Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portfolio

Registered
    Dec 2007

Portfolio

Hi everyone. For my portfolio, I have a lot of large artwork. I went to a graphic designer to scan, reduce it, etc for the portfolio. They didnt have a large enough scanner and had to cut the piece in half. It doesnt look very bad, but its noticable. They told me that they there is only one place in my area (Chicago) that has a large enough scanner, I called them, and they charge $25 per print. I am applying to 5 schools and simply cannot afford this. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Do you think it would be an issue? I was going to write in the description what the actual size is, I'm just not sure that would justify it.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Granted: I didn't turn in a portfolio for my application, but having reviewed the portfolios of a few other successful applicants, I would suggest that you simply take a high-quality digital photograph and explain the piece as you would given the ideal circumstance in which you would present it in person. Since you've already scanned it in two parts, it might be as easy as photo-shopping the two pieces back together. If it doesn't read well as a digital photograph, than you might consider other options - or even omitting this piece.

My gut feeling is that excuses - however valid - don't read well on applications and that admissions committees understand the difficulties inherent in reproducing an image given the constraints of a portfolio. Fitting to these constraints is part of the challenge, part of the problem-solving exercise they will be assessing. I am of the impression that, at least for admission to grad school, a successful portfolio demonstrates the meaningful integration of all work to date into a cohesive presentation, as opposed to the substance or quality of any individual piece. This may be different if you're pursuing an MFA, but, because you're here, I'd guess you're not.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    On re-reading your post, it sounds like you've already chosen a good strategy. I think you can probably forgo the $25 scan. Good luck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    accuraterepro.com

They are based in Naperville. I had them scan sketches drawn on trash or vellum at 24"x36" or 30"x48" at 600dpi for about $65-70 each. They will make a jpeg, tiff, or PDF. Just resize it in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Yeah it's more on the expensive side, which is why I don't do it that often (but it's a portfolio). Hopefully the school will return your portfolio after they review it for admissions, but this is not always guaranteed (same applies for applying to firms after school).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Portfolio for interview
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Apr 2012, 1:40 PM
  2. Help with portfolio!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Nov 2007, 8:26 AM
  3. Portfolio
    Career Development and Advice