddling, got people up and out of their seats more often (which apparently improves performance...to a point). I support it.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by AirGarcia View post
    I guess my thought is, what's the point? Is it a comfort thing...like you can't spend eight or ten hours away from pookie?...
    Amen, sib! Let's read these sterling words of Craines' again:

My youngest got bit at fatburger resturant by mini poodle and the owner lady came off as though we were the wrong doers. ...she was visually shaken at the fact that her poochy could be traumatized by the event, and paid or utter no concern for the child. My kid was literally in tears with pain and she had approached the pooch with technique and respect ...this woman had brought a dog into a resturant, took him out of her purse, and let the animal run around within a eating establishment with no regards to the other people in the establishment. ...

We all know "parents" with similar behavior towards raising their kids. Companion animals are not appropriate for the workplace. (Yep, I'm a meanie. With my private entrance and office I could manage to sneak in a pet, but why would I? The week I was relaying everyone to the vet, the kitty du jour sat in the car.)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Not where I work now; the PD is allergic to dogs, even my nearly hypoallergenic Porties.

I tried bringing Bailey to the place where I worked several years ago. Although she's a friendly, mellow pooch, her defensive instincts kicked in, and she gave a suspicious growl to everyone that came into the office. (When I take her on the road and she's not defending any turf, she's quite outgoing.) Guinness is much friendlier, but he's a jumper.

If the current PD ever retires, I'll probably bring Guinness in from time to time.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One of our two children would not do well in a work setting. She is a bit too skittish around strangers. On the other hand, our older child is about the best dog you can image. [BRAG] Roscoe is now a professional model, having been photographed by a professional [/BRAG] Personally, I love this photo.

This guy will crawl under the desk at home when I am working there. Suddenly I'll feel him lying on my feet or placing his chin on my knee. I miss that. I have suggested a "take your dog to work day" to management, as well as bringing up the possibility of pet insurance as a benefit.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I brought my 80 pound hound in on Halloween when I worked for a local municipality. He wore his ballerina outfit...and did he ever get treats.

There was a couple who got married at town hall...and their dogs were a part of the wedding party. That was a bit of fun.

I used to get regular visits from the police departments blood hound, Gracey. I loved her visits,,,,but sometimes she had pee-pee paws...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Before my parents died, we went to an attorney who specialized in elderly family law. He was about my age, old hippie and brought his dog to work with him. The elderly clients loved seeing the dog. I thought it was great. He owned the firm and if he wanted to bring his dog to work, he did. There are some attorneys out there who are not bottom feeders.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Montana's governor is famous for bringing his dog Jag to work and most official functions. But then again he is the governor. Pets belong at home, not at work. An occasional short visit wouldn't bother me but I would be really annoyed if it was a practice.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Work sample question - to bring or not to bring
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 12:40 PM
  2. Bring on the tinfoil hats....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 06 Jul 2006, 11:12 AM