Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Difference between grad and undergrad

Registered
    Dec 2007

Difference between grad and undergrad

One of the biggest decisions that an upper year undergraduate student has to make is whether or not to do a masters afterwards. I've started to think about it.. and knowing that many of you are either in or have done a graduate program in planning, I'm wondering if you can tell me what its like and how different it is from an undergrad (both academically and socially) . I know that there are a lot of grad school "guides" online but I'd prefer to hear from planning students. I'm assuming there are fewer tests/exams and more papers and research work.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by shoegazer View post
    One of the biggest decisions that an upper year undergraduate student has to make is whether or not to do a masters afterwards. I've started to think about it.. and knowing that many of you are either in or have done a graduate program in planning, I'm wondering if you can tell me what its like and how different it is from an undergrad (both academically and socially) . I know that there are a lot of grad school "guides" online but I'd prefer to hear from planning students. I'm assuming there are fewer tests/exams and more papers and research work.
    I think a graduate degree is worthwhile, however, if I had to do it all over again I would've worked for a few years instead of heading straight into a planning program. Luckily, it worked out for me in that planning was what I wanted to do.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    While I didn't go to graduate school in planning, I did go to graduate school (MPA). Academically graduate school is more focused. In my experience there were few tests and many papers. If you pick your paper topics carefully they can end up being much of the research effort for your thesis. The people in graduate school tend to be more academically oriented since they have selected themselves to continue their education. That said, some of the best parties I ever went to were in graduate school. Fewer drunken fools, better music and food.

Registered
    Oct 2007

online masters degree planning / community development program

I did extensive research to find an online masters degree planning / community development program, and the best one I have found is the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance. It is a 36 credit Community Development Masters Degree program available entirely online.

Students can be officially registered students at either of the following colleges: Iowa State University, Kansas State University, North Dakota State University, South Dakota State University, or the University of Nebraska. Each semester, students register for classes through the university that they are registered at, however each online class is taught by a teacher from one of the various universities. Students get credit for the class as though it was taught by the University in which they are enrolled. The Masters Degree issued upon program completion will be from the University which they enrolled, even though the student may never have visited the campus. It is a great concept, and works really well. It is very successful. It is extremely beneficial for students, especially busy planners looking for a way to get their Masters Degree without a lot of driving or time away from work or home.

http://www.gpidea.org/prospective/co...cdProgram.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 4:40 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 10:44 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jan 2011, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jan 2011, 5:27 PM
  5. Replies: 3